Two missing on submerged Great Wall - China

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again I know/knew most of the people involved some of them very well. I have not brought up the JJ issue as I have not heard confirmed Haiyan was in fact on a JJ, there would have been at least one more rEvo in Beijing she could have possibly borrowed, but if so, if not in the very recent weeks, she was not certified. She did buy her rEvo via me though in early 2015 and was certified through IANTD. That part is a little vague for me right now although I fear it might be that way.
To borrow a unit which you are certified is not an issue. But using a unit which you are NOT certified is another matter.

Been over a month. Does anyone have any updates?

I was expecting GUE to put up a public statement...
Seems to me like gue distanced themselves from it pretty quick. And I don't blame them. They apparently weren't gue ccr trained or using the gue ccr configuration.

Why after over a month there's no report from the guys participating to the project? I mean, what was the plan and what they saw form the surface at least

Digging inside this long conversation I found this post with the latest recap of the accident.
Google translation is mostly unreadable for me but you can find some new details

作者:知乎用户
链接:
如何看待潘家口水下长城探索项目中 9 月 6 日两名潜水员失踪事件? - 知乎
来源:知乎
著作权归作者所有。商业转载请联系作者获得授权,非商业转载请注明出处。

(Updated on September 28, an increase of fishermen interviewed information) only comb the process of the incident, according to the media and the network public information, brackets for the source of information

September 6
this event a total of 8 people involved. (Qianxi County Public Security Bureau)
12:20, two groups of divers into the water. (Beijing News) Equipment: Clothes, ccr, dpv (micro-channel)
around three in the afternoon, a team of two divers returned to shore normal (Beijing Youth Daily)
another group of two liters of water, its dive computer display, in Suddenly the shallow water is rapidly floating, one of which is very close to the surface, and then the two quickly sink to 62 meters underwater. (
See the microblogging) after 3 pm, the shore staff to see a boat through (Beijing Youth Daily), the water team to see the distant smb (like pull) appears, there are boats through, stay, smb disappeared, support team Immediately to the ship to search, but no results (known)
fishermen A get a complete line with the smb, was another fisherman B in the lake to see, and exchange of origin (known), fisherman A picked up smb orange, has been released 4,5 meters long line, and even a "spool", most of the line is still wrapped around the spool. Fisherman A said, then about three o'clock in the afternoon, a good vision, near the fishing boats, picking up the tourists speedboat and slightly larger cruise through, he found floating smb, do not know how to use this thing, that is swimming Items, intends to bring back to the children to play. Picked up also did not see the nearby water or other people or objects underwater. Then ran into a neighbor, chatting over the lake for more than 30 minutes. During this period did not see any nearby ships appear. After returning to the village of West Bu, will smb on the house under the wall of the house (from the media)

September 16
family members in the vicinity of the terminal to reward the clues (Beijing News, known)
fisherman B told family smb drop (Beijing News reported Fang Li, informed)

September 17
family and B came to A, A said halfway has been discarded smb, after the change in the B under the name of the left to say to the children to play (known), the family said they then back in the A kitchen smb (new Beijing newspaper)
fisherman A said there are 6,7 people come to his home to find smb, he told smb found the approximate location.
Search and rescue team according to the location of smb, to the diver in the original plan to focus on the area of water search (Beijing News)
during the fishing boat near the positioning buoy smb, search and rescue team in the past asked, fishermen answer "I net fish, (Know almost)

17:10 pm, find the first body and three decompression bottles, more than 30 meters from the water point (Beijing News), the depth of 62 meters, face down (Beijing Youth Daily)

September 18
at 10:45, to find the second body and two decompression bottles, the depth of 63.2 meters, face up, his hands shrink in the chest (Beijing Youth Daily), his face up, his hands above the chest, And a gas bottle, left hand in the bottle side, the right hand in the bottle valve, dpv cross in the waist (a paper media rov monitor suspected live photos, privacy protection does not disclose the name)

Two people separated by more than 70 meters (the Beijing News reported 9958 rescue platform), the two separated by tens of meters (Southern Metropolis Daily reported Wang Tong), the two very close (Southern Metropolis Daily reported Fang Li), who are no winding (Beijing Youth Daily reported Fang Li, Beijing News reported Zhu Cheng), respirator off (Beijing News reported Fang Li)

September 23 after the
wide city and moved to the West police, fishery several times to the fisherman A home to do the inquiry and find electric fish equipment (not found). Fisherman A home captain 6 meters, 1.4 meters wide, usually draft about 10 cm. Fishermen A week with children in the field, the family only parents, saying that their family has never been electric fish. (self-media)

August 4, the reservoir surrounding a villager in the reservoir outside the river electric fish accidentally electrocuted. Reservoir fishermen said the reservoirs often have electric fish ship activities, but it is not clear where the electric fish from where the electric fish on the shore, fewer people in the evening activities, the role of shock up to 4,5 meters deep, fishing Won the main fish. (self-media
)​

Facts

Both divers are affiliated with UnitedScuba, a Shanghai dive shop.

Sun was still promoted as their recreational scuba instructor of UnitedScuba, until a couple date after he went missing, where all relevant promotion materials between him and the shop are deleted.

Denovo categorized herself as working for UnitedScuba on social media sites.

The rest of the diving team for the event includes the 2 only Chinese GUE Fundamental Instructors, who work/own UnitedScuba.

Rumors

GUE China, runs by Denovo and others, are believed to be actually managed by UnitedScuba, a for profit company.

Out of the 8 dive crews, at least 4 work/affiliated with the Shanghai dive shop, which indicates who the "organizer" is.

UnitedScuba's GUE Fundamental instructors were conducting GUE Fundamental course over there apart from mapping the area.

United Scuba is a profit-seeking company, who also distributes Halcyon products in the country.
GUE China, managed by Denovo and others, organized not-for-profit dive events using the name GUE China.

Now, people died, and GUE China is an "unregistered organization" to be blamed.

Frankly speaking I couldn't care less about training agencies/organizations involved.
I think this forum is about incident and accident analysis (the old saying "we can learn something from it") so I would stick on dive reports (if any).

Being one of the recovering diver, I only want to state one fact:

Both divers are certified JJ, and on JJ standard configuration.

And Haiyan never did translation for GUE, I did, she helped a bit in C1 material. But that was the old version discontinued now.

All I can say is there is no evidence showing a fatal diver error nor a unit failure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom