High(er) end canister?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coldwaters

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the market for more of an expensive type of canister ($1 500 +/-) for wreck and semi tech diving (not foto). I've been looking at Gralmarines DUO 14 model, which is supposed to give around 16 000 lumen, but are concerned about the relatively wide angel (16*).

Does anyone have suggestions for a heavy-type canister (or has experienced the DUO 14)?

I would say that these lights a little bit outdated , that is almost video light I think looking these leds , beam should be wider than 16°

Using multiple single emitters with multiple single lenses means lost in efficiency ( input power vs output power )

Modern ''wide lights '' uses COB leds ( chip on board ) in combination with thin Fresnel lenses or structured surface reflector.

Under Water Light Dude. Hands down the best can lights on the market.

I'm very interested in this thread/subject and would love to read some objective opinions/facts/recommendations on mid/high-end primary canister lights. Seems to me, as said before in this thread, as a very deceiving market where lights can be specified as 5000lu, which they even may have but in reality the light is good channeled or for whatever reason this 5000lumen light is not as powerful/useful as another 3000lumen light and then there's also the Led vs Hid discussion....
So.. In short version: I'd love to see your opinions about the lights you guys know from experience...

I myself have just bought a single Orcatorch D520 1000lumen for 90euro to test it. I've dived with it this week twice in the night (in the dark water of The Netherlands) , it was decent. Unfortunately it can't be focused but that's fine for the purposes of this light for me. This light is one of three in the ISE Alien Light 2 setup (which is marketed as (possible/lightweight) primary light).
Which I'm gonna buy next week (the handle and another two Orcatorch D520's) which makes a total price of 360euro (3x d520 =3x90 + 1x handle = 1x90) so not exactly a high end canister light but they market the setup as a primary light.

c6a352e9dd5f178ee08ee861167a5d2b99fd5476.jpg

I'm gonna use the complete setup as primary light on rec. dives and I'm gonna use 2 of the lights as backups in tech rig.
Of course I need to see for myself how the complete ISE Alien Light 2 works out.

Personally I don't like too small battery pack and running it ''on the edge '' because battery chemistry can quickly go some own way and you can stay because of some strange leakage currents in dark . So my choice for small packs is always 26650 and + if is enough space .

One strong led is very adaptable for beam changing . Better is one led because of more manageable cooling thermal path
instead of cluster , in your case have more redundancy , but in truth for that you have backups.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my choice for most canisters (wired and handheld is zoomable light ) + normal DIR backups (could be Lion 26650 because of lower and much longer )self-discharge curve
(i have modified 5 years ago MB SUB X1 zoom backup to canister ) in that time it is interesting for me modifying
Amazon.com : Tovatec Fusion 1000 Lm 100m Waterproof Video LED Dive Light Flashlight : Sports & Outdoors need only enclosure & lens mechanism

Under Water Light Dude. Hands down the best can lights on the market.

Wow, I've been looking into these lights and damn if you look at the uw dive light
3500 Lumen Primary if it's half as good as it looks than you might be very right. What really makes these lights crazy is the possibility to connect 2 lightheaded or 1 lighthead and 1 heating solution to one canister. Lol, I can only imagine what 2x a 3500lumen lighthead looks like :wink:

Thank you, guys, for making it even harder to choose a new primary torch:rolleyes::bounce:. The HW80 looks insane, but 2 300 euro is a little bit above my budget, but I will follow up on your other leads, Lucca. TY:thumb:

And any other opinion on the subject will be appreciated indeed.

Back
Top Bottom