Underwater Camera Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on whether you want to shoot WA with balanced ambient, or whether you want to shoot macro/semi-macro where ambient light doesn't matter. I prefer the former, so low-light capabilities are high priority for me. I don't think I'll ever go back to a compact, no matter the issues of handling a larger rig with strobes on long arms.

Agreed. Wonder if a used dslr or mirrorless kit is the OPs budget... they truely are wonderful upgrades.

...about to have nice strobes myself after tasting the potential after a friend loaned me a pair for a year.

Unless you are already knowledgeable about still photography, I'd just get a GoPro with the LCD screen (not all models have that built in), a simple handle, and a removable red filter. They are small and easy to use, not requiring any manipulation other than turning on and off. Just take pains to hold the camera still and pan it a lot more slowly than you think necessary. For documenting a dive, I find the results more enjoyable as you get to see so much more of the dive, both during and after.

U/W still photography ranges from a bit to a lot more technical, and is demanding of your attention. More frustratingly, it takes some patience and skill to get good images of sea life, whether mobile or stationary.

fish1.JPG turtle2.JPG sponge1.JPG PICT0024.JPG PICT0077.JPG PICT0181.jpg PICT0083.JPG PICT0134.jpg PICT0094.jpg PICT0035.JPG
I'm a vacation diver and I'd imagine going forward I'll dive once a year.

Posted earlier about checking out SeaLife. Wanted to follow up after reading some of the other posts. Still think for your purposes, a camera without a separate housing is a good option for you and they're (SeaLife anyway) good for down to 200 ft. SeaLife now has the Micro 2.0 which has a permanently sealed camera so there is no chance of leaking, but as with any camera, there are positives as well as negatives. The DC2000 uses a housing and also has positives and negatives. Most are ready to use right out of the box (after charging battery.) They range from 16-20 megapixels and both have 1080 HD video. I don't believe that you have to be an expert to get good quality stills. I started using a Sealife 6 megapixel camera on my 7th dive - I felt comfortable about my diving and you have to learn sometime.

My buddy has a GoPro. He has 100's of video clips from dives we've done. Although some of the videos are nice, he has to watch through clip after clip to find what he wants. He is not disciplined enough to watch a bunch of clips to find a specific subject he wants nor turn any part of the clip into a still. Total waste of time for him to take camera on dives so he quit over a year ago.

The first 7 pictures above were some of the first pictures I took with the 6 mp camera. The first was taken at about 90 feet and I forgot to use the external flash. The last 3 were taken with a 12 mp SeaLife camera. On all, I manipulated them slightly with a photo editing program. Think they turned out fine and I'm not a superstar photographer. Keep it simple and be happy with whatever you wind up with.

Have you thought about a simple underwater housing for your smartphone? I have a watershot housing for my iPhone 6s paid $40 plus shipping works awesome ( well I think it does lol) these were taken without a light at about 30’ with about 10’ of viz.

Attachments

• 1A5967E7-9DE1-4DF7-8D47-DE0E42EF8300.jpeg
    1A5967E7-9DE1-4DF7-8D47-DE0E42EF8300.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 5A90197B-67F1-4BB8-93B3-4B7130AB7D65.jpeg
    5A90197B-67F1-4BB8-93B3-4B7130AB7D65.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 187
Have you thought about a simple underwater housing for your smartphone? I have a watershot housing for my iPhone 6s paid $40 plus shipping works awesome ( well I think it does lol) these were taken without a light at about 30’ with about 10’ of viz.
Thanks for that! Is it easy to use?

Go big or go home! Canon 1D-X II, 14 2.8L, Sea and Sea housing and strobes and a big ol' dome port.

Red Dragon and Gates housing for video!

Or do the smartest thing and get a GoPro or similar with a couple filters and carry it until you figure out exactly what your needs and wants are, and how well you deal with the added task loading of using a camera underwater.

Go big or go home! Canon 1D-X II, 14 2.8L, Sea and Sea housing and strobes and a big ol' dome port.

Red Dragon and Gates housing for video!

Or do the smartest thing and get a GoPro or similar with a couple filters and carry it until you figure out exactly what your needs and wants are, and how well you deal with the added task loading of using a camera underwater.

Why not a Nikon D850?

I agree. GoPro is the way to go for most folks. Set it to take shots every few second and make sure to have a large micro SD card. Get a wide angle dive light, too. Many shots will come out crappy, but you will get some good ones, too. Good enough for Facebook, at least. The only thing you will waste by doing this is your time filtering through the shots. Oh yeah..., the red filter is a must (as stated by others).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom