Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use short sleeve Marigold heavy duty chemical gloves (~10 bucks) that I just pull over cuff rings on my drysuit. Very simple setup, I much prefer it to the cumbersome aqualung and si tech locking systems I used before.
They are nearly identical to the gloves that came with our drysuits and are a cheaper local alternative for replacement. They are easy to use and to store and work fine over the rings like you mentioned. The Plastidip spray mentioned above might be worth experimenting with to make them a little more robust.

Kitchen gloves, Atlas gloves, Plastidip spray... Cheap and local so they will be easy to get and replace as needed. They will be great for ops or training where contamination isn't an issue.

We have the same setup Horg described in post #10. If we're really concerned about cuts we throw in a set of cut resistant Kevlar chef's gloves underneath (they look a little lighter weight then the ones dberry linked to above) if we're worried. We haven't had any cuts or punctures of an outer glove yet, and they're super cheap when it comes time to replace. Generally they last us about a year before they start to dry-rot and crack.

I have accumulated most of the gloves mentioned in the thread except chef's gloves, which sound promising in several applications. I purchased a cheap pair of gloves with "amara" synthetic leather fingers and palms, the Red Cross rep had some unbranded Atlas blue type gloves for me to try, and I already have chemical gloves for hazmat purposes. I still need to pick up some kevlar chef's gloves.

I haven't had the amara palm diving gloves in the water yet but they fit nice and snug with the neoprene back. The Atlas blue style behaved about the same in the water as on land with slight rotation of the rubber away from the palm side of my fingers while handling stuff. I'd like to try a slightly smaller size to see if I can stop the finger rotation but I have a feeling the fingers will be too short. I'll hit a hardware store soon to try some different brands and sizes.
I'm tempted to take some thinner neoprene gloves and spray plasti-dip on them to see if I can get the best of both worlds. Neoprene will be form fitting and the plasti-dip will help with cuts on sharp car parts. The plasti-dip solvent may ruin the neoprene, though. I may try it on my old damaged gloves. I'll try it with the chef's gloves too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom