Suunto EON Core? Where did this come from?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would almost feel guilty using something other than my Perdix. But I really like the Suunto display. I imagine by the time you factor in shipping from the UK to my location it would end up being the same price as a Perdix or just short.

The Scubapro looks like it desperately wants to be a Perdix.

Whatever happened to the XDeep Black computers. I had some high hopes for them.... although their rendering didn't quite match up to the "production" version with the hex screws not setting flush with the screen. But it looked like a legit computer.

How about Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC computers?

No AI and they no longer run Open Source firmware on their recent models. I was really interested in OSTC until I learned they no longer use Open Source... and then Shearwater came out with AI.

where would you even buy a ratio if you wanted to?

@Dive Right In Scuba was carrying them. Now it appears they are not. I wonder what happened.

I've done a lot of dives with "competitors" for the Shearwater. I've done dives with the Seabear H3 during its short tenure as a computer, the Ratio iX3M, Dive Rite Nitek Q, Shearwater Predator, Petrel, and Perdix, and the DiveSoft Freedom...probably others I'm forgetting.

For one reason or another, with all of the above, the Shearwaters have been the standout best for a variety of reasons.

I still love my Seabear H3. If they were still around and had released the AI update like they said, I would probably have 2 of them. As it is, it is a most excellent partner to my Perdix AI.

The Shearwater computers are not perfect for all divers. Some stiff competition would be good for everyone.

+100 on all of that.

it brings nothing to the table to justify the increase in cost

Increased cost compared to what? It has features most others don't have. Some features not everyone will need but they are there for the ones that will need them (GPS, Gas Blender and O2 Analyzer for example).

Oh dear. I guess I can uncheck that box.

Anyone have insight on why they made this move?
Because only one person ever actually built their own version? And most of the rest of the world mostly can't even begin to read the code, and those that can look at it and decide not to buy?

Just guessing.

@stuartv xdeep had a TON of distribution problems in the US and a lot of dealers dropped them because they were such a terrible company to deal with...

Actually the main problem with XDeep is it's unreliable. A lot of people had issue with their computers underwater, ranging from blinking screen to total blackout. At one point too many issues were uncovered and company canceled production. There is another new computer from Poland hitting the EU market right now. Hopefully it will not repeat Xdeep story.

Actually the main problem with XDeep is it's unreliable. A lot of people had issue with their computers underwater, ranging from blinking screen to total blackout. At one point too many issues were uncovered and company canceled production. There is another new computer from Poland hitting the EU market right now. Hopefully it will not repeat Xdeep story.

The big issue I see there is a fixed-point CCR mode without the ability to switch setpoints. Doesn't really bother me as an OC-only diver, but it's something to consider for growth.

Back
Top Bottom