Is Morat Wall worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thread, another day.

After as many trips as you have to Roatan, it's time for you to see how the South side is so much different, not just for a whambam day visit.

Wow, thanks. Tons of great information. You've probably seen a few of my posts and maybe understand this may not be the dive for me - the whole surface thing and maybe not having the boat there could be an issue.

I did have a chance to do all south side diving last year because of weather. I really liked it - although not much to compare to yet.

Mostly, I like to see/do something new each time I go so I thought maybe something on the far east of the island. But the non-underwater parts of this dive may be too challenging for me at this point.

I should have added that we brought our kids on this excursion. The croc viewing was explicitly for our 10 year old son. Our 12 year old daughter is junior open water, so she joined us on the second dive (drifting the wall was too deep for her). We also had our 16 year old daughter and her friend of the same age, who enjoy snorkelling and taking selfies anywhere and anytime.

Bottom line is that they had do so some waiting around on the dive boat but really enjoyed the scenic trip around the horn of the island. Pigeon Cay catered to everyone's interests. We were lucky to have the place to ourselves and everyone enjoyed lounging in the shallows and snorkelling on the very accessible reefs.

Pangea has been around for about 5-6 years. Chrissie and Brian run a solid dive op and we were fortunate to go out on the maiden voyage of their new panga. We usually dive with Barefoot and Roatan Divers and found Pangea to be in the same league. I can't recommend them enough. TBR/Subway is also a good dive op but they may be less inclined to schedule an excursion unless you have a large group.

As Doc mentions, the road to Camp Bay is not for the faint of heart. It's a long haul from West End (probably 1.5 hours) but is worth the drive. The vistas to the east of Santos Guardiola are breathtaking and the Camp Bay road is an adventure unto itself. If you have the time, I also recommend a meal at La Sirena, one of Roatan's top restaurants, which is within walking distance of Pangea.

I'm preparing for my 6th trip to Roatan and thinking it might be nice to dive Morat Wall. We always stay in West End. Our group will be mostly AOW to DM but will have one OW diver.

- how long on a bus
- what to do for non divers?
- what is another "must dive site" in the area?
- is there a wreck? and if so, which one?
- would the trip from West End be worth it?

Try emailing Roatan Divers about a Pigeon Cay (Morat Wall) trip. They have a fast boat that can make the day trip pretty easily from West End.

Special Dive Trips to Cayos Cochinos with Roatan Divers

Got polaroids posed of the Pangea Panga possibly please.

That would tell the op what to think about and prepare for.

image.jpeg
Impressive boat, nice ladder.

Better pix should be posted on their webpage.

View attachment 431703 Impressive boat, nice ladder.
No problem rolling off but I'm not sure I'm ready for this dive - no mooring line, drift dive, where's the boat. I will plan my trip to the east side after I have some more dives under my belt. For now, I will be content to see people's picture and do more drift dives to get ready for this.

I'm new to diving so not the best reference. But my sister's favorite dive is Hole in the Wall and she also likes the El Aguila dive.

El Aquila is about the easiest 30 metres dive out there and you don't have to go down to the sand -- the groupers are mostly in the unadvanced 20-ish.

I would love to hear, you don't seem reserved about sharing your opinion. Our stay at Turquoise Bay was excellent

I have about one issue with TBR: their bar, but I get it that as a dive resort, CCV may well be a better choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom