Scubapro 2nd stage - R108 or R109 or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know, I dived and dived using it in my youth and loved it!

Before you buy parts, determine which poppet you have and if it has been converted/is a 156. The kits are different.

btw, how would you check if it was 156 vs R109?

IMG_4641.PNG

I update mine using the latest S-wing Poppet.

IMG_4642.JPG

I know, I dived and dived using it in my youth and loved it!

btw, how would you check if it was 156 vs R109?

As I understand it, there were 2 poppets for the 109 and 2 for the 156 (aka balanced). You must use the later versions of either one as seats are not available for either of the early models. You can also upgrade the 109 to the 156 by changing several parts- poppet, spring and adding a balance chamber. You must dissemble the reg to determine which you have. Here is a link that explains the differences.
Dropbox - Scubapro poppet changes.pdf

Thanks again for all replies.

One more question:

On the exterior there is a number stamped into the metal below the mouthpiece: 892206 C

Is this the year and date (22 June 89) of manufacture?

I'm now thinking it's a 156 - I have vague memories of a manual / warranty card which said 156n or something similar, could it have started life as a 156 or was 156 the name for the kit to upgrade a 109?

So, which service kit would I need? I looked on VDH (great site!) and there is a kit 'For G250 and 109's with Balanced Adjustable update'
Store - Vintage Double Hose

This may seem like a dumb question but is a 156 the same as a 109 with BA update - and so would the BA kit do to service it?

Also, I've heard warning about the diaphram being difficult to replace - or is that for the 108

Would this one (Scubapro G250/109 NOS main diaphragm) be ok?
My major fear is opening it and damaging diaphragm so I'd like to have a spare

Last edited:
156=109 with balanced upgrade.

Check the video out that I sent you and open the second stage up to check the poppet. It's super easy and takes 5 minutes. @OWIC647 also has a video showing how to fully repair the second stage that will show you how to take it out

I wouldn't bother replacing the inhale diaphragm and the 109 is easy to find. The exhaust diaphragm may be worth replacing though

The only issue you likely have is that it probably was either upgraded, or is a 156 from the start, and has the old poppet that is no longer available (from that era, the poppet was switched with service). So, long story short, to maintain it as a 156, you need to get the s-wing poppet, and from here on, you just change the seat in the end of the poppet.

Now, just getting an s-wing poppet is not usually easy. It might not be a bad idea to get the full upgrade kit from Bryan, and have some spare parts available for the future.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom