Saw my first sea spider (pycnogonid)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris_the_brit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On a dive in Komodo earlier this month. Only about the size of my thumbnail, but one of my favorite critters from the whole trip (thanks to my guide for spotting it!). Only got one in-focus shot before it crawled around a corner and out of sight.
IMG_2961.jpg

Fascinating creatures. They're supposedly quite widespread and common, but rarely seen. Anyone else have any sightings, or recommendations for finding them?

Recommendations for finding one: get a good dive guide, tell him you want to see one. They have the search image and habitat experience. We poor mortals just wander around.

sea spiders in Topsail sound.jpg
The ocean was extremely rough off North Carolina this year so I was forced to find other options. While diving on the sound side at Topsail Beach I found a rod and reel someone lost. When I brought it up it had several sea spiders on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom