Grand Cayman Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hey everyone!

I’m going to grand cayman in November, and want to do a couple of dives. My boyfriend and I are newly certified and we are looking for dive company recommendations. The few vacation dives that I’ve done in the past have been so hectic and I didn’t feel like it was all that safe. We are looking for recommendations for companies that will take us to dive sites and be there if we have any questions. We are hoping to find a company that doesn’t pack in so many tourists that you can’t move.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

On the westside, Neptunes Divers or Indigo Divers might be good options. Neither takes more than 6-8 divers per trip and all oerators on Cayman put a DM in the water with you - it's a CITA requirement. There are a lot of others that would work also - just two I know of/reccommend. Off the Wall might be another good choice, they speicialize in small group, tailored dives for the same cost as anyone else.

Here's most of your choices. the shops with the big boats are Foster's downtown or Red Sail since both habndle some cruise traffic. E-Brochure | Cayman Islands Vacation, Caribbean Vacation | Cayman Islands Most have websites that describe their operations/trip sizes.

Tom S. at Off the Wall has a small six pack type boat and the time we arranged a PM 1 tank on the KW it was just the two of us divers, a DM and the Capt. Another thought for a relatively new diver looking for a more relaxed dive is to try Turtle Reef for a shore dive and book a guide to take you out. No boats, no crowds and very relaxing, especially with a guide. Enjoy your trip

As @scubadada said, there is no shortage of great operators on GC. I am partial to Cayman University Divers and Brad Nelson. Very personalized service. You may be the only divers on his private high speed boat and no one knows the island, its weather or dive sites any better than Brad. Grand Cayman Scuba Diving with Cayman U Divers
Have a great time!

we dove with Don Foster's when we were there on a cruise - small group - nice, competent dive master - can't say enough good about them

I liked Divers Down alot. I remember really liking Orange Canyon

All good recommendations so far (assuming you are not staying on the East side). I bring all of my newly certified, refresher, and uncertfied (resort) diver visitors to Casey at Neptunes. I also like Living the Dream - their office is across the street from the Westin on SMB. I dive a lot with DiveTech, but they seem to cater to more experienced divers. You can't go wrong with just about any dive op on the island, though.

Presumably as newly certified divers you will want to stay above 60 ft, but most of the dive ops do a deep (100' or so) wall as the first dive. When I was first certified I contacted a few ops, and they said I could trail along at 60', but that essentially made me a solo diver, and I was not ok with that. If you two are ok with buddying at 60' then you are good to go. If not, you may want look for a smaller op who can possibly customize the dives to your level of comfort, and email them to confirm. Neptunes and LTD were able to do that for me, before I got my AOW, but it can be luck of the draw depending on who else and how many are on the boat with you.

I dive a lot with DiveTech, but they seem to cater to more experienced divers.

Hi Mike, and thanks for diving with us. I would like to say though, don't let the name fool you, we cater to divers of all levels, and our most common customer is the entry level diver. Our staff always is willing to help change tanks, help divers and answer questions on anything. All you have to do is ask!

Hi Mike, and thanks for diving with us. I would like to say though, don't let the name fool you, we cater to divers of all levels, and our most common customer is the entry level diver. Our staff always is willing to help change tanks, help divers and answer questions on anything. All you have to do is ask!

Divetech was a wonderful operation at Cobalt Coast, I would imagine they are as good or better at their new locations. Routine dives were very good, extra dives like the West Bay Express DPV dive and the CCR experience dive were absolutely fantastic. I would not hesitate to use Divetech. I did dives at Lighthouse Point, excellent shore dives, only second to Turtle Reef in quality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom