Do you still use a SPG with a AI computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many of you still have a SPG as part of your everyday gear setup when using an air integrated computer?

I recently got a used reg setup with Suunto Cobra, and have exactly the same question. It is unnerving that both an SPG and a depth gauge are replaced by a piece of electronics that may malfunction at any time. I am leaning towards using it as a spare in case my other (non-AI) computer runs out of battery during the dive trip.

I haven't gone on any dives with it yet, but having replaced a battery in the Cobra yesterday, and knowing just how little stands between the water and the battery compartment would make me feel very vulnerable diving w/o an analog SPG backup in the "main" setup.

I have a hose mount air integrated computer, no backups rational is any of one my gauges go, the dive is up anyhow. As the kids get older and we start pushing the profiles a bit more we will add some redundancies.

I use two different AI computers, so no SPG for rec diving.

A Suunto , that the shop I was working for sold and provided, and Shearwater which I prefer and purchased.

If any equip fails I'm ending the dive, regardless of if it was a mechanical SPG or an electronic transmitter.

I enjoy my Suunto Steel but I use an entire three gauge console as a backup. I really prefer the mechanical compass.

It is interesting to me that divers will carry a redundant pressure guage in order to ensure that they do not get low fills or to avoid ending a dive prematurely in event of AI failure. I think the answers to the question only makes sense when one has a feel for the particular diver's outlook.

For example, I travel internationally to dive every month so I have a lot of instabuddies whom I may not nescssarily want to rely on, therefore I carry redundancies as a self reliant diver. I also love diving in mask ripping currents and carry multiple signalling devices in the event of boat seperation. In other words, I carry a lot of equipment that I prioritise over a redundant pressure guage. To me, a spare mask (prescription lenses) is more important than a redundant pressure guage because, although I am very comfortable in the water without a mask, should I ever lose a mask in a current I will need the spare mask to see my computer if only to ascend safely. The list of equipment that I prioritise over a redundant pressure guage and carry on all dives include:

- spare mask (prescription lense)
- pony
- torch (two on a night dive)
- signal mirror
- smb & reel
- air horn
- nautilus marine rescue
- PLB and canister (carried in more remote areas)
- knife
- line cutter
- 2 dive computers

Whilst I can understandand the redundancy offered by a redundant pressure guage, to me it is very much a non-essential rdundancy.

I wonder what other equipment is carried by the divers who choose to carry a redundant pressure guage.

Not too sound rude but this question gets asked ad nauseum. A search would yield many replies.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/search/29361560/?q=SPG+AI+computer&o=date&c[node]=17

Sort of like questions on "What kind of bcd, fins, regulator, or computer should I buy?" and the predictable SB responses. However, a lot of new divers, and divers recently joining SB, may not be familiar with the search feature, so the questions will continue to pop up with regularity. As always, more experienced members can choose to respond or pass on the questions.

I have an AI transmitter and a button gauge on my single tank reg set. No regular SPG. The button gauge is adequate for me or a crew person to simply confirm that a tank is (more or less) full. The button gauge adds one O-ring as a potential failure point. An actual SPG would add something like 4 O-rings plus a hose as potential failure points.

My regs that I use for doubles and sidemount have no SPG or button gauges. One AI transmitter on each 1st stage.

My deco bottle reg has a button gauge on it and that's it. Again, adequate for me to confirm that it's full at the start of a dive.

For my button gauges, I do use "nicer" ones. $15 each.

Mini-SPG, { 1 in | 2.5 cm } Face

I have used AI on almost every dive I have ever done (~160 over the last 3 years, plus many pool sessions). I have used a "real" SPG on a much smaller number - the dives I did when I first started tech training. I have never had an AI failure of any kind. My first AI transmitter is almost 3 years old now and I still haven't even had to change the original battery - and it is still working fine. OTOH, I bought a brand new reg set for doubles when I started tech training. The reg set came with a brass-and-glass SPG. Not too long after I got it, I was setting up for a dive, turned the gas on my doubles on, started to walk over to my truck to get something, and heard it pop and start hissing. An O-ring on the HP spool between the hose and SPG had blown. I'm just glad it happened before I got in the water, and that I had a spare O-ring with me, so I was able to fix it and still dive.

SPG is mandatory with your AI computer (it's even written in the instructions), it's also common sense to have some sort of redundancy on a such important information. A spg costs nothing, there's no sense to leave it out.

SPG is mandatory with your AI computer (it's even written in the instructions), it's also common sense to have some sort of redundancy on a such important information. A spg costs nothing, there's no sense to leave it out.

Well, dang! I'm an outlaw. But, I will turn myself over without a fight when the Scuba Police come to arrest me.

So anyway, on your non-AI dives, what two SPGs do you use? I mean, it's common sense to have redundancy on that, right?

Back
Top Bottom