Any experience with Weefine lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jak Crow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have any experience with WeeFine lights? I've been considering the Solar Flare 5000, which appears well priced for a 5000 lumen light.

No personal experience - I dive with a pair of Archon D36V lights - but the proprietary package of 4x18650 cells raises a red flag. With 55 minutes of rated runtime, this means one dive if you keep it turned on throughout, two if you conserve charge, and with LEDs, I find that I really do need the maximum output. Looking through Weefine's site, I don't see extra batteries being offered, and with just one pack per light, you're pretty much tethered to a charger.

No experience here, but I'm curious as well. Looks like there's a Canadian reseller, Kraken, which is branding some of these for US dive shops? I just saw their 3000 ring light which has a strobe mode and looks interesting for macros:

Kraken Sports Weefine Ring Light 3000

No experience here, but I'm curious as well. Looks like there's a Canadian reseller, Kraken, which is branding some of these for US dive shops? I just saw their 3000 ring light which has a strobe mode and looks interesting for macros:

Kraken Sports Weefine Ring Light 3000

I saw that too. The issue with the older version was 1000 lumens was not quite bright enough. This is really interesting for me and macro shots.

Yeah, I haven't gotten into macro yet really myself, but just shooting with a ring light that works for video and strobe is really compelling. Like you said, most of the reviews of the 1000 version were mainly ho-hum about the power level if you're not in really close. The 3000 version can be 80% brighter always-on or 200% brighter as a strobe. Seems like that would be pretty usable, right?

As for Weefine, looks like they're a chinese company started by two ex-Olympus employees if that means much.

Yeah, I haven't gotten into macro yet really myself, but just shooting with a ring light that works for video and strobe is really compelling. Like you said, most of the reviews of the 1000 version were mainly ho-hum about the power level if you're not in really close. The 3000 version can be 80% brighter always-on or 200% brighter as a strobe. Seems like that would be pretty usable, right?

As for Weefine, looks like they're a chinese company started by two ex-Olympus employees if that means much.

I saw the Weefine 1000 at the last Scuba Show here in So Cal, and a friend of mine has one. Well made and as far as I know, no quality issues with them. Kraken is an up and coming company with some good design ideas (strobes with spotting lights, etc.) at competitive pricing.

I have it. Upgraded from a Sola 1200. I'm very happy with it. Make sure you get an extra battery for it. Hong Kong has the cheapest prices for it.

Yeah, seems like the battery would need to be swapped between dives with a 45min burn time, although if you're just using strobe mode maybe it would last long enough for multiple dives. Looks like you can use it with the red light as focus assist and flash white which is nice.

Have you tried the UV light? Any samples to share?

One of my first customers for the RingLight 3000, Mark Nunley - a local instructor, just got back from San Salvador. He really liked the Kraken 3000 ring light and got some great pics with his Oly E-PL5. He sent me a few pics to post.

I'l be taking one with me on a trip to Fiji in two weeks.

Wow, looks great!

I assume to use a wet macro lens with this, you can stack it in between the housing and the light, correct?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom