Grand Cayman shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Becca65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
my husband and I really love shore dives - thinking of going to Grand Cayman next spring - I see Sunset house has on site shore diving - but they are pretty expensive...thinking of maybe staying somewhere less expensive and renting tanks/weights from dive shops for shore dives - anyone have information about shops and or shore dives in Grand Cayman? thanks in advance!

Sunset House takes walk-ins but you're required to use their tanks on-site. Any of the divesites with resorts on them (most of them) are similar. We just rented on-site at all of them.

The two places to rent tanks I know of - there's not many others - are Eden Rock downtown or Divers Supply in West Bay. Eden Rock is also a shore dive but suffers from decades of cruise divers - the port is 500' away. One of the caverns collapsed recently when a container ship grounded over it. There's 2 dives there - Devils Grotto is south but accessible.

South of Sunset House is Smith's Cove - I've not dove there but people do. Bring your own tanks/weights - Sunset House won't let theirs off the property.

There's also an average dive called Cheeseburger Reef out front of Lobster Pot Dive Center which is about 1/4 mi. north of Eden Rock. 3-4 operators are based there so someone likely can rent you tanks.

Next shore diving is 6-7 miles north past Seven Mile Beach. Cemetary Beach is a shallow site there.

A few minutes north of that is both Lighthouse Point and arguably the best shore dive on Cayman a little farther northeast - Turtle Reef. Lighthouse has Divetech on site for tanks. Turtle Reef has Sundivers (no website but it's there) for tanks. Since you use their facilities you rent from them.

Turte Reef is a good dive, there's a mini-wall about 50' out that parallels the shore - to the south in about 40' there's a Tarpon Cave with dozens milling aorund - move slow and you can get in among them. Also from there or Lighthouse you can swim out ot the north wall but it's a distance so maybe better done partly on the surface.

East of there is Cobalt Coast resort with Reef Divers onsite - IDK them at all.

Two more affordable resort options are Comfort Suites or Sunshine Suites - neither on the beach but close and both have a dive operation - one of my favorites is Ambassador Divers at Comfort but their boat is a few minutes away in the marina.

Another option is there's a couple of condo complexes on the north wall with their own acccess (ladder over the ironshore) Coconut Bay? is one but all 2-3 br. condos. There's a couple of 1BR rentals at Hepp's Condos - from there you can access Hepps Wall/Arch also. I've read you might have to place the ladder there occasionally - they don't leave it in the water. Lighthouse Point also has condos on-site but they're nicer and more expensive.About 20mins. to town from there and not much nearby - a couple restaurants. Macabuca Tiki Bar is at Turtle Reef - short walk from Coconut Bay - it might not be "Bay".

Some older info on most of the sites - some of these no longer exist. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Cayman Islands, Caribbean Videos of many of them can be found here - idivecayman.com

fyi - nothing is inexpensive on Grand Cayman. They fix their CI$ at .80 US$ so you're 20% down on arrival. Plus everything is imported so pricey.

my husband and I really love shore dives
You know about Bonaire and Curacao right? About the only reason to boat dive on Bonaire is to get to 25 sites off Klein Bonaire - if you tire of the 60+ shore dives along the west coast. Curacao isn't as many (50?) but the entries are much easier - usually off the beach instead of over the ironshore.Curacao even has the Dive Bus - run by great people, Suzi and Mark.

Last edited:
my husband and I really love shore dives - thinking of going to Grand Cayman next spring - I see Sunset house has on site shore diving - but they are pretty expensive...

So any particular price range you are looking for? I've never checked the pricing at Sunset House.

Most of the popular shore dives on GC have onsite ops and you can rent tanks/weights from them. It's not like Bonaire where you usually work with one op and load up the truck and drive down the road looking for dive sites.

If you rent a car on GC you can stay at a less expensive location and drive to the various shore dives and rent a tank(s) on site. They have good roads but you have to be okay with driving on the left side of the road.

There are a few condos/resorts on GC with a house reef, like sunset house, cobalt coast, and lighthouse point and they usually offer free shore dives on the house reef on days that you are boat diving with them. I have heard that the Sunset House reef has gotten pretty beaten up but I haven't been diving there lately.

Where do you want to stay? Seven Mile Beach is the most expensive but it is the most popular area. There are other less expensive options but you will need to drive. We usually stay in Bodden Town at the Turtle Nest Inn, and the price includes the rental car. We usually drive to the shore dive sites and/or make arrangements for boat dives with one of the dive ops, depending on which side of the island we want to dive.

Cobalt Coast has an all-inclusive package that includes diving, meals, and accomodations - 2 boat dives per day and unlimited shore dives on the house reef. Their shore dive gets winded out pretty often in the winter but I don't know what it is like in March.
Dive Packages

The dive op at the Holiday Inn is also the onsite operator for Lighthouse Point and I believe they will transport you by van for the shore dive.

Last edited:
We have a group going to CCR next August and they gave us a really good deal I think. $1175 and it includes 7 nights, all meals, 12 boat dives, one afternoon dive to the Kitty Wake, transfers, taxes, etc. Only thing not included is tips for dive crew and alcohol. I picked August because typically, that's when it's the calmest and your chances of getting in shore dives are much better.

appreciate all the info - we actually found a pretty good deal at a small family run B&B that is very close to Don Foster's and Sunset house - their website says the husband of the "family" is a dive master so can get info from him as well. Yes, we've heard of Bonaire and want to go there - but flights to get there seem a bit scarce - really don't want to spend 20+ hours getting there...maybe next year.

appreciate all the info - we actually found a pretty good deal at a small family run B&B that is very close to Don Foster's and Sunset house - their website says the husband of the "family" is a dive master so can get info from him as well. Yes, we've heard of Bonaire and want to go there - but flights to get there seem a bit scarce - really don't want to spend 20+ hours getting there...maybe next year.
Have fun on Grand Cayman- I am sure you will love it- I certainly do love it and have made many trips there. Not sure why you would need to spend 20+ hours getting to Bonaire from the Texas Gulf Coast though? I can get to Bonaire from Portland, OR or Los Angeles, CA with a layover in Houston, TX via United Airlines in less than 12 hours and same day and I do it regularly. United has direct flights from Houston to Bonaire every Saturday and return every Sunday. Check it out for your next dive vacation- You will love it just as much as Grand Cayman. All the best!

When I searched for flights to Bonaire all the ones that came up went from Houston to Minnesota or Atlanta or Miami before going to Bonaire - and they all had a long layover - plus they were over $1000 per person. We'll do Cayman this year and then try to find a direct flight to Bonaire next year - thanks again for all the info!!

Chiming in late here, but let me offer some tips as well. Rent a car. It is one of the few affordable things on the island and you will need it to explore and get to dive sites, even if just on the west side. Dive and eat and eat and dive at Turtle Reef. You can repeat this a number of times during your stay. I never get tired of diving this area and the dive shop is excellent. When not diving, visit the public beach where Calico Jacks is located but try to do it when there are no cruise ships in and preferably on a Sun. It can be a zoo with cruise ships in but enjoyable when they are not. Fun food and drink and right on 7MB. Enjoy your trip

Back
Top Bottom