2 dives: fun or learning experience ... I just had a learning experience.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you everyone.

I have learned some valuable lessons from this and I thank you all for helping me to pin point my issues. Truly, I have read everything you all wrote and will take your advice to heart.

- Pre-planning equipment is vital. Pin down the stores for rentals and what time I can pick up.
- I was relying on the stores to give me advice on easy dives. I think their definition of easy and my definition of easy is different. I should have the dive site selected before the day of the dive in order to study it more.
- Seriously consider diving with experienced divers until I am more competent. (I do have 2 people in my life that are divers that I can team up with). Consider boat diving.
- Set up pre-determined communication with my shore support. (my poor hubby, I really panicked him!)
- Work on communication with my equally new dive buddy!! I anticipate that he and I will be diving together often.

I do have a lot learn (shoot, I didn't even SWIM correctly on my failed dive!). I am looking forward to learning more about this sport.

Oh and I really want to go back to my dive spot, NEXT time I'll be much more prepared. Did you look at the links that MaxBottomtime posted? Such a beautiful area! The lighthouse, part of the wreck still on the beach, beautiful Lake Huron.... It's just wonderful.

Dive on people!

Another one: consider getting all your own equipment, except maybe tanks. Buy used to save money (other threads on buying used equipment here). Puts you much less at the mercy of the shops for rentals.

There are a ton of variables you will need to experience and then decide what is the best method for YOU to deal with them.
The only places you really failed was lacking local knowledge and lacking predive plans.
I only say "failed" because in today's day and age there is a wealth of verified data available to you on a phone. No reason to trust a LDS rep for detail, nor should you. You and your buddy are doing the dive. You two are the only ones liable or affected by the outcome.
Every dive should have a predive briefing/plan. You ask if you waited too long at three minutes. That should have been brought up before you entered the water. Have a plan and then adaptions. Have CLEAR hand signals established before hand. More so, a clearly defined and simple signal that calls the dive and send everyone back to the same place on the beach.
As too your surface swim, Current and wave action diminish the closer to the bottom you get. I dive just to breath underwater so no bottom time is wasted time. May find something cool and never see the wreck. Or when you saw the wreck, drop down. Get your head out of the waves. I swim when I don't have a tank on, other wise I dive.
If you get hardcore and start tech diving:
A) you will be much more experienced in the basics by then.
B) you may need to conserve every cubic inch of gas to make your plan, but I'd still rather hug the bottom in waves.

Please don't take the above in a negative light. Just some things to think about BEFORE your next dive.
Find a local LDS that has decent rental you can count on. Do not give that first shop ANY business. And make sure other local dives know about what happened with the rental gear.
Most importantly, if no one is paying you to dive it's not a job. So stop working so hard and have fun!

Hello Can111

Welcome

I have never been in Lake Huron but have done some shore diving in a somewhat larger lake just to the northwest of Lake Huron. My comments are based on that (We were out last weekend and dove the wreck of the Hesper).

We drive 1/2 hour north from where we were staying to the dive shop to be informed they had rented all their equipment to a dive charter for the day.

Quit relying on dive shops. They complicate logistics considerably. Get your own gear, early on, including tanks, if you're serious about shore diving. There are various alternatives for used and lower cost gear. Ask questions here if you decide to go this route.

The wreck is marked. We start swimming ... and swimming ... and swimming.

I make it a rule to scout shore diving sites before the day of the dive whenever possible. There is no substitute for looking around with no pressure to actually make a dive. That allows for an in-person verification of any facts, and a check of visibility, shore entry/exit conditions, whether the buoy is actually there, parking, and so on. I find this sort of scouting to be fun, and I can do it on days when I can't dive due to time constraints or weather.

My husband says he watched us for about 1 - 1.5 hours struggling to get to the bouy. Had to swim on my back for a lot of the time because on my belly waves would wash over my head and get in my snorkel. Question 1: should we have dove and worked my way over under the water? We considered this but didn't want to waste air.

Typically I would swim under water most of the way and surface if needed to look for the buoy. But I would use an oversize cylinder or twins. You could use an HP120 cylinder, if you can find one to rent borrow or purchase, if you revisit this site. Another fact to consider is that underwater navigation is a skill that requires practice for proficiency.

At one point I flip on my stomach and see the wreck. THRILLED. I yell to my buddy we made it. For some reason he wanted to keep going to the bouy. Like he thought it was the "beginning". So we struggle on because it is still about 100' away. We never make it to the bouy because the waves kept pushing us away.

Either the conditions were too poor for a safe dive or you need better fins. Shore dives that involve traversing distance, like you're doing, call for long, stiff fins. If you have short fins or split fins that may be part of the problem. I have Cressi Reaction fins that are about 30" in overall length, and have thought about replacing them with freediving fins (which are even longer). There are other good fins, but take a look at those and compare them to what you have, and see if there's a difference.

Finally i say let's just dive here. Buddy says ok. I descend about 20' down to the sandy bottom of Lake Huron, of course the wreck is nowhere to be seen. Buddy doesn't make it down at the same time. i wait for him for about 3 minutes (question 2: is that too long?) It felt good to just relax at the bottom and not be in the waves. He finally appears briefly but then pops back to the surface. I wait longer for him again (3 ish minutes) and then finally go up also.

The usual convention is one minute, but it's something you should cover during dive planning.

... I talked to my buddy and asked why he bailed and went to shore. He said he had trouble descending. (lost about 30 pounds this year and reduced his lead), the dive flag line was "twisting and bugging him", and he was just plain tired from the waves.

It seems to me that you could benefit from planning some dives just to work on skills together. I do that with my kids, and it helps, not just with the skills but with helping understand each other's limitations, expectations, and assumptions. With shore diving this stuff is more important.

Also, usually I try to take turns with the flag, since it is more work when pulling it.

One more thing. When I got home i consulted my Great Lakes Dive book (by Kris Kohl) and it said my dive was 800' (!) from shore and to get to it by boat! The first dive shop said 200' the second said 300'. I had stressed to the dive shop we were inexperienced, surprised they sent us there.

The best construction I can put on it is that there may be portions of the wreck that are closer to shore than the buoy. ::shrug:: In better weather I think you would have had a much easier time of it.

So people help me learn from our outing. What did we do wrong? Is there a dive stress-light that i would use to my shore person in case i really was in trouble?

I would guess that, in reality, the main problem was that the wind conditions were not favorable the day you were diving, and neither you, your buddy, or the dive shop realized it.

With shore support, make your expectations clear and talk about what does and does not constitute an emergency. Be very clear about your timeline, and allow enough time that you are sure you will be back even if there are delays. They will respond to your confidence or lack of it. Again, dives at a benign location, even if it is a boring location, will help with this.

Signal wise, you can carry a strobe light if you want to be able to make an unambiguous indication that there is an emergency. Or just use the standard "crossing and uncrossing of arms stretched vertically above the head" hand signal. Again clarity with your shore support people is important, especially at first. My wife got much less stressed out with my shore dives after the 20th one or so.

What can we do different next time?

I hope you keep diving and work through this stuff. The first steps are hard and I remember some of these problems.

1) Get some of your own gear. Better still, get a full set of suitable gear.
2) Consider larger cylinders for shore dives (assuming you can handle them physically). Call around, some places may rent them if you want to experiment.
3) Work on skills in shallow water near shore even if there is nothing cool to see. There is much more to diving independently than diving with an instructor or from a boat. The more times you go through the steps, the easier it will become.
4) Scout various dive locations close to you whenever time permits. Take photos, make notes. (I keep site notes in evernote)
5) Learn to swim the four standard strokes if you don't know how, it will help your confidence immensely
6) Try to incorporate some swimming with fins into your workout routine. It will help your strength and endurance when diving.

Last edited:
Another tool to use for planning dives like this is Navionics. They have a free web application, and there's a smartphone version that requires a paid subscription. The wreck is charted, which makes it easy to see:

Navionics Webapp

Looking at this, the whole area is shallow, which is probably why the dive shop suggested it as being a good site for beginners. Shallow sites tend to have more problematic wave action however. You would have been in maybe 15 feet of water, or less, most of the way, with a good portion of the dive being in frustratingly shallow water (5' or less) where it's hard to swim and the waves are breaking.

At these sorts of depths, yes, it is far easier to proceed on SCUBA underwater, and come up for a navigation check whenever necessary.

upload_2017-8-11_12-44-5.png

I agree, get your own gear and dive locations that you're comfortable with. As 2airishuman pointed out, Navionics had a free chart on the web that has all the information of a paid chart plotter chip. This info includes wrecks and other dive spots. Then if you have the all on your phone you can use it to easily find the spot when you're on site since it works as a GPS, like Google maps but for water.

This is an old thread, but,

800-1000 feet from shore? that's a LOOONG swim. I consider myself pretty hardy and willing do long surface swims, but I would think hard about doing such a swim if there was current & waves. I do such surface swims in Monterey/Carmel, but there isn't much current, and wouldn't with high waves.

I guess at a depth of 15-20', swimming UW is an option, but I personally wouldn't want to use up my gas if it was featureless. The OP describes a surface swim of about 1 hour. I don't know if a single tank would be enough for a beginner to reach the wreck with much gas left over. Hell, I doubt I would have much left from a tank after such a swim. And we haven't even talked about navigation. IMO, getting there UW doesn't seem very realistic.

Sounds like a very ambitious dive for a beginner if done as a shore dive, unless the beginner is a strong swimmer. But now the OP knows she can handle herself dealing with a long swim in current. And it sounds like something that I would want to work up to - a shallow wreck accessible from shore sounds awesome! and the photos make it look pretty intact. At 20' you could spend all day exploring the wreck. Worth a long swim in the right conditions.

Last edited:
After a little internet searching - A 200 foot long ship in 20' of water?! That is such a great opportunity to do a long wreck dive w/out worrying about the time. Or about the boat schedule or expense. Sign me up. That is worth doing a long surface swim, conditions permitting.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom