backup mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carrying a spare mask seems like something for the more advanced or technical divers. I'm more of a recreational type scuba diver myself, but I've had a few tech diving customers tell me that our one mask seems perfect for the application.

The MAKO Mini mask fits just about everyone (if not return it), but it also safely folds FLAT. It can fold flat because the buckles on the mask are NOT attached to the frame which is the most common method of construction. Placing the buckles on the outside edge of the frame makes them vulnerable to impact and prevents the mask from safely being folded.

The MAKO Minimus mask is designed with the buckle attachment on the sides of the skirt. This allows the skirt to be folded inward and pressed against the glass lenses without any possibility of damage and makes the package very small and thin - Perfect for slipping into a pocket.

Minimus

mmm-buckle-mount_dtl.jpg

MMM-2T.jpg

I used to carry (dove with for a bit, or at least traveled with) a spare mask but that didn't last long (and I've never needed it in 1000 dives.) Probably at least having one in my bag would be a good idea, but with luggage restrictions most spare things (except computer, which I've actually needed) has gone the way of the dodo.

If you are going to carry a second mask why not carry the same mask you normally wear...assuming it is your favorite mask since you are already wearing one.
I can see this is a good idea for certain diving, but for a rec diver unlikely to need it I think durable and compact are good criteria - makes it that much more likely someone will carry it with them and it won't be mangled when they go to use it. Most people should be able to find an appropriate mask that fits well enough. If I needed a backup and it was a little leaky I'd get over it, I'm sure I would be happy enough to have anything.

I used to carry (dove with for a bit, or at least traveled with) a spare mask but that didn't last long (and I've never needed it in 1000 dives.) Probably at least having one in my bag would be a good idea, but with luggage restrictions most spare things (except computer, which I've actually needed) has gone the way of the dodo.

I can see this is a good idea for certain diving, but for a rec diver unlikely to need it I think durable and compact are good criteria - makes it that much more likely someone will carry it with them and it won't be mangled when they go to use it. Most people should be able to find an appropriate mask that fits well enough. If I needed a backup and it was a little leaky I'd get over it, I'm sure I would be happy enough to have anything.

Likewise - never needed one, never come across a situation where anyone needed one. I also totally agree - if you just need one to get you through 10 mins deco or to save a dive you otherwise would sit out on the boat I would not get stressed about a bit of extra mask clearing. Having two expensive masks just increases the chance you will break an expensive mask.....

I carry one for the same reason I have a pony. Better to have and not need than to discover too late that I need. I've never needed a seat belt but still wear one. I just have a standard mask in a pocket and tend to forget its even there.

Both of my masks are off brand that happen to fit and I leave one in my bag in case a strap snaps or something. Most of the time my second collects dust unless I go out of my way to dive with it.

My primary computer is AI, I dive a backup computer and a SPG, My diving is mainly rec, I have never carried a backup mask. Even if the strap broke, I could deal with it. My strap broke once on the boat, I repaired it with a zip tie and bought a new strap later. I have a backup strap for my primary mask now, it's in my save a dive kit. I'm sure some divers think they need to carry a backup mask, that's fine, not me.

anyone carry a secondary in thier BCD? looking at getting one since this one is so cheap https://www.europeanoutdoors.com/product/CRS_FRAMELESSM_PAR/ZDN282000/Cressi-Frameless-Mask

please recommend ones for me to look at. I would rather pay a little more and get one that folds best.

The problem with the cressi F1 is that it has a very iffy nose pocket. My girlfriend has a tiny nose and for her the pocket is ok.... but still she has to really grab the inside of the nose pocket to valsalva, for me I literally can't valsalva with it. The nose pocket is very 'retracted' in comparison to most modern masks.

My primary computer is AI, I dive a backup computer and a SPG, My diving is mainly rec, I have never carried a backup mask. Even if the strap broke, I could deal with it. My strap broke once on the boat, I repaired it with a zip tie and bought a new strap later. I have a backup strap for my primary mask now, it's in my save a dive kit. I'm sure some divers think they need to carry a backup mask, that's fine, not me.

The only time I would think a backup mask would be really important is if I were doing dives that required significant decompression and for whatever reason losing the mask would seriously jeopardize my life with the inability to see time and depth. Perhaps as my diving progresses and I develop a team that I know I can rely on for those types of dives I would reconsider it. Then again, some of these mask are so small and store so well it's hardly a burden.

I totally agree on the back up strap in the kit and you can never have enough zip ties.

thanks everyone... Much appreciate all of the input.

I never carried redundant anything until I saved the DM's life a few years back in an out of air situation. yeah he took a half full tank down without checking and ran out at 95 feet. That kind of thing gets you thinking. The way i look at it is I have room for low profile fordable frameless backup mask in my BC so why not? if you loose a mask for whatever reason i don't want to rely on anyone to bring me to the surface. Thats just me.

I have decided on the tilos mask that cuzza uses due to its fold-ability. I do dive with a marker bouy that I like to use on safety stops. other than that just typical dive accessories. I hope I never have to use the mask but if I do it would be the best $30 i ever spent IMHO.

I never carried redundant anything until I saved the DM's life a few years back in an out of air situation. yeah he took a half full tank down without checking and ran out at 95 feet. That kind of thing gets you thinking. ....

It would get me thinking some folk shouldn't dive at all never mind pretend they are a "Divemaster".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom