scuba insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nuts4corals

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wondering if everyone is using DAN? And if anyone uses dive alert insurance? with dan you hve to be a member from what i understand to take advantage of the insurance.

So many threads on this topic. Try the search function and then narrow down your questions...yes, I've purchased Dan and other third party insurance before.

Yes. Most will swear by how good DAN is and once in a while someone will say it let them down. Depends on where you dive, I think. My Blue Cross covers dive accidents, but I don't (well, haven't) dived in Outer Slabovia where a helicopter ride to a chamber would be needed.

So many threads on this topic. Try the search function and then narrow down your questions...yes, I've purchased Dan and other third party insurance before.

yeah i checked and wasn't geting much hits on divers alert but a ton on DAN

DAN is Divers Alert Network but rarely do people spell it out.

Membership in DAN - a good thing to join anyway - includes a program called Travelassist, which provides evacuation and some other related benefits even if diving was not involved. (It may somehow work in tandem with their dive accident insurance but I'm just speculating on that.)

There is also Dive Assure, which also offers dive accident insurance (but I think no coverage for diving in the US, currently, don't know what's going on with that.)

If your traveling abroad, another option is to join the Austrian Alpine club. This club provides insurance cover for all members who require rescue services as a result of accidents occurring in the course of leisure activities while abroad. This is nice because it covers most activities that are excluded in most travel insurance policies.

Wondering if everyone is using DAN? And if anyone uses dive alert insurance? with dan you hve to be a member from what i understand to take advantage of the insurance.

I am a member of DAN to support them and all the really great work they do for the whole dive community. Accident research. Grants for O2 kits for clubs that are qualified. All kinds of stuff that helps to make us all safer.

I also have their dive accident insurance (the top level they offer) because it is cheap insurance for what it would cover. The peace of mind is worth it to me.

Yes, I believe you do have to be a member in order to purchase their dive accident insurance.

I clicked on this thread out of interest because I just bought DAN insurance a few weeks ago. My local dive shop added a paragraph to their liability waiver (inserted by their lawyer) that requires divers joining a charter to accept, or waive, a $500-premium accident policy. Of course, everyone is going to waive that policy rather than pay $500 plus the cost of the dive. But every time I initial that box, I feel relief that my DAN insurance will cover whatever might happen.

DAN does good work, and they make much of it available to all divers regardless of membership. I think that's classy. I get a lot of peace of mind knowing that I have insurance. Perhaps warm water, pretty fish, vacation diving is less risky (perhaps not, I dunno), but here in Lake Michigan the waves are bigger, the water is colder, the wrecks are deep, and the diving environment is more technical. So I feel better about having some protection. I also dive with a 40cf pony, but that's a different thread....

Cheers.

After a recent serious incident in Cozumel, I've got nothing but good things to say about DAN insurance. Wouldn't go diving without it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom