Cheap - Inexpensive Dive Op???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can she cook and clean? :D
Yes, but she is getting where she doesn't want to anymore. She'd rather watch me starve! (I've lost 38 lbs since Feb 1) Before long I'll look like just a fat person instead of a blob! :D:)

Thanks for the input. The only problem I see with DWM is they are located at the marina and I stay in town. By the time I get a cab each way DWM becomes a little more expensive than some other places. I have thought about renting a car or scooter (death on two wheels), but it also adds to the cost. Keep those ideas coming. All input is appreciated.

Cheers - M²

Next lowest price I've found is Blue Magic and they will provide you transport to marina from their downtown office. With multiday package they are all in around $74/trip.

I don't understand why people fly to Cozumel, have lodging and eat, and then cheap out on their dive operator. In many ways, I think that you get what you pay for. Comparing the services you get, the size of your group, and the time underwater is more important than saving $5 or 10 a day. Of course this is just my opinion, others may differ. Cozumel is already pretty good for the cost conscious.

What I don't understand is the need of some to question the spending decisions of others they know nothing about. If you're going to criticize other people's selection process (and you did, regardless of any disclaimers) then how about you telling us specifically what we are getting or not getting for what we pay for? Tell me what I did not get by paying $65 to DWM as opposed to $95 with another op. Because what I got was prompt pickup, proper tank setup, plenty of water and fruit and snacks, choice of dive sites, rock solid briefings, DMs that handled other divers' issues so they didn't interrupt my dives, and averaged 70 minutes dive time with all dives ended by me not the DM. So tell me what "services" I have to gain by paying $30 more per trip? What I have to gain by paying the lower price is 4 dive days for the cost of 3.

I'm an experienced diver. I have my own boat coat. I keep my gear with me for shore diving. I don't need (or want) critters and fish pointed out for me. All I need is a water taxi to the dive site. Plenty of others are like me. Do you understand now?

This info is from their respective websites and are package prices for 5 two tank trips. I used Tres Pelicano's pre tax price as I couldn't tell from the other websites if the prices include 16% tax. I assume they don't, but you'd have to ask. I also added $10 to the Tres Pelicano's price as it wasn't clear if the $2 per day marine park fee was included or not. I added the daily park fee to the other shops prices. Blue Magic reported it as $3 per day and said something about a/the chamber. They also stipulated 5 consecutive days.

$315 - Dive with Martin
$350 - Tres Pelicanos
$370 - Deep Blue
$385 - Blue Magic

I think you'd be within walking distance of a Dive Paradise location to get on one of their boats, but I'm not sure. Since I was already looking, I just added this as a potential. Someone else on here would know better if they're walkable from downtown, or what a taxi would cost to get to them. Could be $6-$8 per day taxi from downtown? (Hotel Coz?)

$405 - Dive Paradise - This would include a "...10% Mexican Government Tax..." and a daily $2 park fee. This is calculated from a daily 2 tank morning rate as I didn't see any "5 day 2-tank trip" package on their website. I think Tres Pelicano's, with the tax and adding the $10 would be $404.

Though DWM is the cheapest, if you add on $10 US per day for taxi to and from the marina, you're just $15 ($365 total) over Tres P ($350), where you wouldn't have to deal with a taxi fee, and just about $5 less than Deep Blue ($370), where you could get on the boat downtown without having to taxi or be transported anywhere. Again, just my personal taste, but I'd happily spend $5 extra per week to avoid having to ride to the marina on my dime or not, and I'd also happily spend $20 more for a week to avoid conveyance and have a nice, relaxed morning. I get up with the sun and have no problem taking my time for breakfast, packing my cameras, etc, and getting on a boat downtown at 9am. I've stayed at Casa del Mar for years. Their breakfast opens at 7am, though things start coming out a little before, just like Casa Mexicana, where I've stayed in the past. I see the hustle and bustle of people that have an 8am departure every day. It's just not for me. It might be fine for you.

So, Tres Pelicanos is probably already the cheapest option of this handful of shops I know of that might fit your bill. There could be another op that would take you out for less, but they just don't get mentioned here very often, or the people that dive with them don't watch this forum very closely so as to add their .02. If you were staying south of the marina, DWM would probably be the cheapest.

Some might prefer to get on the boat at a downtown dock rather than the marina but many of the most popular dive sites are south of the marina and well south of downtown. And it takes a lot longer to cover the distance by boat than by taxi. But maybe some people enjoy the boat ride. I know DWM will pick up as far north as Cozumel Palace.

What I don't understand is the need of some to question the spending decisions of others they know nothing about. If you're going to criticize other people's selection process (and you did, regardless of any disclaimers) then how about you telling us specifically what we are getting or not getting for what we pay for? Tell me what I did not get by paying $65 to DWM as opposed to $95 with another op. Because what I got was prompt pickup, proper tank setup, plenty of water and fruit and snacks, choice of dive sites, rock solid briefings, DMs that handled other divers' issues so they didn't interrupt my dives, and averaged 70 minutes dive time with all dives ended by me not the DM. So tell me what "services" I have to gain by paying $30 more per trip? What I have to gain by paying the lower price is 4 dive days for the cost of 3.

I'm an experienced diver. I have my own boat coat. I keep my gear with me for shore diving. I don't need (or want) critters and fish pointed out for me. All I need is a water taxi to the dive site. Plenty of others are like me. Do you understand now?
l like it when a ride back to terra firma is also included. But yeah I was thinking the same thing the real question is why pay more.

l like it when a ride back to terra firma is also included. But yeah I was thinking the same thing the real question is why pay more.

Guess I missed a base as I do want that water taxi to be a round trip ride.

Dive with Martin is a VERY good dive op and has always had very good pricing. I'm not sure if they still do it, but they used to give a special rate for cash payments.

Some might prefer to get on the boat at a downtown dock rather than the marina but many of the most popular dive sites are south of the marina and well south of downtown. And it takes a lot longer to cover the distance by boat than by taxi. But maybe some people enjoy the boat ride. I know DWM will pick up as far north as Cozumel Palace.

This is true and actually it's safe to say that the vast majority of dives sites are south of the marina. It takes longer to cover the distance by boat for sure, but I don't think it would be much more than 10 minutes longer? Deep Blue leaves downtown at 9am, and I usually get picked up at Casa del Mar by 9:20. In any event, it is a consideration, especially if you get seasick, or don't like being on the boat. I happen to like the boat ride.

Not sure because of the taxi zoning, but if the Palace wouldn't let you use their dock for free (which I suspect is the case), you could get on at Papa Hogs, or whatever that place with the hot tub is called. I think that's south of the Palace. That might still be a $3 one way taxi from downtown? That'd only add $30 to DWM's cost. There could be someplace north of Papa Hogs and south of the Palace that would let you use their dock for free?

Tres Pelicanos also gives a cash discount, which is 5%.

Add me to the list of people who would much rather get on the boat at the marina vs downtown. It's quicker and more comfortable, especially if you have to ride the boat back in a stinging rain on a cool day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom