Small Face Syndrome...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suffer the same affliction, I need kids glasses, kids hats etc etc. the only mask, and I've been through a lot of masks, that fits my small head/face is the Atomic Frameless (original) in medium. I am so scared they'll stop making them I currently own three and often consider getting a fourth.

When you try one on in a shop put a mouth piece in your mouth as this changes the "shape" of your face, often the reason why masks fit great in shops but not once in the water. You shouldn't need the strap to hold it on, suction/vacuum should be enough. Tightening a strap to stop a leak will almost always have the opposite effect. Good luck.

JayFarmLaw: I was so relieved to hear I'm not the only one struggling with the mask thing. I may just end up keeping my high volume mask. No worries, my instructor was a drill sergeant about not putting your mask on your forehead. Thanks also for the tip on Mako. I'm sure the company owner would enjoy playing poker with you and happy for you to date his daughter. Thanks again! :)

Outofofficebrb: Thanks for the suggestion!

David Wilson: Good thoughts on skirt sizes and suggestion on brand. And yes, I would prefer our masks to be more specific so I could figure out what might work.

JamesBon92007: Yes, that's exactly how they had me try one on. Holding it on my face with a breath. In my head I thought "and from this I can tell what???" I still had no idea how it'll feel in water. Thanks for the thoughts.

Buddhasummer: Good thought about putting in a mouthpiece! Thanks!

Here is how I have people test a mask for fit.

I have the person tilt the head back until he or she is looking straight up. I then set the mask in place on the face, with nothing but gravity holding it in place. I then look at it carefully and trace a finger around the edge of the skirt. There should be no gaps. The sniff test does work fairly well after that, but it can have problems. A good, strong sniff can pull in the gap in the skirt in a place where it is not fitting well and hide that poor fit. Some people also have a hard time with the sniff test because they simply cannot stop exhaling out the nose, which will break the seal even with a good fit.

Strap tension can be a problem, usually because people pull it too tight in an attempt to stop leaking. When I introduce a scuba class, I put my mask on with the snorkel dangling and the strap sitting loose on top of my head. While it is there, I talk to them about mask fit and strap tension, with the mask staying in place the whole time. This shows them clearly that the strap does not have to be tight. I can (and have) actually do (done) a dive without a strap, but the movement in the water will make it leak, so you don't want it too loose, either. It should be comfortable.

In my experience, people with good fitting masks will often have leaking problems anyway, and the aforementioned demonstration in the second paragraph demonstrates that. While talking with the students, I explain that I am using good airway control to talk to them without exhaling through the nose. I then exhale slightly through the nose, and the mask falls off. I put it back on and resume talking, pointing out that I am talking with as little mouth movement as possible. I then grin, and the mask falls off. You need to have both good airway control and little facial movement while diving.

I thought I'd add my conclusion to this post in case anyone else searches and comes across this. I went through 5 masks. Aeris Origin Mini Mask , Oceanic Mini, Atomic Frameless, Scubapro Sub Vu Mini . The end result...a cheap kids mask. Akona Wahoo Jr mask, $35.

All the other masks leaked. They were so big they would actually extend almost to my ears. In order for them NOT to leak I'd have to tighten, and tighten. Then I'd have a bruise on my nose or forehead or indentations for a day. I tried some of these masks on 3-4 dives playing around with the tightening and loosening.

So, I suppose if you have a very very tiny face like me consider an actual kids mask! The people at the scuba store didn't disagree. They watched me try on adult masks and agreed...too big. But that tiny kid's mask was perfect. And I'm so happy!

I just wanted to share if someone else is looking for a low volume small face mask. Apparently there are small faces and then there are SMALLLLLL faces. :)

look at Subacqua Covert or FunMask, both well made and fit small faces very well. I found them in Mexico, but I am sure you can purchase online with a little looking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom