Another "buying my first regulator" thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sidenote : I saw a post recently that said something like "just don't get a G250HP."

What's wrong with the HP?

People dissed it because when it came out it was more complicated and the air barrel was plastic rather than metal. Internally it used the same parts as the S600 in a larger case.

People dissed it because when it came out it was more complicated and the air barrel was plastic rather than metal. Internally it used the same parts as the S600 in a larger case.

Do the G250 (non-HP) and the G260 use a metal air barrel?

Do the G250 (non-HP) and the G260 use a metal air barrel?

As far as I know, the Scubapro regulators with metal barrels are R109, R156, G200, G250, G250V, G260, old model G500 (made in USA model), newer S600, and the S620. You should be able to upgrade the older S600, G500, and G250HP with the newer metal barrel, at least that is what I was told.

I am not sure about the older D series, like the Pilot, Air1, D300, D350, D400 as I never took one apart. I am also unsure about the C series.

... until you feel like you need 2 HP ports, or a swivel turret, or a bottom LP port....

To the OP: From what I've learned around here, it seems the 2nd stage regulator is what really makes the most difference in how easy a reg breathes (assuming you have a basic, decent quality 1st stage). The local people I talk to all seem to agree that the ScubaPro G260 is the nicest-breathing 2nd stage reg you can buy right now. I haven't tried one, so I can't say myself. My shop carries every brand I can think of except Deep6, HOG, or Poseidon. They carry ScubaPro, AquaLung, Apeks, Dive Rite, Hollis, Oceanic, Aeris, Atomic, SubGear, and probably something I'm not thinking of. The shop owners and other staff all seem to have the G260 on their personal reg sets.
Are you ever going to go diving and quit stalking me? Why would you need 2 HP ports? 1 for an electronic transmitter or something? Who would do that?
I don't think the G260 is the "nicest breathing regulator ever in the whole wide world" either and I have one - do you?
People think the G260 is nice because they paid 400 dollars for one yeah, it better be nice. Now I suppose you'll say "They're not 400 dollars they're 385.00!"
Psst, new guy - I have a 108 that beats a G260 any day on any dive (and I paid 25 bucks for it plus a 12 dollar rebuild kit)

Now get off the interwebs and go diving

Some people do want AI and also a backup SPG. I don't. I'm all in on AI.

I do use both HP ports on my regs, though. When I use my long hose reg on the right post of my doubles, I need the AI transmitter in the HP port that has it pointing down, so it's protected. When I use that same reg on my right tank in sidemount, the AI transmitter needs to be moved to the HP port on the opposite side of the 1st stage, again in order to point down and be somewhat protected.

Ditto for the 1st stage with the short hose that I use on the left.

Some people do want AI and also a backup SPG. I don't. I'm all in on AI.

I do use both HP ports on my regs, though. When I use my long hose reg on the right post of my doubles, I need the AI transmitter in the HP port that has it pointing down, so it's protected. When I use that same reg on my right tank in sidemount, the AI transmitter needs to be moved to the HP port on the opposite side of the 1st stage, again in order to point down and be somewhat protected.

Ditto for the 1st stage with the short hose that I use on the left.

FWIW, I commend your response.

Last edited:
FWIW, I commend your response.

Thanks.

I forgot to add, when I dive single tank, I want my AI transmitter on the right for optimum reception by my computer (which I wear on the right for several reasons). But, if my AI transmitter were to fail, I would remove it and install my backup SPG on the left. So, even for single tank, I want my 1st stage to have HP ports on both sides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom