Suunto EON Core? Where did this come from?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That being said... what about the Ratio? Makes a lot of claims.

I've done a lot of dives with "competitors" for the Shearwater. I've done dives with the Seabear H3 during its short tenure as a computer, the Ratio iX3M, Dive Rite Nitek Q, Shearwater Predator, Petrel, and Perdix, and the DiveSoft Freedom...probably others I'm forgetting.

For one reason or another, with all of the above, the Shearwaters have been the standout best for a variety of reasons.

@Father competition always breeds improved innovation because they have something to work against

The ratio looks good, and I've touched/felt/dove one, and it's nice, but it's slower and clunkier than the Shearwater, and it brings nothing to the table to justify the increase in cost...
The Dive Soft Freedom was almost close, but there are some really bad things with the GUI that need to be addressed. @victorzamora can speak more to that since his wife has one, but the gas change on it is horrific *tilt and tap, which is a joy on a boat deck*

The Shearwater computers are not perfect for all divers. Some stiff competition would be good for everyone. I have a NItek Q, just fine for what I use it for, far short of the perfect computer, and no longer available. And just to be clear, I have no interest in diving the Suunto fused RGBM algorithm, despite the fact it is as liberal, at least on the 1st dive, as DSAT, when you dive it at P-2.

Very sad, because I think Shearwater needs a serious competitor, but this just isn't it

I have been using the Ratio ix3m tech+ for few weeks now and it is EXCELLENT! This is a serious competitor to the two other main rec/tech computers, Perdix AI and SP G2.

Ratio Dive Computers - iX3M [Gps] Tech+

Easy to use and setup (if you understand deco and the terminology that comes with it). I still want to do a lot more diving with it before I can write about it.

I have been using the Ratio ix3m tech+ for few weeks now and it is EXCELLENT! This is a serious competitor to the two other main rec/tech computers, Perdix AI and SP G2.

Ratio Dive Computers - iX3M [Gps] Tech+

Easy to use and setup (if you understand deco and the terminology that comes with it). I still want to do a lot more diving with it before I can write about it.
Pretty easy to argue the G2 is not a contender with its proprietary algorithm.

Pretty easy to argue the G2 is not a contender with its proprietary algorithm.

You can argue it is easily too :) It is VERY popular outside the US's iron curtain and many techies use it.

You can argue it is easily too :) It is VERY popular outside the US's iron curtain and many techies use it.
The fact that divers use it does not make it right. You can only plan using proprietary software, does not match mainstream planning software or computers. That's not to say it wouldn't work, I'm sure it does.

The price is always a deal breaker though. $1,440 is a heck of a lot more than the Perdix AI with the AI pod.

Here it is £599, a transmitter £220. A Perdix AI is £894 plus the transmitter.

Max depth is only 80m though.

Here it is £599, a transmitter £220. A Perdix AI is £894 plus the transmitter.

Max depth is only 80m though.

so 820L with transmitter, $1084, not including shipping from the UK
Perdix AI with transmitter is $1175 shipped in the US-which is 890L for reference

so 820L with transmitter, $1084, not including shipping from the UK
Perdix AI with transmitter is $1175 shipped in the US-which is 890L for reference

My numbers include VAT. If you want to buy one from outside the EU knock off 1/6th. The UK price of Shearwater stuff is the same as the Canadian/US price. The UK distributer (Narked at 90) isn't ripping anyone off, Shearwater is just eyewateringly expensively due to 1) the 'just waiting to die' pound vs USD exchange rate and 2) the Shearwater being quite expensive.

I see the US Suunto prices are much worse that UK ones. I suppose since the UK is a large market for them they have tried to keep the price stable vs GBP. Also given the cost of production is probably 5% of the price they will be pricing based on what people will pay, which in real terms has fallen quite a lot due to the process of economic suicide we are presently undergoing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom