Should I go Full Metric from the Start ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even if I dived with a computer that has Air Integration, I would use an independent SPG all the same.

The "If you need 1, then you need 2 " philosophy, I believe.

Well then, you have the answer to your problem. Use one SPG in Imperial and one SPG in Metric! :D

then why don't we use dual SPG's in normal recreational diving? If you dive AI I recommend keeping an analog gauge on the boat, but what are you doing that is so mission critical that an SPG failure or HP hose failure *VERY VERY common* wouldn't allow you to call the dive?
I think when wireless AI was introduced, there were widespread issues with transmitters/receivers dropping out which did make the a lot more problematic than the simple SPG so I can understand the historical position of rec & in particular tech divers to wireless AI.

In this age though, the rate of drop outs/faults is probably approaching that of SPGs so I would agree that it is now getting to the point at which it is SPG or AI but not both at the same time. I will be stripping mine and putting it in my gear bag as a spare (just need to check the SPG will be robust enough without the boot or buy a single boot for it - it is as per the link).

Temp for those who really want to get it right is for F to C is subtract 32, multiply by 5 and divide by 9.

I have a simple way in my head for it though:
Take a temp in F - say 80F.
Subtract 32 = 48
Multiply by 5 = 240 (easy mental way is multiply by 10 and half it)
divide by 9 = 26.4C (divide by 10 and and a tenth of that back)

Makes the mental arithmetic a lot easier as instead of working out what 1/9 of 48 is.

Reverse is easy as well:
Take a temp in C say 30
multiply by 9 =270 (x10 less a tenth)
divide by 5 = 54 (divide by 10 and double it)
Add 32 = 86.

The only thing to really remember is which way the 32 goes (I tend to think of it by way of the alphabet and their place in it - C is lower than F so C<F is lower therefore subtract.)
Whoa--too much work for me. Memorizing "what =what" in the other thing seems easier (60F=16C and figure out what 63F is from that). But my wife always says I'm a "memorizer". I learned kilometers by looking at my speedometer which had both. Our latest car has a speedometer where you push a button to change from one to the other--that wouldn't have helped me at all.

an SPG failure or HP hose failure *VERY VERY common*

SPG failures and HP hose failures are very common ???

I had no idea.

Last edited:
SPG failures and HP hose failures are very common ???

I had no idea.

SPG failures are exceptionally rare, the only ones I have seen were the plastic ones failing catastrophically, and the good ones going WAY out of spec for accuracy

HP spool failures are VERY common, and I'll see a couple a year on my personal regs *granted there are 12 of them, but still*
HP hose failures are not uncommon, though I had 4 fail on my in the last year. They usually don't fail catastrophically they usually just look like an air stone in an aquarium, but it's still enough to call a dive.

With that, if I were to run AI, I would not put it on a HP hose, and I certainly wouldn't use a standalone SPG unless the dive was mission critical. I don't really know of anyone who does that, including the elite cave divers *of which I am not*.
The analog SPG introduced 2 extra o-rings with a high propensity to fail, as well as a hose which has a pretty high propensity to fail, all to be able to continue a dive in the event that you lose signal from the transmitter? That doesn't make any sense to me

Us new divers raising all these basic issues, I guess ... :)

Last edited:
Of course the math is easier in bar. But intuitively 40 bar just doesn't mean anything to me. Indeed, I do these sorts of mental shortcuts all the time so I can visualize it. @tbone1004 nailed it in his previous post by equating it to language. Unfortunately, I spent a lifetime thinking in the "language" of imperial units.
Alright fair enough, but also realize that context has a lot to do with understanding, assessing and giving meaning to a particular value. For example, 40 bar metric remaining and showing on a SPG means to me I better be at the surface and have just ended a dive.
I was certified OW and Advanced twenty years and did about 30 dives but then stopped diving. I am starting back again and have projects to do a GUE Fundamental Skills course very soon.

I downloaded the course materiel and started doing the gas management exercices. I have been doing a lot of supplementary reading also. Comparing the Metric and Imperial systems, it appears the Metric is much more simple and intuitive for all aspects of dive planning.

I am thinking of going Full Metric and for instance buying a SPG that reads in Bars instead of PSI.

I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and I realize that probably most potential buddies around me will still be using the Imperial system.

Any thoughts and comments about me taking this route ?
Why Metric is more convenient both pre-dive and during the dive. . .

Gas pressure math is harder using more cumbersome US Imperial Units because of that extra superfluous digit in a PSI unit value:

In other words
-->which is the quicker much easier subtraction arithmetic to see & figure?

3000 minus 1160 equals 1840 PSI?

Or: 200 minus 80 equals 120 BAR???

All you need is a simple analog Bar SPG to confirm what you already figured and know in your head.

(Do you have a clue now @stuartv ?
If not, then you really ought to get two Perdix wireless AI units, one for each wrist, along with a redundant Data Mask and a NERD heads-up-display. . . all telling you what you need to know.)

Last edited:
Lol ! Do you guys talk to yourselves like that all the time ?

I speak metric. I know that when the needle is in the red area, I need to be on the surface getting a fill. I know that if it's colder than 27 I need a wetsuit, and if I'm deeper than 40 Meters, I need to have a gas other than nitrox. Anything else is just details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom