Looking for folding snorkel????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned form 4 dives this weekend and I did not take a snorkel and at no time did I miss or feel like I needed it. I wont always be diving on flat calm water though, so I intend to try out a folding/ roll up type soon. This thread has generated some very good points.Thanks for all the replies and info, it is greatly appreciated.

One time. Whale shark came near the dive boat while we were on boat. Dive op said sorry, illegal to be in the water on scuba with the whale shark unless already in water when shark showed up. I now take one of those folding snorkels on the boat. That probably means no more surprise whale sharks. But if it happens, I have the snorkel. Unless it has rotted or split or something. I guess I should look.

A lower-cost solution is to make a few loops from bungee cord and roll them on the tank and use it to hold the snorkel to the tank. It is out of the way and if you need it you can grab it. If you are afraid of losing the snorkel you can always attach a snap or clip and clip it to the bungee for additional security.

I heard of some people doing something similar except attaching it to the backplate. Clip it to a split ring on the top of the plate and run it through a bungee loop at the bottom.

I use a folding avid snorkel ......its expensive but I love it

Oceanic makes one - I've only seen it in the store.

Oceanic Pocket Semi-Dry Snorkel
Good suggestion. And, I have one, and use it (although mine is clear, not black), and I really like it. It actually does function reasonably well as a snorkel.

I just got the same one, never used it until now. The thing I feel a bit uncomfortable with is the sort of rubber band to tie up the snorkel to the mask. I am considering to buy one like this, with a clip instead of the rubber band:
Boccaglio Snorkel Mares Nero BK SA Pieghevole
I am not sure about it, but the clip should be similar to the Mares clips of Mares regular snorkels, which are very good. Anyway perhaps it's just better to clip the roll up snorkel to the bcd, or even not to bring one

Back
Top Bottom