Best Technical Computer in 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dellos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm at time to choose new computer for my next 3-5 seasons. Price tag is not an issue as I want to invest for 5 seasons and then go for next computer.

I found two interesting computers it's Ratio iX3M Tech+ and new OSTC 4. Also looked at other computers but usually they are for 130m max regarding sensore accuracy and no Buhlmann ZHL16-B (usualy you get Buhlmann ZHL16-C)... regarding OSTC 4 they don't give specification is it B or C but I've send some questions to them.

Also would be nice to get from OSTC 4 some more future as Ratio is providing:

1. Mixes are programmable from 05 to 99% O2 and 00 to 99% He
  2. Up to 10 gases (instead of 5+1 in OSTC 4)
  3. Transmitters (i'm not shure if there are some transmitters for OSTC at all??)
  4. Up to 40h on one charge (there is information than it's up to 40 hours for OSTC but at website you get info that it has 40h on dive and in paper/specifications you get inf that it's 40h in some ECO mode)... it's confusing
is there some other pretendents for 200m+ tech diving with Buhlmann ZHL16-B and VPM-B that are worth mentioning?

As for now on OSTC 4 suport forum there ale lot of "problems" regarding software and hardware. Even some problems with virtual buttons regarding usage under water and on land.

Also there are some more critical errors. I know that OSTC 4 if fresh on market... but as I understand it's company with lot of experience and they should make changes to product fast for stable usage?

My native language is polish so sorry for any mistakes.

I am looking into a shearwater perdix. I have talked to tec Divers and it seems most of them recommend this computer.

Regarding OSTC 4 - as I see it has smaller display, but working up to 45h on AA battery is super! But as I see it's using Bühlmann ZHL-16C not B and VPM-B upgrade is extra payed. Also could't find info if can I compare/switch during dive the Bühlmann and VPM-B. But the Price tag is also 1 point for shearwater perdix. Almost 2x shearwater perdix for price of one OSTC 4.

and -1 point for perdix regarding information // The guaranteed depth accuracy range is to 130 msw / 425 fsw.

How deep are you planning on going. I asked the same question on this site and the perdix always came up as one of the best. My local lds owner is a well known east coast wreck/ tec diver and he swears by them. If you do get the ostc 4 let me know how it works for you.

Calling @stuartv! I am pretty sure he has the scoop on all three mentioned.

Perdix or Nerd2, both Shearwater.

I dive the Petral and Perdix. Just saw the Nerd2 at DEMA and will order a few for myself and to sell in the store.

My article: The Best Technical Diving Computers 2017

Personally, I don't think anything currently beats Shearwater.

I wouldn't touch anything with chargeable batteries... not when it's a 10 second task to replace an AA battery in computers like the Shearwater. It just avoids a common headache and failure point.

10+gasses on a single dive?!? Who does?? IMHO it's just a BS gimmick to distraction from other missing functionality.

Who'd want ZHL16-B?? .. which (as I understand it) was implemented for producing tables, not 'live' deco. ZHL16-C is the modern standard for computer implementation.

In Europe I would go with the OSTC. From what little I have seen it is comparable to the Shearwater and if I remember correctly it is open source as far as the software. Shearwater is a North American computer.

In Europe I would go with the OSTC. From what little I have seen it is comparable to the Shearwater and if I remember correctly it is open source as far as the software. Shearwater is a North American computer.
Some may prefer open source software, fair enough, but not sure what the relevance of region of origin is?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom