Where to get VIP stickers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, folks, I've been doing my own VIPs for a while, and have spoken with the two dive shops I patronize for fills, and explained to them that I'm doing my own VIPs and how I do them. They are completely comfortable with what I am doing and are providing fills in cylinders I have inspected myself.

I've been using generic stickers from eBay, but have had problems with durability. They rip and fall off.

In an effort to keep this thread from going off the rails, I want to make a few things clear up front:

a) I am not misrepresenting what I am doing, and on the contrary have made it clear to the shops I'm using that I'm performing inspections myself
b) I am qualified to do this and am inspecting cylinders conservatively. I have and will continue to seek the advice of more experienced inspectors in borderline cases.
c) I am willing to scrap unsafe cylinders and have already done so in one case

While I have plans to obtain my own compressor in the near future, I am still thinking that I'll sticker my cylinders when I inspect them, mainly to avoid misunderstandings with divers who see my cylinders and think that they have not been inspected, but also for the rare situation where I need fills away from home.

Who can recommend a source for stickers that are durable enough for the dive environment, available in reasonable quantities for the individual diver, and that do not require formal certification through PSI or a similar group?

Who are you certified with ? They will provide you the stickers. If you buy generic stickers from a credible supplier you can normally get them showing proof of certification.

PSI won't sell you stickers unless you've taken a class from them within the last 3 years. They do not offer classes in my area, and I am reluctant to go this route anyway because I have a certain amount of principled opposition to the instruction creep/credential creep that I see inherent in the PSI way of doing things.

You may not like PSI for their methods and how they "creep", but their course is not so much about doing inspections but the proper documentation while doing proper inspections. They teach both the proper process and more importantly the proper documentation of the inspection. The Process is to insure you are not found negligent in a liability suit. You would have to take the class to understand the process behind it. I have and am currently recerting. Do I agree with all the info. NO but your number on the sticker says who you are the sticker says what inspection standards were used. Like it or not they are a highly respected organization and trusted teacher of the correct process.

Well, since technically a VIP is only good for the time between the inspector spinning the valve back on and putting gas in it, they're not actually doing much to protect anybody.....

I picked up some from Leisure Pro when I needed some real quick and they've worked out fine.

To some extent yes How about pits and % of area covered by rust. Neck cracks and stress issues. They don't happen over night, and probably will not grow to become a problem in the first year of existance. You are not only looking for current problems you are looking for signs of future problems. When i took the course it was made clear that you are to find a way to pass the tank and not fail it. If you dont know if a pit is too deep or not then it is a pass. If you still dont know you send it to another for a second opinion. The goal is not to prematurely fail a tank, especially on a aspect that is opinion.

To some extent yes How about pits and % of area covered by rust. Neck cracks and stress issues. They don't happen over night, and probably will not grow to become a problem in the first year of existance. You are not only looking for current problems you are looking for signs of future problems. When i took the course it was made clear that you are to find a way to pass the tank and not fail it. If you dont know if a pit is too deep or not then it is a pass. If you still dont know you send it to another for a second opinion. The goal is not to prematurely fail a tank, especially on a aspect that is opinion.

Oh don't get me wrong, periodic visual inspection is an important part of cylinder heath, but unless something untoward happens to a tank, the vis at hydro is more than enough.

Oh don't get me wrong, periodic visual inspection is an important part of cylinder heath, but unless something untoward happens to a tank, the vis at hydro is more than enough.
I can understand that position. its all the stuff you don't know about like getting a bad fill form a dirty compressor etc.

FWIW all of the stickers people have linked or referred to with the exception of those from PSI are bovine excrement. Any descent shop would reject them. However, given the state of the dive industry when it comes to VIPs my suggestion is just print yer own that say Inspected by Kilroy with a date and taped them on.

Otherwise take the required course and get stickers from PSI or TDI/SDI (not sure of their requirements).

Bring a photo of a PSI or TDI/SDI VIP sticker to a printer and they will make as many as you like...

Jim..

I can understand that position. its all the stuff you don't know about like getting a bad fill form a dirty compressor etc.

But a vis isn't going to prevent this. That's the problem. You could get a bad fill on the first pump out of vis. You're relying on your pre-dive check to catch that.

The issue is that a vis is literally ONLY good between the time the inspector spins the valve back on and the first time you pump gas in the bottle. Once it's hooked up to something, all bets are off. A vis isn't going to catch something like that, the diver will when their gas tastes like oil or they get a CO hit at depth, etc., and then they take the tank in for service. The issues that a vis WILL catch preventatively do not occur fast enough to require a 1 year recertification. The rest of the issues you will have with a tank are pretty damn instantaneous and are not preventable with yearly vis, so what's the point?

I get a vis when a tank gets hydro'd, and gets a vis when something happens like I dump gas to 0. No sense doing it any more frequently unless something has happened that could compromise the tank.

Otherwise take the required course and get stickers from PSI or TDI/SDI (not sure of their requirements).

My problem is the TDI stickers is they cost Twice what the generic stickers cost and are just as generic (no Shop name or Inspector number etc). So if the shop I am getting fills at has any question about a generic sticker I will show my cert card if needed and answer questions if that isnt good enough then I will take my business elsewhere. I have never had a sticker questioned by the way.

Back
Top Bottom