Mares MR12T MR12s vs 15x

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spinal33

Registered
Reaction score
Quick bit of background - I teach and dive for fun in cold water (Switzerland) - so the standard here is to use a twin-first stage setup (either on a single cylinder with a double valve, or on twin cylinders).

When diving for fun, I tend to use a hog-like rig on a twinset, and when teaching I go back to PADI standard setup (but with two firsts on a single).

I currently use the Mares MR12T range of firsts, with the classic prestige seconds. I need to replace some of the gear, and have been offered some MR12s at a reduced price... but am thinking of going to the 15x range.

Both series are EN250a certified, so should be suitable for the job... but I like the 12T hose routing (they feel like they are designed for twinsets, and work both in the classic and long-hose setup...

Does anyone have experience with the 15x? Thoughts? How do they handle cold water? The 12T, even without the CWD, kit have handled ice diving without any issues.... so I kinda feel like I should stay with the setup I know and trust... but at the same time am concerned that spares will start being more and more rare...

Thoughts/comments?

the standard here is to use a twin-first stage setup (either on a single cylinder with a double valve

standard setup (but with two firsts on a single)

Is the requirement for the use of two regulators (two first stages on a "twin" valve) on a single tank instead of using an octo. a "community standard" or a standard set by law?

That's where it gets fun, the legal requirement is to have redundant air supplies (which in my mind is a twinset), but the accepted interpretation has been a twin-valve single tank is acceptable as long as the valves can be independently turned off. I believe this is the same in Italy, but am not sure.

<rant>What grates me is that no one teaches/practices s-drills, so on a bivalve single (or indeed a manifolded twinset), if you aren't able to do a proper shutdown drill in a reasonable time, then you don't want to learn to how to do it, in a drysuit, while your reg is freeflowing, 35m below... </rant>

That said, we digress :) I'm guessing your point alluded to EN250a being tested with an octopus setup on a single first stage in water <10c (or was it 7? can never remember). In August, when the water is at it's warmest, we tend to reach 5 Celsius (below the thermocline at 10-15m). Winter equates to ice diving quite often, and spring is iceberg diving (when the glaciers start melting again, and you end up with floating icebergs in the lakes). Point is, we don't get scared by cold water... I just need to make sure my gear is up to it... and having never tries the 15x series, don't want to stump up for 12 first stages without getting some advice (biggest concern really is that the 12T hasn't needed the extreme cold-water kit... ever. That adds 60-odd euro/francs to the bill per set if I need them for the 15x). I also plan to speak to the local dealer and see if I can take a set out for a trial run one evening... but one evening doesn't equate to someone who's used it for months...

M.

I guess if you are happy with your MR12s, you should stick to them.
I haven't dived the x15, but I'm sure they are as reliable in cold water as the MR12s are.
If your concern is the availability of spare part for the old MR12s, you should not be too worried.
Aqualung Titans and Legends are using the same HP seats, and you can even use their diaphragms, even when they seem to be slightly thinner and the flat filters. The o-rings you can get everywhere, so no need for a bigger investment when you can get those old and proven models very cheap in the bay or somewhere else.
It's just surprising that you seem to be happy with your Prestige 2nds which have been for me quite the worst 2nds ever sold by Mares concerning issues of free flow........

I guess if you are happy with your MR12s, you should stick to them.
I haven't dived the x15, but I'm sure they are as reliable in cold water as the MR12s are.
If your concern is the availability of spare part for the old MR12s, you should not be too worried.
Aqualung Titans and Legends are using the same HP seats, and you can even use their diaphragms, even when they seem to be slightly thinner and the flat filters. The o-rings you can get everywhere, so no need for a bigger investment when you can get those old and proven models very cheap in the bay or somewhere else.
It's just surprising that you seem to be happy with your Prestige 2nds which have been for me quite the worst 2nds ever sold by Mares concerning issues of free flow........

May I ask which version of the prestige do you use? Is it the older one with the many small holes on the matt plastic cover, or the new one with the shiny/glossy cover?

I have the older ones - and haven't had too many issues. The odd freeflow when someone jumps in, but nothing too often during dives. If the newer ones are an issue, I may look at something else for the seconds...
M

@Spinal33

Sorry for the confusion, I mixed up the Prestige with the Proton, never had really problems with the Prestige!:rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom