Cruise stopover in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tripdaddy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,

We (4 adults, 3 kids - only 2 adults dive) have Cozumel as one of our ports of call on a cruise next month.
Now I must admit, I am not as much of a diehard diver as I was before the kids, but I still dive every year.

Last time in Cozumel was more than 10 years ago, when I took a ferry from Playa Del Carmen during a one-week all inclusive vacation. I missed out on Palancar Reef because the main harbour was closed due to high winds. So I am really hoping to dive Palancar during our stopover this time.

A few questions please:
  1. What's an easy/inexpensive way of getting from the port (main international port, I think) to Playa Palancar for the group of 7 of us?
  2. Any recommendation for dive shop? We are experienced divers and are not looking to be catered to with kids gloves. Price is a big consideration.
  3. Do you suggest getting a dive outfit in town/port or find one when we get to Playa Palancar?
  4. What does a 2 tank trip go for at Palancar Reef?
  5. One specimen I really want to see but haven's seen is the toad fish. What are the chances of seenig one at Palancar Reef?
Thanks.

Cheers.

If there are seven divers then you can easily charter your own boat and ensure that you go where you wish. The cost of a charter usually runs about the same as the cost for 4-6 divers. This would ensure that you could go and see the reefs that fit your priorities. Most dive ops travel from town or the Marina (various starting locations) to Palancar and beyond on a daily basis. With a charter you could arrange a pickup near the cruise ship port.

There are 3 piers you could arrive at, one downtown & 2 about 2 miles to the south. One of those is the International Pier & Dive with Martin's shop is right there. That said you do have enough people to book your own package with many ops who can get you what you want at a fair price. Next question will be what time can you be off of the boat for pick up or to catch a cab to the marina etc.

FYI.....Dive With Martin is not currently at the International Pier due to construction until at least mid November. They are at the marina, but are still picking up at the hotels as usual.

If you've got a group of 7 divers, I would DEFINITELY charter your own boat, and make arrangements well in advance so that the Dive Op can pick you up right at the Cruise Ship pier and have all necessary equipment on board. There are several dive ops that can probably accomodate you, provided you make reservations far enough in advance. If price is a consideration, Dive with Martin is a very good low-end operator, AND it includes rental equipment with the dive price. Figure out what everybody needs a few days in advance, if some or all of your divers aren't bringing their own fins, masks, Regs, BCs, computers, etc. Dive with Martin is located right at the end of the International Pier, so if that is where your ship is coming in, that's going to be very convenient. If you want more from your dives, like the long bottom times of Steel 120 tanks with Nitrox, long SI at a beach club, etc., try Aldora. Other very good valet operators include Blue XTSea, Liquid Blue (another operator with Steel 120 tanks), Tres Pelicanos, and others. If you charter a boat, you can decide where to go. Let me suggest Palancar Bricks or Palancar Caves as a first deep dive, and either Columbia Shallows or Palancar Gardens as a second shallow dive. But ask the DM - conditions at the sites can vary day by day, and the DM will know which sites might have what you are looking for.

...well in advance so that the Dive Op can pick you up right at the Cruise Ship pier ...Other very good valet operators include Blue XTSea...,

Thanks for including me in the list Dan - but a very important correctio - dive shops cannot pick up at the ship pier. There are heavy federal regulations etc. It's not simply a matter of making arrangements in advance for that :)

And yes, if a boat is chartered, you would be able to call your dive sites provided that conditions are normal and experience level is appropriate for the sites requested. Otherwise, please remember there are other paying divers on the boat as well who also get a vote in where to go. They may have already dove the sites you are requesting the day before - so keep that in mind. :)

If you've got a group of 7 divers, I would DEFINITELY charter your own boat, and make arrangements well in advance .... If you charter a boat, you can decide where to go. Let me suggest Palancar Bricks or Palancar Caves as a first deep dive, and either Columbia Shallows or Palancar Gardens as a second shallow dive. But ask the DM - conditions at the sites can vary day by day, and the DM will know which sites might have what you are looking for.
What he said! I was just at the Bricks last week and loved it. Columbia Shallows is one of the best for marine life and max bottom time.
Have fun!

Cheers - M²

Let me try to clarify something, I think the OP is looking for an opportunity to dive for two adults and maybe going to leave the kids somewhere to play. I have gone through this route before. It really depends when you ship arrives and leaves. Unless you boat gets there early you will probably miss most of the AM boats. I know some operations that my have a later in the morning boat. Going on the PM boat might put you too close to you ship leaving. So if you tell the group what tiome your boat gets there and leaves they may be able to help you.

I misread your post. I would talk with some of the dive ops that are fairly close to the International Pier to see if they can a boat load (counting you two) for a mid-morning departure. I know of one dive op that doesn't leave their pier until 8:30 and may be a little flexible. Will you be bring your own gear? If you are set on going to Playa Palancar, there are several dive ops that would be able to pick you up there (I think). Get on the internet and then CALL several and see how they can accomodate you. I'm pretty sure it's doable. I have some in mind, but I'm not going to be a cheerleader openly for any of them. Good luck and happy bubbles.

Cheers - M²

If you have 7 divers there will not be other divers with most quality dive ops. A late pick up would be no problem for Aldora as we have 9 boats total and always some in reserve. We also do our surface intervals at Playa Palancar.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom