Underwater Camera Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daron

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everybody,

I will be going on a variety of dives in Costa Rica next month and, due to the unique marine life, I would like to get a camera and take pictures of the amazing experience while down below.

I'm open to recommendations. Like with anything else being purchased, I'm looking for a nice quality/affordability ratio. Ultimately, I'm a vacation diver and I'd imagine going forward I'll dive once a year.

Thanks in advance!
Daron

Hi everybody,

I will be going on a variety of dives in Costa Rica next month and, due to the unique marine life, I would like to get a camera and take pictures of the amazing experience while down below.

I'm open to recommendations. Like with anything else being purchased, I'm looking for a nice quality/affordability ratio. Ultimately, I'm a vacation diver and I'd imagine going forward I'll dive once a year.

Thanks in advance!
Daron
Hi Daron,
Where do you plan to dive, Isla del Cano? Ocumal? The Bats? In any case, diving there will be relatively deep and the weather will be mostly partly sunny or cloudy. Meaning, you will be shooting in the dark most of the time. So you need a camera that performs well at high ISO values and has a fast and reliable auto-focus. If you don't want to invest into a DSLR, I'd suggest Canon G-series, G16 or G1x Mk II (though the latter is not easy to control in Canon housing; the new Mk III is pricey). You will have few macro opportunities there, so you can safely ignore the camera's macro capabilities. And buy at least one flash. Intova's slaves are relatively inexpensive.
Good luck.

Hi Daron,
Where do you plan to dive, Isla del Cano? Ocumal? The Bats? In any case, diving there will be relatively deep and the weather will be mostly partly sunny or cloudy. Meaning, you will be shooting in the dark most of the time. So you need a camera that performs well at high ISO values and has a fast and reliable auto-focus. If you don't want to invest into a DSLR, I'd suggest Canon G-series, G16 or G1x Mk II (though the latter is not easy to control in Canon housing; the new Mk III is pricey). You will have few macro opportunities there, so you can safely ignore the camera's macro capabilities. And buy at least one flash. Intova's slaves are relatively inexpensive.
Good luck.
Yes I plan to do Isla del Cano...

Check out SeaLife cameras. The first SeaLife I had was the Reefmaster Mini (I think that was the name of it.) A great first camera that required no housing. Used it for topside pics also. At the time I bought a SeaLife external flash for it also which worked well.

I upgraded to the the SeaLife DC1200. In less than a year, the DC1400 came out which did HD video and more megapixels - I was a little bummed. Both cameras are the same size and require a housing. I still use the 1200 and added a video light. My flash fell apart eventually so I now use the camera's flash and/or video light. Mostly just the video light -turn it on when I want to take stills. Still get really good pics.

If I purchase a new camera in the future, I will look at the newer SeaLife cameras, such as the Micro 2.0, as they do not need a separate housing (less stuff to carry on a trip) and have a ton of features. Although I haven't used one, people I've met that have one love it. It is expensive and adding lights (flash or video) makes it more so.

For me, also a vacation diver, who takes 2-3 trips a year, they have been good cameras as they are pretty much point and shoot, although you can fiddle with the settings. There are YouTube videos shot with the 2.0, but the stills look good also.

Yeah, SeaLife cameras have large sensors too, so good performance at high ISO is expected (although I've never used a SeaLife camera myself).

A note: Learning to use a camera underwater effectively underwater will be the challenging part. A 'better' camera can result in worse images due to the added complexity and incorrect settings. Particularly if only once per year.

I'd recommend a used Olympus tg series camera and housing as a possible solution. Good resale value after your trip and fairly effortless user interface with a clever underwater mode.

Regards,
Cameron

There's so many options, that would be hard to suggest something without being more specific.

First of everything: action cams. Don't underrate them, they are not all the same. There's action cams that are capable of producing more than average underwater pictures and videos if used properly.

I own a SJCAM 5000X Elite, it's a "cheap" ($130) camera with an integrated red filter. I do more videos and pictures with that little naked thing than with my $2000+ gear (an Olympus MD-5 MkII with the case + 20k lumens lights).

If you aren't going deep with underwater photography and u gonna only do pictures during the holidays, I suggest you to save your money and use a good action cam, because any intermediate solution would be 1) not any better than an action cam; or 2) Too costly.

If you question would have been: I want to spend $1000 ...I would have replied, go an buy a Sony RX100 V with a case...I have seen the videos and pictures made by it underwater.. and oh man, that thing is incredible.

Personally... My advice to you, forget it. If you are only going to dive once a year, and you don't have the budget to get proper lighting, then you are most likely to just get disappointed with the results.

Dive without camera, have full focus, and enjoy the memories the way you store them in your mind. The photos will most likely not do your memory justice.

(If this isn't an option... the Olympus TG-5 is a good choice)

@Daron
It's difficult to recommend a camera without first knowing more about your expectations. How familiar are you with regular photography? how much underwater experience do you have as a diver? how about taking photos underwater?

It's normal for people to see an amazing photo and comment... wow! That's a great photo. If the author of the photo is around, the next question he or she gets is... What camarera do you have? It must be very expensive or very fancy!!!

Truth is, it's not the camera... it the skilled underwater photographer that captured the image. He or she made it happen.

Unlike topside photography, it takes time, practice and dedication starting with diving skills spanning from buoyancy control, navigation and buddy coordination. Nowadays we can pull out a smartphone and in a jiffy capture a pretty good photo. That's not the case underwater.

Light underwater behaves differently and when you add photo equipment, the more features it has, the more complex things get, not to mention keeping things from flooding.

Underwater photography is a fascinating activity. From your post it seems like you want to venture into it while on vacations. You will find it more rewarding if you practice often. The more you dive with a camera, the better your photos will turn out. Practice is of upmost importance. If you are unfamiliar with a camera and you want to start practicing 2 minutes into your dive, your not going to get satisfactory results.

@Imla suggeted you just go and enjoy your trip, forget about underwater photos and enjoy the experience. I think that's the best advice anyone has extended to you thus far.

Please don't think this is an attempt to discourage you from taking a camera underwater. It's actually the opposite. Go to your local dive shop and find who is the camera wiz there, if there isn't one, go the next next shop... you will find someone for sure. Signup for some underwater photography classes, check you local library or bookstore, or see if there is an underwater photography club that you can attend at least a couple of meeting or so. This is a better way of getting into underwater photography.

If you are able to do these things before your trip, you will also know by then what camera is best for you.

Enjoy your trip, have fun and be safe.

Cheers,

Ricardo

A note: Learning to use a camera underwater effectively underwater will be the challenging part. A 'better' camera can result in worse images due to the added complexity and incorrect settings. Particularly if only once per year.

I'd recommend a used Olympus tg series camera and housing as a possible solution. Good resale value after your trip and fairly effortless user interface with a clever underwater mode.

Regards,
Cameron
Ease of use aside, Olympus TG's will be the worst choice for Costa Rica. Just in case, I own TG-4.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom