First OW class, lots of gear questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been trying to keep up with this and your other threads and I rarely, rarely say this, but I suggest you slow down just a bit. I can't believe I'm saying that because I have a similar nature in diving in with both fins. There is lots to learn. Just as a for instance, this post has so many things to unpack and many are whole subjects unto themselves. I'll just take one and it's off topic to the thread but on topic to the need to slow down and recognize that scuba diving benefits from a zen like approach.

When you say "This is another topic my buddy won’t stay next to me so I'm constantly turned around" I experienced that and I was wisely counseled that the pace is set by the slowest diver and I was trying to go too fast even when I felt like I was going as slow as I could. This turns out to be analogous to my entire approach to diving and as I overcome that, I become a better buddy and a better diver. My buddy is my wife so if I don't get a handle on that, I may lose her as an excited participant and that would be a shame since it has been a great boost to our marriage to share something that we both love and can both do.

I find your excitement contagious. Have fun but recognize that your tendency to push ahead quickly and do everything at once may have costs in many ways that aren't recognized until later. I tend to spend too soon, go too fast and wear out those around me that aren't as "motivated" as I am. In my case, one man's motivated is another man's intense or obsessed. My friends are nodding right now. It's great to see your level of interest. I can relate.

40" is for primary, 22" is for secondary

You want it to look like one of these two setups. I personally prefer the second one

I cringed every time he said “tech look”. This isn’t diving cosplay. The setup should be suited to your diving goals. It’s not for looking cool at your local quarry.

@Aloha Joe nav board looks like the video below. In terms of buddy positioning. The nav buddy is on the right, and is only looking at the compass. Buddy on the left maintains depth and looks for target. They are supposed to have their right hand in light touch contact with the nav buddies left tricep. This allows them to signal "up", "down", "stop", and "go" with appropriate squeezes/nudges

@Chilly_Diver there is no real functional difference between the two and the "tech look" is because it is setup basically like the left post of a set of doubles. It at least shows two of the basically 3 different options for setting up a single tank rig like that as far as the first stage is concerned

I respect this advice, but dive buddy verbally wouldn’t agree to swim side by side. She complained about not trusting me with a compass, but then I had to come never nice her to talk to rental shop about not having one (which was a mistake). She does her own thing underwater and I don’t feel she paid much attention to being a buddy. I felt unsafe and ended our dives a little early because of it.

I respect this advice, but dive buddy verbally wouldn’t agree to swim side by side. She complained about not trusting me with a compass, but then I had to come never nice her to talk to rental shop about not having one (which was a mistake). She does her own thing underwater and I don’t feel she paid much attention to being a buddy. I felt unsafe and ended our dives a little early because of it.

swimming side by side is the safest way to dive, especially if you are diving without lights. It's SUPER easy to loose the person behind you if you are diving single file.
Sounds like you need a new buddy or resign yourself to "solo" diving with her

That sounds like a real drag. So you were paired with her by the dive shop?

I totally agree - new buddy!

It’s a new friend I made - a mutual friend of another close friend.

Is your buddy one of the divers on the boat you posted a picture of? Is so, it's probably worth investing a little more time working on buddy communication and skills with her. :D

Last edited:
After this experience I would do anything to dive with that group! Actually I emailed the instructor about Advanced OW and will be doing that in November/December with at least two of those girls :)

Where does one find a compass like the one in the video? Mine is really tall, and if I search for Scuba Compass they all seem really big. I'd love a flatter one like that. I guess it could be more sensitive to being level, but I might be OK with that.

Having my compass and computer both on my right arm was better. I tried opposite sides of the same arm but that didn't work so well for me with the gear I have. I'm curious if I'd like an SPG/Compass console, but it would have to be pretty small or I'd get annoyed by something big dangling at my hip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom