You guys and gals are horrible!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, let me just say to the OP I'm here to help. I also I live in your neck of the woods; PM me with your contact info and we can be in touch. Never mind the fact I found SB & VDH whilst looking for a place to sell my one double hose-but now I have three.

I can help you with aversion therapy. Come over and view all the nasty chrome 109s/108s/Balanced Adjustables/MK10s/MK2s...DA Aquamaster, Kraken, and number 1of 9 ever made Pegasus.

Let's start your therapy with this image.

View attachment 429313

Couv

Couv, that just wasn't fair. I have a fetish for 109As

I have successfully completed the rebuild of a complete system. An xiv first (forgot to remember the year), xiv second (apprently 1980) and supreme second (apparently '82). These have all been tested/seated as per the VDH videos. I then dove with them in the pool. That was a neat feeling.

Digging into the Harlow book as well.

The worst part for me is when I see something on Ebay that I already have a spare of, and I still bid on it.

Well, my issue is if I can pick up another second, I would have another complete system. I keep bidding super low on first/second combos. 1) I need to stop bidding at all. 2) I need another first like a hole in my head.

I have successfully completed the rebuild of a complete system. An xiv first (forgot to remember the year), xiv second (apprently 1980) and supreme second (apparently '82). These have all been tested/seated as per the VDH videos. I then dove with them in the pool. That was a neat feeling.

Digging into the Harlow book as well.

Doesn't if feel good KNOWING the rebuild was done right.

Doesn't if feel good KNOWING the rebuild was done right.

It feels really good knowing that I am learning about it and did it myself. And while I paid attention to the details and am fairly mechanically inclined to understand it, I have to admit I probably wouldn't let the family take it anywhere other than the pool. The seconds are simple. I'd let anyone dive those. The primary, while really not super complex.........I'll be buying another couple of first reg rebuild kits. (For those keeping track of my reg to rebuild kit ratio. :D One of my firsts and seconds was purchased rebuilt from VDH.) Let me do it a couple of more times and then I might claim I know it is done right. :) Irrational, probably. Hopefully just dutifully cautious.

It feels really good knowing that I am learning about it and did it myself. And while I paid attention to the details and am fairly mechanically inclined to understand it, I have to admit I probably wouldn't let the family take it anywhere other than the pool. The seconds are simple. I'd let anyone dive those. The primary, while really not super complex.........I'll be buying another couple of first reg rebuild kits. (For those keeping track of my reg to rebuild kit ratio. :D One of my firsts and seconds was purchased rebuilt from VDH.) Let me do it a couple of more times and then I might claim I know it is done right. :) Irrational, probably. Hopefully just dutifully cautious.

txgoose, of course give yourself some experience both in doing the work and using the work. Once you have that background then you can have that confidence. The most likely time for a failure is right after servicing. Since you (or a loved one) is mostly likely to suffer, you are more likely to take care in the rebuild. Once you know what training is provided to service technicians you will realize that it isn't irrational to have confidence in your own work. BTW, I'm not dissing the vast majority of service techs - they do a good job.

............................................ Once you know what training is provided to service technicians you will realize that it isn't irrational to have confidence in your own work. BTW, I'm not dissing the vast majority of service techs - they do a good job.

You have no idea how true this is. I took an official class by a major manufacturer once. I don't think anyone in the room other than myself had any clue how a reg worked. We disassembled one model first and second stage BY HAND....it was not tightly assembled or working, looked at the parts and put it back together. No tools, no testing, no adjustment, no trouble shooting AT ALL but we all walked out of the room with a factory cert to work on their entire line of regs for that brand. It scares me to think some of them are still today working on customers regs.

I have to admit I probably wouldn't let the family take it anywhere other than the pool.
I predict it's just a short matter of time where you'll have the reverse attitude and insist that you be "the one" to service your family's equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom