ProTune filter in other video editors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
GoPro has always offered auto color correction that is pretty good and most people seem to use that. But many people have opted to use ProTune. In ProTune Flat, your video doesn't have eyepopping color because it is not performing the color correction as it records but that allows it to capture more data.

Gopro Studio has a pre-defined ProTune filter with one click applies all the color correction the camera would have done. Unfortunately, Gopro has discontinued Studio. Not only will it not be further developed or supported, it is not even available for download. Quik initially included Studio but that has been dropped. I suppose one can probably find downloads cached on various sites but the writing is on the wall. Time to find another editor.

Details are scarce about the 'coming soon' Fusion Studio but it sounds to me like it's going to be a plugin for Adobe products. And I think Adobe is a Native American word meaning "it'll cost you double".

So the big question is what video editor should all these orphaned Protuners use? Do any competitors have a preset that emulates the Protune filter? It doesn't have to be free but I'm not paying hundreds of dollars and I'm not doing subscriptions.

many people seem to like Sony Vegas Pro. Hopefully one of them will chime in on if/how they are able to color grade protune video. They also offer Sony Vegas Edit, which is less expensive but I don't know if it offers color correction.

At $599, or even $399, that is a non-starter for me. As I said "I'm not paying hundreds of dollars and I'm not doing subscriptions." I'm not a professional and I don't do this as a business.

Plenty of products offer color correction. But I'm not going to invest endless hours monkeying with a gazillion combinations of dozens of controls like hue, saturation, RGB, brightness, contrast, white balance, and more. I imagine the Protune filter was created as some combination of all that by professionals to work best with Protune-recorded footage.

To share what I know, Prodrenalin V2 ($79 image stabilization tool) has a Color Enhancer with two levels where the Intensive seems to come close. It also allows manual adjustment of all those above-mentioned controls. But it's not really a movie making tool to assemble clips and add titles and sountracks. I've found that image stabilization works best on a clip basis.

I went on Amazon and bought a video editor (corel videostudio pro) that came with image stabilization for $25 a couple years ago. it was version 7.0 six months after 8.0 was released. How much better was the editor versus what I would have gotten for $90? Can't really say, but 7.0 was only released a year before that.....

Download Davinci Resolve (it's free and one of the best at color correction) and you can find many free LUT's (.cube file) to download, I have one for Protune that I've used that will essentially give you exactly what you need, a one-click fix. You can import all your clips, apply the LUT and export each one separately, or export them as a single video.

It's a bit of resource hog so you'll need adequate memory and CPU.

Since I'm only doing video for show and tell (I'm 71 and not perfectly steady holding the camera) I find the free VSDC Video Editor to work fine for me. It has a lot of one click "Quick Styles" - including one called "Auto Levels" that is a one click fix everything that works for most of my videos just fine. It also has far more fine adjustments than I have a clue how to use. It's pretty resource light.

Download Davinci Resolve (it's free and one of the best at color correction) and you can find many free LUT's (.cube file) to download, I have one for Protune that I've used that will essentially give you exactly what you need, a one-click fix. You can import all your clips, apply the LUT and export each one separately, or export them as a single video.

Resolve is free but not the souped up system required to run it. I tried, it won't even start, can't find suitable GPU. I'd need to add a $200 video card. And I wouldn't want to drop more money into my current computer.

In the long run, I need a more powerful system for heavy video editing but in the short run, every other app can run on my current system. Performance may not be good, but they run.

For now, I've created filters that I can batch run in Virtual Dub that give me a good look. Actually I like it better than ProTune results in Gopro Studio, which make colors a bit too vibrant.

Last edited:

Scubanoobi can you please tell me where you got the LUT that is like Protune? Thanks

Scubanoobi can you please tell me where you got the LUT that is like Protune? Thanks

Good question... I downloaded it from groundcontrolcolor for free. I don't need to do much tweaking after applying it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom