Rescue class for the semi-fit diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats on finishing Rescue!
For me the course that seemed most strenuous was Ice Diver. After we cut the hole and dragged the ice chunks out of the way, I ached for about three days... The time in water waswelcome respite for my aching muscles...
Ice and Rescue were my two favourite courses though.

I don't have to worry much dragging ice when my gimpiness is well known at my shop!

New shooters ?

New respect ! pistol or rifle ? (or spear gun ?)
Large caliber or small ?

SAM

Pistol: .22, .380, and 9mm

Rifle: .223/5.56

I've taught multiple folks to shot, mostly gals. The husbands have had ill luck teaching them, and their jaws drop when their wives bring home targets with a hole shot out in the center. I have very good luck and a lot of fun teaching them.

But I won't become a firearms instructor for the same reason I won't become a DM. Liability issues and I don't want bureaucratic BS mixed up in something I enjoy.

We had a guy in my RD class that weighted about 300 lbs. First day of the class I thought, "Man I hope I don't have to haul this guy out of the water." Guess who got paired with the 300 lb guy.

Basically I towed him up to shore as normal, got my fins off and dragged him up to the surf, managed to get him on my back for the carry and came out of the surf. The bottom was sandy and "squishy", my feet sank down in the sand and I tripped up and fell down, he fell on top of me, and darned near drowned me before I could get out from under him. LOL

I don't think any reasonable instructor would expect the 90 lbs chick to throw the 300 lb guy on her back and carry him outta the water. The student performs to his/her abilities and that's all that can be expected. In a real situation, I'm not going to throw 300 lbs guy on my back and jog out of the surf like David Hasselhoff on Baywatch. That's not the goal of the RD course. Just like rescue breaths aren't going to save a life every time, every rescuer isn't going to be able to save every victim.

I've assisted with the rescue course regularly and when I'm the "victim" there's just some chicks (and some guys) that can't carry me out of the water. I'm 205 dry and the 16 year old teenie usually can't do it. If they can at least drag me onto the beach in reasonable shallow water (and inch or 2) the instructor considers that good enough. That's just the way it is in real life. As the PADI rescue manual states, you're there to INCREASE THE VICTIMS ODDS of survival, not to guarantee the victim his life.

I don't think any reasonable instructor would expect the 90 lbs chick to throw the 300 lb guy on her back and carry him outta the water. The student performs to his/her abilities and that's all that can be expected. In a real situation, I'm not going to throw 300 lbs guy on my back and jog out of the surf like David Hasselhoff on Baywatch. That's not the goal of the RD course. Just like rescue breaths aren't going to save a life every time, every rescuer isn't going to be able to save every victim.

I've assisted with the rescue course regularly and when I'm the "victim" there's just some chicks (and some guys) that can't carry me out of the water. I'm 205 dry and the 16 year old teenie usually can't do it. If they can at least drag me onto the beach in reasonable shallow water (and inch or 2) the instructor considers that good enough. That's just the way it is in real life. As the PADI rescue manual states, you're there to INCREASE THE VICTIMS ODDS of survival, not to guarantee the victim his life.
My final simulated rescue I did have to rescue a fairly hefty person,when I got to shore I yelled at some random divers to come assist. They responded instantly without question and we backboarded the rescue :)

Think part of the goal is to delegate and get assistance,not solo the entire experience

We had a guy in my RD class that weighted about 300 lbs. First day of the class I thought, "Man I hope I don't have to haul this guy out of the water." Guess who got paired with the 300 lb guy.

Basically I towed him up to shore as normal, got my fins off and dragged him up to the surf, managed to get him on my back for the carry and came out of the surf. The bottom was sandy and "squishy", my feet sank down in the sand and I tripped up and fell down, he fell on top of me, and darned near drowned me before I could get out from under him. LOL

I acted as a victim for an instructor to demonstrate a method of getting people up the beach - rolling sideaways (using the knees as a lever to help pivot) as opposed to dragging. I should note that I am about 250lbs and 6'3 so not small but the people all managed it.

As you say, it should be about maximising the chances, not trying to be 100% perfect.

As I learned during my 20+ years of first aiding (and about 5 years of teaching it to others), very few situations are textbook so you need to be able to think and adapt. I used to be the "dummy" for recovery position every time (I was about 300+lbs at that point) and not one person failed to turn me with the right methods (even down to 10 year old kids).

For everyone out there considering a rescue class but worrying about their fitness or lack thereof - Just take it! We'll all be a lot safer if all divers take a rescue course. If a diver much larger than you has an issue - recruit a few other rescue divers to help you.

I'd much rather dive with a buddy with rescue training than not

I used to teach lifesaving (Water Rescue without the diver part) and one of the goals of the lifesaving society was to get everyone trained. We you hit the certification levels needed to be a professional (Lifeguard etc) the fitness requirements increased but were low for the introductory courses. In my opinion it should work the same way for Scuba Rescue - crank up the fitness requirement when the courses get to professional levels - IE Divemaster / Instructor - but have a goal to teach every diver Rescue skills.

And Marie - congrats!

I acted as a victim for an instructor to demonstrate a method of getting people up the beach - rolling sideaways (using the knees as a lever to help pivot) as opposed to dragging. I should note that I am about 250lbs and 6'3 so not small but the people all managed it.

As you say, it should be about maximising the chances, not trying to be 100% perfect.

As I learned during my 20+ years of first aiding (and about 5 years of teaching it to others), very few situations are textbook so you need to be able to think and adapt. I used to be the "dummy" for recovery position every time (I was about 300+lbs at that point) and not one person failed to turn me with the right methods (even down to 10 year old kids).

I would say that the main idea is to get them to the point where you can safely do compressions and ventilations (if that is called for)... even if they are still partly in the water, so what? Just my 2 cents worth (and that may be ALL my comments are worth) :wink:

Adam

I would say that the main idea is to get them to the point where you can safely and more easily do compressions and ventilations (if that is called for)... even if they are still partly in the water, so what? Just my 2 cents worth (and that may be ALL my comments are worth) :wink:

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom