Sidemount Equipment Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a Nomad XT with the redundant bladder, but I have Worthington X7-100 and PST LP80 steels (and eventually, AL80 stages and AL40 O2 bottles). My vote goes to the XDeep Stealth, if you're diving AL tanks. I see quite a few of them around here and the people that own them (three of which I dive with regularly) are very happy with them.

Every system will have its benefits and drawbacks though, I'd suggest continue asking around (including various instructors) to find out what they use, and WHY. Ask them the benefits and drawbacks as well.

If you want to try Razor, contact Halocline divers in Playa del Carmen.

You could easily carry 40lbs in a stealth setup. Get the double central weight pocket then add a couple of simple pockets on the waist belt in front of your drop d-rings. Easy peazy.

For 2 tank, warm-water diving with AL80s, I think it's definitely worth consider the Deco Sidemount. It's very effective, very cheap and very lightweight for travel.

If you need a bigger wing... for a thicker wetsuit, bigger tanks (AL100s) or 3+ tanks (deco/stages).... then I'd suggest the XDeep Stealth Tec... and Razor as a close 2nd.

Razor is harder to setup and doesn't 'manage the turtleshell/beach-ball as effectively... , but is more lightweight. Personally, there's a bunch of mods I like to do with Razor, whereas XDeep only needs some minor and quick hacks to optimize. XDeep is much simpler to setup and adjust.. very effective in the water.. but slightly more bulky to pack in a suitcase.

Florida-cave style rigs (Hollis, DiveRite, Halcyon, HOG etc..) just aren't well put together for using aluminium cylinders. Massive modifications needed.. and even then, far from optimal. For the reasons why, read here: The Two Schools of Sidemount Diving Heritage

Last edited:
Thanks Norwegian. I will actually be in Playa del Carmen early next year (taking a Cavern diving course) so I will add them to the list to visit.

You might want to consider Mom's Hotel, which is right next door. Cheap, within walking distance of numerous restaurants and a place where you're likely to run into divers from all over the world.

In re adding weight capacity to different side-mount rigs: I found that using only the spine weight pockets of my Katana left me floating head-downwards, especially when carrying my negatively-buoyant camera rig. My remedy was to put external weight pockets on the waist-belt, between the upper and lower D-rings. I chose DiveRite Clipper pockets, which can hold about 6 lbs or 3 kg in each pocket; using two 2-lb weights in each pocket gives me the flexibility to move more weight to one side, if I need to re-balance myself laterally. The weights can also be jettisoned in an emergency, though it's not as easy as pulling quick-release pockets....

Just wanted to update this post, I got back from my trip to Cozumel. I did the Cavern diving course and some cavern dives in Playa during the first week I was there.

I got to see both the XDeep and the Razor in action and was quite impressed with both sidemount systems (Instructor and DiveMaster used them). I am going to try to acquire an XDeep Stealth Tec 2 rig and try to get some sidemount training locally although I am not holding my breath on getting any kind of quality training...

Just go to Protec, buy a Stealth, and get the training from them. Stay at Mom’s right above the dive shop for ease. It’s literally a turnkey solution for you.

Protec Playa - Moms Hotel. Been there. Great set up. See Rob at Protec Playa!! Love my Stealth!!

I got to see both the XDeep and the Razor in action and was quite impressed with both sidemount systems (Instructor and DiveMaster used them). I am going to try to acquire an XDeep Stealth Tec 2 rig and try to get some sidemount training locally although I am not holding my breath on getting any kind of quality training...

If you don't think you'll get proper and/or quality training through your local dive shop, then don't do the training with them. As a cave and sidemount instructor, when someone comes to me having done a sub-par "course" the amount of remedial work we have to do is usually the same if not more than what we would have had to do if they had just done their full sidemount training with me. I say more work because some times, what was [wrongly] learned becomes a terribly bad habit that's quite difficult to break.
So if you don't trust that you'll get quality training locally, then hold off on the training, book a trip somewhere else (Playa is a great place, as you surely discovered!), and get trained right the first time around.

Back
Top Bottom