Din converters any good

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When using older regulators (a friend has some vintage Scubapro) the yoke won't fit over the converted DIN.

As an aside, I have found that some newer tank valves I've seen, that don't have DIN, are also larger than the older yoke valves and have the same problem. Possibly done to keep older regs off of HP tanks.

As long as the reg is not vintage there shouldn't be a problem.

Bob

As an aside, I have found that some newer tank valves I've seen, that don't have DIN, are also larger than the older yoke valves and have the same problem. Possibly done to keep older regs off of HP tanks.

As long as the reg is not vintage there shouldn't be a problem.

Bob
We actually looked at that as a possibility. The clearance is very tight but doable on one tank, but the other is not able to use my 1980 Sherwood reg. I think it is more DIN is designe to have something threaded into it, making it naturally deeper and older regulators were not designed to fit over something that bulky.

Yea, just pointing out that I've had the same problem without the DIN factor. Perhaps the valves are cast the same and some are made din and others for yoke.

The reg I have the worst problem is my Sherwood 4000, the yoke is a cast part of the reg and is very beefed up because it was made for 4000# service pressure back in the '70's. It is very picky about what valve it fits. I have to keep vintage valves if I want to dive it, not a great reg fo a backup.

Bob

All my regs are DIN. I have never had any issues with using my yoke adapter when necessary. $20 from DGX.

All my regs are DIN. I have never had any issues with using my yoke adapter when necessary. $20 from DGX.
The OP is asking about a converter to allow using yoke regs on a din tank. That type of converter won't just move the regs out a few inches, it will also change the angle the regs by 90 degrees. Which is a large part of why those converters are typically recommended to only be used as fill adapters.

I have an opportunity to purchase a Steel 120 with a din valve for a really good price. All my gear is yoke. I like the idea of din and may convert in the future but not at this time. So the question is what is the general opinion of diving on a regular basis with a din set up and a converter to yoke?

Hi Richard.

Some of the posts upthread are unclear and may be from posters who misunderstand your situation. I understand that you want to use a DIN cylinder valve with a yoke regulator.

Some DIN cylinder valves are convertible to yoke by the addition of an insert ("donut"). These are usually called "provalves" or 200 bar or 232 bar valves. Other DIN cylinder valves, the 300 bar ones, are not convertible, and while there are converters available, they are intended only for filling and are not thought to be safe for use underwater.

You may be able to replace the cylinder valve with a convertible valve. They are widely available for cylinders rated for 3442 PSI that have 3/4" NPSM neck threads. Cylinders rated for 3500 PSI have 7/8" UNF neck threads, and convertible valves are not made for them (though they can, very rarely, be found used).

Cylinders rated for 3500 PSI have 7/8" UNF neck threads, and convertible valves are not made for them (though they can, very rarely, be found used).

Actually, someone is making new ones now. I think it's XS Scuba. They only have them in right handed and with no isolator manifold port. But, for ordinary back mount single tank, they are fine.

Actually, someone is making new ones now. I think it's XS Scuba. They only have them in right handed and with no isolator manifold port. But, for ordinary back mount single tank, they are fine.

The XS Scuba 7/8" valves I have seen are 300 bar DIN and are not convertible. I understand that they are back in production for use in new composite cylinders.

We dive with DIN regs but keep two of our tanks with the inserts so when we have guests with Yokes they can use them. They also make getting fills easier when there are limited DIN whips available. We've had them for years without any issues at all.

The adapters don't go in the high pressure DIN tank valves. We have the high pressure valves on the smaller tanks we use the most. We can't be sure how good visitors will be on gas so we had the Low pressure valves with adapters put on the larger tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom