Group trips vs. going ourselves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I have not gone on a group trip organized by an LDS yet, but would like to know what the difference is of group trips vs. going by ourselves? I suppose there is a social aspect and meeting other divers from the same shop or area while travelling together, diving together, sitting in the airport transfers together, maybe eating together, etc.

And I suppose LDS group trips would differ significantly from, say, an SB Invasion, simply because they're so much bigger?

Can people shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

I like some of the LDS trips for the simple fact that I would be travelling solo and wouldn't have a dive buddy, plus the social aspects you already noted. (Though liveaboards have now beaten out LDS trips for me). It is nice to be hooked up with a group of people of varying experience that will enable you to find a compatible buddy and possibly someone to dive with locally after the trip. The social part is important to me, as I am not the best at striking up conversations with people I don't know. So, going with a group leads to some awesome conversations that I would not have easily found otherwise, as I get more comfortable with the group during the week.

@Dogbowl, I have done solo trips and I have done group trips. IMHO there are advantages to both.

Solo Trip:
Advantages:
Not held to anybody else's schedule or timetable. You can eat when you want, and pretty much do anything you want when you want as long as you are ready to get on the boat when the dive op wants you to. There is a lot of freedom when traveling solo.

Disadvantages
:
If you are a social person, and are traveling alone then at the end of the day you have nobody that you know that you can talk about the day with.
If you are traveling alone/solo, you will likely get paired up with an "insta-buddy" who you may or may not find compatible.

Group Trip:
Advantages:
You are traveling with people you know. This means that you will know who is friendly and who might need a "little more personal space".
You will have a feeling for the other group members' diving style and may be able to find a buddy that is a good fit for you.
After the day's diving is done, a "family style" dinner with the group can be a lot of fun and a great way to talk about what you saw today and what you are hoping the next day (or two) brings. It can also be a good time to do a little good natured "ribbing" of others in the group. (In the group I travel with, you can tell how well you fit in by how much crap gets thrown at you. If they like you, it can be pretty brutal at times, but if they don't like you, then they will simply smile and say "hello" when they see you.)
Even if you don't know the other people on a group trip, there will often be a "Meet & Greet" at the LDS before the trip. This is a good time to introduce yourself & get to know people and find out if any of you are on the same flights. (I recently did a trip to Grand Turk and flew out of YYZ. I had friends who flew out of Philly. We were all on the same flight from Charlotte to Provo.) This Meet & Greet is also a good opportunity to talk to others and to "pick their brain" to see if they have any advice or tips prior to the trip.

Disadvantages:
There is always the possibility that someone in the group might just grate you the wrong way. Since everybody knows each other, this creates an additional complication if multiple personalities become involved.
It can always be difficult traveling with a (new) group the first time, and it is much easier if you know at least one person in the group prior to the trip. It can be intimidating to try to break into a group where everybody already knows each other. Don't let this scare you off though, because we have all been that person making their first trip with the group. Don't forget that you already have something in common with them. You both dive.

As for me ... I prefer to travel as a part of a group. I personally find it much more fun. In fact, my ideal dive trip is a group doing a LOB trip organized by the LDS. YMMV.

Last edited:
I see from your profile you've traveled to some Caribbean destinations before, so for you, maybe not such a big difference. For people who haven't, and wonder if 'they speak English down there,' or which places might have drug cartel action and be dangerous, or if land-based and driving around is desired, seasoned veterans who can suggest where to eat, how to navigate around, etc...at least starting out traveling with a group is nice.

Richard.

@Dogbowl, I have done solo trips and I have done group trips. IMHO there are advantages to both.

Solo Trip:
Advantages:
Not held to anybody else's schedule or timetable. You can eat when you want, and pretty much do anything you want when you want as long as you are ready to get on the boat when the dive op wants you to. There is a lot of freedom when traveling solo.

Disadvantages
:
If you are a social person, and are traveling alone then at the end of the day you have nobody that you know that you can talk about the day with.
If you are traveling alone/solo, you will likely get paired up with an "insta-buddy" who you may or may not find compatible.

Group Trip:
Advantages:
You are traveling with people you know. This means that you will know who is friendly and who might need a "little more personal space".
You will have a feeling for the other group members' diving style and may be able to find a buddy that is a good fit for you.
After the day's diving is done, a "family style" dinner with the group can be a lot of fun and a great way to talk about what you saw today and what you are hoping the next day (or two) brings. It can also be a good time to do a little good natured "ribbing" of others in the group. (In the group I travel with, you can tell how well you fit in by how much crap gets thrown at you. If they like you, it can be pretty brutal at times, but if they don't like you, then they will simply smile and say "hello" when they see you.)
Even if you don't know the other people on a group trip, there will often be a "Meet & Greet" at the LDS before the trip. This is a good time to introduce yourself & get to know people and find out if any of you are on the same flights. (I recently did a trip to Grand Turk and flew out of YYZ. I had friends who flew out of Philly. We were all on the same flight from Charlotte to Provo.) This Meet & Greet is also a good opportunity to talk to others and to "pick their brain" to see if they have any advice or tips prior to the trip.

Disadvantages:
There is always the possibility that someone in the group might just grate you the wrong way. Since everybody knows each other, this creates an additional complication if multiple personalities become involved.
It can always be difficult traveling with a (new) group the first time, and it is much easier if you know at least one person in the group prior to the trip. It can be intimidating to try to break into a group where everybody already knows each other. Don't let this scare you off though, because we have all been that person making their first trip with the group. Don't forget that you already have something in common with them. You both dive.

As for me ... I prefer to travel as a part of a group. I personally find it much more fun. In fact, my ideal dive trip is a group doing a LOB trip organized by the LDS. YMMV.

Thank you so much!

I usually travel with my husband so I have a buddy but I'm also interested in meeting other divers so that's why I'm interested in doing group trips but wasn't sure the pros and cons. You really made some good points!

I usually dive with a club or solo instead of through LDS sponsored dives, so I frequently travel alone. The pricing/timing on LDS trips is seldom ideal to me and it is very likely most of the LDS group would be unknown to me. you also miss out meeting a new and interesting group of divers if you go with the same 10 people you see at the breakwater every month.

Thank you so much!

I usually travel with my husband so I have a buddy but I'm also interested in meeting other divers so that's why I'm interested in doing group trips but wasn't sure the pros and cons. You really made some good points!
I lived in a little town about an hour east of Syracuse (Rome NY) for a while. I still travel with the LDS from there and in fact I will be going on the Aquacat with them very soon.

Groups are really fun. Especially those crazy fun people from North Carolina! (@BDSC :wink:) One advantage to going on trips with a group is you can control the itinerary or schedule a bit easier. Most groups tend to have similar interests. It seems like every group has that one person, but they often know how to deal with it tactfully otherwise they probably won’t/don’t get invited back.

Groups are really fun. Especially those crazy fun people from North Carolina! (@BDSC :wink:) One advantage to going on trips with a group is you can control the itinerary or schedule a bit easier. Most groups tend to have similar interests. It seems like every group has that one person, but they often know how to deal with it tactfully otherwise they probably won’t/don’t get invited back.

We are a crazy bunch aren't we and you are spot on with not being invited back. Honestly, there have only been two couples over the years that I have not invited back. Not that they were bad people but just not a good fit for the group.

Another advantage to going with a group can be pricing. When we put our trips together, everyone one the trip shares equally in the free spots/commissions/group discounts. Everyone pays the same thing and no one goes for free. Sometimes that can be a couple of hundred saved on a land based trip. Other times, I have been able to discount some of our liveaboard trips as much as $1200 per person. That's significant. Now you won't find that kind of discount with a dive shop as they are trying to make money and no problem there. That's why they are in business. But in our case, we are really more of a private group I guess you could say so because we don't need to make money (I work in the nuclear industry), we can afford to discount our trips.

I also like being able to control who is on a liveaboard. The very first liveaboard I went on, we made up about half the group. While everyone else was really nice and many of them now travel with us, there was that "one guy" who was a real tool. No one let him spoil the trip but he just became really annoying. So I decided that won't happen again. Now I only book entire liveaboards!

The ScubaBoard invasions are rather large. There is only one other group that's bigger than us, and we're OK by that. We could be bigger, but that would work against us in several ways. @cardzard can correct me when he gets back from the ScubaBoard Megadive at Ginnie Springs this weekend.

We call it an invasion for a reason and here are some reasons why we often sell out
  • We really do take over the place
    • They agree to do things our way or we won't come
    • Think about that for a moment
  • Large numbers keep prices low
    • @cardzard negotiates the lowest price possible
    • ScubaBoard doesn't add a dime to that (no profit)
    • He usually negotiates more diving than an LDS can get (we're just that much bigger)
    • He tries to get all inclusive or as close to it as possible
    • Often, you're paying less for your spot than an LDS can get with more bennies
  • NO CATTLE BOATS
    • We keep boats way below capacity
    • They don't get to fill up their boats with other divers
    • We want the room!!!
    • Just because our group is huge doesn't mean we're crowded
  • You're diving with like minded people which you might have read online
    • They come from all over the world
    • Develop lifelong friendships
  • We give away thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of prizes
  • Free NASE Nitrox class
  • The fun doesn't stop when you get home.
    • We are active posting before and after the trip
    • Helps you to prepare beforehand
    • You get to share the awesome pics right away
Just to keep things in perspective, ScubaBoard will never "compete" with other businesses, including your local LDS. Our trips are run through one of our advertisers depending on who @cardzard can get the best deal from. If you think you want to host an Invasion, contact him. You'll have to be an advertiser and able to host a large group, but he'll listen to just about anyone. An invasion has a lasting effect in regards to social media for any business.

Back
Top Bottom