New diver. From zero to red sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Syb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone

I am a new SCUBA diver. Grew up as part of a family of 4 kids, on a farm, far from anything exciting. Studied engineering and landed me an all right paying job.
My friends have always nagged me to start diving with them but unfortunately I could just never afford it.
Start of this year I did my Open Water (Naui) and went to Sodwana Bay, South Africa for my qualifying dives. Loved absolutely every moment of it, being on and in the sea, swimming with dolphins, seeing some sharks and the beauty of the reefs for the first time in that up close and personal way with incredible viz conditions. Who can ever forget that first time they rolled back into the deep blue ocean, after the whirling of the bubbles is gone you suddenly see everything down to the ocean floor and you are just astounded by the massive amount of clear blue water below you and you are floating, free.

So I would just like to introduce myself. I am 24 year old young man from Johannesburg, South Africa. My diver experience was zero at the start of the year and the goal is to end of my year with more than 34 dives under my (weight) belt, having experienced the tranquility of Sodwana, Tofo (Mozambique) and Hurghada (Red Sea) and also be an advanced scuba diver with deep diving qualification up to 40 m with a Nitrox certification. I also bought the full set of gear except some minor things as I know that I am sold on diving for the rest of my life.

I really enjoy diving and can no relate to the rest of this community. I hope to be part for many years to come.

Cheers

Welcome to ScubaBoard, Syb. As I'm sure you're discovering, this is a tremendous resource and community.

I'm also about to dive the Red Sea (near Hurghada) for the first time, and am VERY excited!

It's great you have found SCUBA so early in life, and have diving friends already. Ideal!

Reactions: Syb
Welcome !
Many years ago I was in grad school with several Sud Afrikaners... Leaned a lot about your country and its people who I respect very much.

I suspect you have the same adventuresome can do attitude that they had

I also suspect that you will enjoy a long career in diving

SDM
NAUI instructor A 27 (not too many A's remain)

Last edited:
Welcome and as the others have said, you are lucky to have discovered scuba so early in your adult life.

Be sure to relax and enjoy the experience both underwater and above water e.g. All the great people you will meet , the beauty of the sea , the comeraderie on the dive boats etc . We are big fans of diving in South East Asia , if you ever go on a longer trip , can highly recommend it.

Best fishes x

Welcome !
Many years ago I was in grad school with several Sud Afrikaners... Leaned a lot about your country and its people who I respect very much.

I suspect you have the same adventuresome can do attitude that they had

I also suspect that you will enjoy a long career in diving

SDM
NAUI instructor A 27 (not too many A's remain)

We are definitely a group of adventurers. If you go through our history and what this nation has been through you will start to understand our fighting spirit. I am not just talking about the past few decades, which the globe is mostly familiar with. Back to the point, I completely agree with you and absolutely hope that I may have many wonderful future diving experiences. I have watched the film, Le Odyssey recently and it spoke right into my way of thinking. Thanks for the reply.

@Syb,

I remember so well the stories of the battle of Rourke;s Drift (Spelling ? Name ?) The first encounter with the Zulus and the awarding of 14 VCs -- What a battle and what a heritage !

Some years later I saw the movie "Zulu" which explained Rourke;s Drift even more reinforced my positive impression of your county and people. As I recall it was Michael Kane's first starring movie ( Old movie !)

After some difficulty I located a copy of "The washing of the Spears; the story of Shaka Zulu" extremely interesting book, but difficult comprehend because of all the native names.

I also recall that In Perry Gilberts monumental 1970s book Sharks and Survival he indicated according to the then records that Durbin SA was the shark attack capital of the world -- So don't dive in or around Durbin

So yes I am impressed with your country and people
SDM

@Syb,

I remember so well the stories of the battle of Rourke;s Drift (Spelling ? Name ?) The first encounter with the Zulus and the awarding of 14 VCs -- What a battle and what a heritage !

Some years later I saw the movie "Zulu" which explained Rourke;s Drift even more reinforced my positive impression of your county and people. As I recall it was Michael Kane's first starring movie ( Old movie !)

After some difficulty I located a copy of "The washing of the Spears; the story of Shaka Zulu" extremely interesting book, but difficult comprehend because of all the native names.

I also recall that In Perry Gilberts monumental 1970s book Sharks and Survival he indicated according to the then records that Durbin SA was the shark attack capital of the world -- So don't dive in or around Durbin

So yes I am impressed with your country and people
SDM

You really did learn some interesting stuff about the Republic of South Africa. So it was Rorke’s drift. Very interesting story. Then we also have the battle of Blood River, I know, sounds nasty. The country is absolutely rich in history for such a young nation. Another important one would be battle of Majuba hill.

Most of our fathers were also part of the “Bush War” which was fought in Namibia / Angola. Some of them went as young boys and came back as broken men.
If you google “32 battalion Savate” you will see how hard this country fought against communism. It was non racial and a pure unbiased fighting force that did some amazing work in the bush war. It is another story of how we can go on even if the odds are stacked against us. Savate was a battle where 15 “32 battalion” members were killed vs 558 of the enemy. The Willem Ratte, in the story was my father’s army commander.

We also had a great relationship with the USA and Israel at a time, especially the CIA and IDF but all that is something completely lost today. Working as an Engineer, I have now met a few people who used to, undercover, work with the Israeli government to develop our countries’ military equipment. Must have been fun.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida USA...i really enjoyed reading your introduction and good luck on your dive adventures....

Welcome

Back
Top Bottom