MaxAir Swim Fins - Stay Down Longer with Less Effort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frog kicking works out wonderfully but the style is slightly different. If you try to do a classic frog kick you will be disappointed. But a slight modification results in an easier stroke, less wake, and more effective speed. Of course the speed can be traded off for less effort. Why work hard when you don't have to?

On the back kicks the jury is still out. It appears the MaxAir does not back up as well as the boards everyone is using now. They were designed to go forward. That being said, Judy, a senior fish identifier for REEF tested the maneuverability of the MaxAir swim fin prototypes. She found them easy to use with no significant problems. Here is the video.
You can see in the video here that the fins don't silt when using a flutter kick, even close to the bottom. If the diver is not using as much effort to flutter than one would when doing a frog, that might preclude the need for the frog kick (the intent of which is to have an efficient, non-silting kick, yes?).

A back kick is really important for many (I'd bet Judy thinks so too!), and I wonder if you broaden the edges slightly, you might get a better back kick out of these fins?

Helicopters work. One person who tried the MaxAir fins at Blue Heron Bridge was one of REEF's senior fish identifiers. As such she always is carrying a camera. She specifically tested her camera handling techniques which included helicopter spins and backing up. She said they passed with flying colors. Unfortunately, I forgot her name. Hopefully she will see this post and speak for herself.

Two years later and still only the same tester involved?

What is the anticipated selling price of these fins?

I expressed my skepticism toward the business model almost two years ago and it seems I was right. Has anyone who participated in crowd funding been rewarded with a set of fins yet?

I expressed my skepticism toward the business model almost two years ago and it seems I was right. Has anyone who participated in crowd funding been rewarded with a set of fins yet?
There is not currently a crowdfunding campaign going on. If you study crowdfunding at all you will quickly find out that those huge success stories are not an accident.

Don't remember if a crowd funding attempt was detailed.

Do you have a booth?
No, I do not have a booth at DEMA yet but will be on the floor with fins. If you want to connect with me I will give you my cell via a private conversation. I am open to after show hours dips in the local pools.

I expect the initial price to be about $200. Once volume is established it could come down slightly.

Has anyone who participated in crowd funding been rewarded with a set of fins yet?
I am not aware of any crowdfunding effort on fins to date. This is definitely a daunting model as divers are not as active on social media as, gamers and tech followers. That is why I have to build more fins individually and set up testing days. I want to make sure those contributing are convinced they perform as stated.

Two years later and still only the same tester involved?
Yes, as I am currently the only videographer on this project (not a professional one either) and can only show what I managed to capture I have not had anyone else take the time to show me what they got while I was within video range.

Since then I have found a much better material for making the fins. The new material has not been broken yet and has over 80 dives on it. Unfortunately, 57 of those dives were by one diver completely separate from me so I never witnessed any of them. He also has not given me any video. He was real sad to let me take them back though. He got is beginning cave certification using them. His instructor told him he would have to be at the back of the pack because the fins would stir up too much silt but by the end of the class he was put in front.

To do this we will be running a crowdfunding campaign which could be quite profitable for the early backers. Go to www.MaxAirFin.com for more information to learn how they work and get in on the ground floor.

MaxAir Fin Testing Process
Of course we would like to do independent testing but that will likely have to wait until after the crowdfunding effort.

Once we have manufactured the "real" version we will be able to send fins out for evaluation. That will be after we raise the capital to make the molds through crowdfunding.

For the purpose of crowdfunding we are shooting for a $200 funding amount to get a backer a pair of fins and a T-shirt and a personal referral code.
Right now we are offering a $40 referral fee code for the first 400 who sign up now and join the crowdfunding when it starts. That referral code will not expire and will get your friends a 10% discount on the fins they purchase. Every backer will get a referral code but those later in the game will get smaller fees.

For those who sign up early (the first 400) the referral code will get the owner $40 (Yes that will be a check.) for each pair of fins that are bought with them (that is unlimited) Each purchaser will get a 10% discount also. These codes will only go to people who actually back the crowdfunding though. Every backer of the crowdfunding will get their own code but the referral fee will drop as the list grows. So if you and your friends want to benefit the most from this program sign up now.

By adding your names to our mailing list we will be able to launch a crowdfunding campaign sooner to get thousands of these fins out there for everyone to try. Talk is cheap and signing up is free and will actually accomplish something.
emphasis added

Forgive me for assuming that crowdfunding was going to happen here.

And your assumption that I have not studied crowdfunding in depth is mistaken. And again you are mistaken, the huge success stories can quite accurately be described as accidents. Crowdfunding has helped launch many successful products with little to none of the corporate success going to those who choose to contribute. Your money is risked and a product is received IF the launch is successful. If it is not, you get nothing and you lose your money.

That said, despite my deep aversion to crowdfunding I must mention my respect for the original poster regarding the respect shown here to divers, even those of us who criticize at every turn. Often these conversations degenerate into mindless name-calling with little in the way of actual progress.

Last edited:
Forgive me for assuming that crowdfunding was going to happen here.
Now this illustrates one of the big problems of this social media stuff. I thought the question was about an actual crowdfunding campaign for fins. I am aware of none. Yes I am proposing crowd funding. But I have not launched one. Here I am testing the waters and learning a lot.

For instance I learned the scenario Kanadian_Kash quoted will not gain traction as crowd funding. I learned more people need to test the fins. To that end I am working on laboriously building a substantial batch of fins so they can be sent out for testing and used on testing based dive trips.

I also have learned that while a tester has good intentions and loves the fins they do not return video proof which is what you want. So in order to obtain the proof you want I will attempt to join the testers to get the video.

I expect to ramp up group testing sessions in the spring of 2018 and will notify everyone here and by email to those who have put their names on the list.

Exactly what problem are these fins trying to solve?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom