Suunto EON Core? Where did this come from?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@BurhanMuntasser my bias is actually to find a computer that I like better than the Shearwater so I'm specifically looking for one to be better and wanting it to be better.
Suunto's in comparison to the ratio are quite terrible, but the Shearwater just makes it so stupid easy to navigate, especially in water for gas switches, is something that no one else has been able to get to

It is OK @tbone1004 we will invite you to the steak dinner and you can have all of the T-bones you like, @stuartv is buying anyways.

Regarding the original post, I don't know what currency you quoted but definitely not US $. The recommended price for Eon Core is 699 euros. Suunto EON Core Black dive computer with color screen and big numbers

The Eon Core is not primarily targeted to tek divers, so it is a bit funny to see so many references to tek computers in this thread. But of course, Eon Core can be used for tek diving as it has the same software than Eon Steel, with 10 gas mixes available and tank pressure logging for each gas and the safe RGBM algorithm verified by US Navy divers that takes into account much more than the simple GF Bühlmann. But mainly with the Eon Core many wishes from customers have been realized. It is smaller and light weight compared to Eon Steel, which wet suit divers appreciate. And it is considerably lower cost. Cost could be reduced by leaving out the robust steel bezel that will survive rough environments, which serious tek divers do appreciate. Also, the protection of the display is different. The Eon Steel has the display laminated to Xensation glass, giving extreme durability and a very wide viewing angle. In Eon Core the display itself is the same large and bright color display and looks the same when viewed from the front. But the display is not laminated to the window so the viewing angle is not as good as in the Eon Steel. Both computers are rechargeable, which I appreciate for reliability, because there are no battery compartments that might start to leak at a critical point of a dive. Also, the charge state of the battery is better known compared to putting in a new battery that might reveal itself to be faulty in some way during a dive.

Myself, I prefer the Eon Steel when diving with dry suit, but going light weight with a wet suit the Eon Core is really great.

-Tom / Suunto Test Diver

...The Eon Core is not primarily targeted to tek divers, so it is a bit funny to see so many references to tek computers in this thread. But of course, Eon Core can be used for tek diving as it has the same software than Eon Steel, with 10 gas mixes available and tank pressure logging for each gas and the safe RGBM algorithm verified by US Navy divers that takes into account much more than the simple GF Bühlmann...

Hi @Tom Ahola

I was under the impression that US Navy divers dived Cochran computers running the Thalmann VVAL 18 decompression algorithm. Maybe this is not current or correct. Regardless, I'm quite sure a computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF would be just fine for Navy applications, and could be set to fit the specific circumstances of the activity. Are you employed by Suunto or do you simply do test diving for them independently? The former should be explicitly disclosed in your posts.
upload_2017-11-13_7-33-18.png

@Tom Ahola the price he quoted was I believe for the Steel, but the Core in the US is still $1k, 25% more than the Euro price.
The comparison is drawn to the Perdix because it is the most "comparable" computer on the market. Since it does similar things and is at a similar price point.

RGBM is not considered a state-of-the-art algorithm and is not favored by any decompression scientists that I am aware of.

Hi @Tom Ahola

I was under the impression that US Navy divers dived Cochran computers running the Thalmann VVAL 18 decompression algorithm. Maybe this is not current or correct. ... Are you employed by Suunto or do you simply do test diving for them independently? The former should be explicitly disclosed in your posts.
View attachment 434512

Sorry I was not clear enough. The RGBM algorithm has been validated against Navy dives by Bruce Wienke of Los Alamos National Laboratory. Meaning that the database of a large numer of their dive profiles and the outcome has been checked computationally against the RGBM algorithm using their supercomputer. I believe Bruce Wienke said that they have also done actual dives with a dive computer with the RGBM with them for testing and verification.

And yes, I'm employed by Suunto and have occasionally helped out fellow divers here in Scubaboard sorting out various questions and problems they might have with Suunto products. I also listen to feedback and report to product managers. We know what tek divers want and there will be coming Eon software updates that will make many more divers happy. It takes time because we want to make sure it is safe by elaborated testing. It is also difficult because our large base of current customers trust in our reliability and safety and we need to keep that promise.

-Tom from Suunto

Sorry I was not clear enough. The RGBM algorithm has been validated against Navy dives by Bruce Wienke of Los Alamos National Laboratory. Meaning that the database of a large numer of their dive profiles and the outcome has been checked computationally against the RGBM algorithm using their supercomputer. I believe Bruce Wienke said that they have also done actual dives with a dive computer with the RGBM with them for testing and verification.

And yes, I'm employed by Suunto and have occasionally helped out fellow divers here in Scubaboard sorting out various questions and problems they might have with Suunto products. I also listen to feedback and report to product managers. We know what tek divers want and there will be coming Eon software updates that will make many more divers happy. It takes time because we want to make sure it is safe by elaborated testing. It is also difficult because our large base of current customers trust in our reliability and safety and we need to keep that promise.

-Tom from Suunto

since RGBM is much more computationally intense than ZHL, why not allow dual-algorithm? Shearwater has VPM and ZHL, you guys could offer RGBM and ZHL and become competitive in that market. Add in adjustable setpoint in rebreathers, and it may actually be a viable competitor to the Shearwater

Back to the EON Core.

I feel sorry for all those SUUNTO dealers sitting with Eon Steels on their shelves. They will make a nice boat anchor if you string them together. Selling them will be nigh impossible against the Core.
Same situation for shearwater dealers when the perdix was released wasn't it? Maybe the manufacturer will throw them some kind of bone.

I have an Eon steel with around 400 dives on it and I'm not affiliated with Suunto in anyway, so take my comments as a user's observations.

The Eon Steel is heavy, I do notice it if wearing a rash guard, and it's weight is a little uncomfortable. 3mm upwards its fine.

The Screen display is as good as the picture. I dive it in the Middle East and it's readable in the bright summer sun (without sunglasses). Even having my screen set to max gives me around 33hrs of dive time before recharge (I never leave it that long)

You can have 3 varients of screen display, the graphical, the classic (just numbers) or the new one introduced with the core firmware update - I forget the name) By contrast the Perdix display looks positively 90's with its graphics (although a huge step up from the black text of other computers.

I'm not getting into the pro's and cons of algorithm, however I will say this (@scubadada ) I have carried out real world repetitive dives over multiple days with people using the Perdix (All on nitrox, generally to the 40m range) with the Eon set to -2 (most liberal) and Perdix set to it's most liberal in Rec mode, the Eon consistently has more NDL time

I don't engage in proper technical diving, I'm limited to 50m max, and prefer not to make long deco hangs - again I've not been limited by it. I have yet had a Perdix alongside it for deco.

The OSTC is a fine computer too. I'm waiting to get my hands on the OSTC 4 for a play, but the OSTC plus has a nice screen too.

Here in the Middle East, again the Eon and Perdix are competitively priced, however the Perdix needs shipping to the UK for repair whereas Suunto have an efficient centre here

@BurhanMuntasser am I going to have to pay a bounty in order to get you to post a review of that iX3M? I've been eyeing it as a replacement for my shearwater petrel for some time now.

@Diving Dubai the RGBM algorithm works fine in the depths and times you're diving. It's when you get into trimix that it gets really wonky and far from anything recommended by current research. I'd have no problem diving it in nitrox/air depths, but would not consider it for trimix diving.

Sadly OSTC is not available in North America and at least as of about 6 weeks ago, they have no intention of ever coming here *per email from their sales director*

Back
Top Bottom