The 7L Deco bottles option.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remy B.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Most of tec divers I have seen use one AL-80 with 80%-100% O2 for the last stop, based in that 50% of those 11L tank is for the Diver and the other 50% for your buddy or in case of an accidental (SHTV) over run of the plan.

Then I see the thread over buddy breathing, which we all were taught how to do, I guess mainly because carrying two AL-80 / 11L is cumbersome, but almost implicitly in a course they never talk about carrying two AL-40 / 5.6L or 7L bottles when you are doing the training.

I see a lot more advantage on carrying two 7L bottles as they are just little thicker than the AL-40 than carry one big AL-80.

Two 7L adds so much redundancy even more if both you and your buddy use them that it will virtually impossible to miss your Deco or be in the need of buddy breathing.

Is this a general training approach that in the course they directly go over buddy breathing an not pointing out other options, rather than use what is left of your 50% go to back gas and buddy breath.???

It seem logical that starting with even one 7L bottle ( if money is an issue ) will allow you to do baby steps in to Deco diving to a point that when you do bigger dives you buy your second 7L bottle, because the next big step will be two 11L bottles, but breathing out one complete 11L tank will put you in to CNS range issues anyway.

I currently only own one AL-40 bottle which I always keep with 50%, and when money is available I was thinking in a 7L rather than a AL-80 / 11L for 80% O2, and if later possible a second 7L bottle.

Sorry I'm not too good with Liter tank sizes. I used to use al40s for both O2 and 50%. Now the 50% bottle is always an al80. I find if simpler as I always have enough gas for more than 1 dive. I like a reasonable reserve and the al40 just wasn't enough. I still like an al40 for O2. I have friends who like the al63s(9L?) for O2 for the reasons you state. I have found if I need a larger reserve than the al40 it isn't that big of a deal to just use an al80 as I have several. Over time most technical divers end up with a lot of tanks, it becomes easier to pick and choose.

alternating doing 5 on 5 off and when you are "off" your buddy is "on" and vice versa solves the problem without the increased risk of having an extra high fo2 bottles on you to accidentally grab as well as the clutter of a second one.
Not really something I'd worry about. Your deco obligation will increase by about 50%, but it's a worthwhile tradeoff from having the cost/complexity/risk of a second high ox bottle

Background: As discussed in the other thread, buddy breathing on deco is very easy and not much of an inconvenience even.

Conclusion: The added risk of having a second o2 tank along to me is greater than the inconvenience buddy breathing might be in the unlikely scenario of needing to buddy breathe.

The risks that come to mind are accidental switches, added task loading, entanglement, drag, inconvenience and maintenance issues.

I'll carry a second 100% bottle occasionally, but it's always a calculated risk when back gas isn't a viable backup plan.

Adding unnecessary complexity to solve a non existent issue doesn't make sense to me.

Regards,
Cameron

Tbone, and Cameron I assume you use all bottles on your left side correct ?, as you comment about risk of using the wrong bottles and cumbersome as you will have 3 bottles on that side.

I use the Left is lean, Right is rich, even that it doesn't guaranty you from not doing a mistake, I find it as another barrier of safety beside it is more streamline, your buddy and your visual references are your first barriers, then comes the left and right method.

They teach talk to me about everything on the left side mainly because to the scooter thing, but I don't like it and choose for the left-right method as well I can't afford a scooter, it is understandable for cave divers but I don't do caves either.

Jack, Luxfer have a 7L tanks, I guess that is something like 50 or 55cf I guess, if a Al-80 is 11L, the AL-63 I don't like for the same reason of thickness of the tank, and cumbersome of two tanks of that size on your side, the AL-63 is a option for steps in to deco as it is shorter, but then I'm looking in to the easy of handing the hose of your emergency tank.

Last edited:
I use al80 for 50% and al40 for O2. I can get two dives out of this with rule of thirds.

I like the o2 being in the smaller tin as the buoyancy characteristics of the al40 are really nice. They are neutral when empty.

I always run a lost gas plan and for the diving I'm doing at the minute (limited to 30min deco) I can easily deco on back gas it just takes longer.

I mean I watched the thread with amusement about buddy breathing you deco gas and to me it's a none event. How often do regulators fail? I mean I've never seen one fail closed and when they fail they generally fail open and it's pretty easy to feather a stage. Absolute worst case I'd remove the back up from my left post and stick that on.

In OW they are all on the left if I'm in doubles because of the long hose, but the deco bottles may get "loaded" into the right side when in use if there are multiples.
If I'm in sidemount in OW for whatever reason then O2 is on the right
In a cave O2 for me is always on the right

It's not a right or left thing though, it's taking an extra bottle that doesn't really need to come in. If you want it for convenience of buddy breathing, then just put an extra second stage on each of your existing al80's or if diving from a boat, have a buddy bottle in the water *what we do for cave diving because no one wants to spend more time on deco than you have to*

I'm solidly dyslexic. Right rich is a great reminder when someone can consistently count on knowing which is the right... I need to visually verify and be particularly careful. Besides, depending on the configuration it's left or right for me...

I don't like the idea of an unnecessary extra tank along on the dive when it's filled with a lethal mix (100%) for the much of the time I'm carrying it. No matter where it is.

I'm a 'do what works' or 'keep it simple, sir' kind of diver. I often apply Occam's Razor to my dive planning. ...and learn from experienced people like tbone1004.

Regards,
Cameron

Last edited:
I'm solidly dyslexic. Right rich is a great reminder when someone can consistently count on knowing which is the right... I need to visually verify and be particularly careful. Besides, depending on the configuration it's left or right for me...

I don't like the idea of an unnecessary extra tank along on the dive when it's filled with a lethal mix (100%) for the much of the time I'm carrying it. No matter where it is.

I'm a 'do what works' or 'keep it simple, sir' kind of diver. I often apply Occam's Razor to my dive planning. ...and learn from experienced people like tbone1004.

Regards,
Cameron

who does the same thing and tries to learn the easy way from those that have come before me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom