Help me figure out hose lengths and gauge sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, just looking at the price of an Omniswivel...boy, they're expensive!

Ok, just looking at the price of an Omniswivel...boy, they're expensive!
Yes, it cost more than the Conshelf I'm using it on. I tried one of the cheaper swivels but it tended to loosen over time with rotation and would leak slightly. The Omniswivel has no issues so far and glad I bought it.

Yes, it cost more than the Conshelf I'm using it on. I tried one of the cheaper swivels but it tended to loosen over time with rotation and would leak slightly. The Omniswivel has no issues so far and glad I bought it.

if you disassemble the ball and put blue loctite on there they don't go anywhere. It's part of the service manual for them. I've had a couple come loose and a little dab of blue loc-tite and they've stayed put for years

Please tell me more about fixed angle 70 - 90 degree vs. omniswivel. There are so many details personalizing one's setup but I'm learning so much!

The omni vs. nothing vs. 70 (aka 110) vs. 90 is really a matter of personal tolerance for hoses tugging on the reg, getting as streamlined as possible, and (in some cases) compensation for a hose that is slightly too short.

The omni is as you've seen expensive and requires a certain amount of maintenance. Some divers find that it makes their hoses "floppy" due to the lack of any anchorage, which is thought to be a drawback. I've never used an omni because I am largely happy with my configuration the way it is.

There is really very little difference during the dive between a 70 and a 90. I've used both. The 70 is maybe a little better but I'm not sure it matters much. These are much cheaper than an omni initially and the only maintenance is replacing an o-ring at reg service time, which is trivial to do, and something that I don't think is usually charged for. They are supposed to swivel, that is, turn freely, at the point of attachment to the reg and to the hose, but the angle remains fixed. The elbow adds a little length and reduces the amount of length you need in most cases, so they are helpful if you've ended up with a necklace reg hose that's a little too short.

The omni vs. nothing vs. 70 (aka 110) vs. 90 is really a matter of personal tolerance for hoses tugging on the reg, getting as streamlined as possible, and (in some cases) compensation for a hose that is slightly too short.

The omni is as you've seen expensive and requires a certain amount of maintenance. Some divers find that it makes their hoses "floppy" due to the lack of any anchorage, which is thought to be a drawback. I've never used an omni because I am largely happy with my configuration the way it is.

There is really very little difference during the dive between a 70 and a 90. I've used both. The 70 is maybe a little better but I'm not sure it matters much. These are much cheaper than an omni initially and the only maintenance is replacing an o-ring at reg service time, which is trivial to do, and something that I don't think is usually charged for. They are supposed to swivel, that is, turn freely, at the point of attachment to the reg and to the hose, but the angle remains fixed. The elbow adds a little length and reduces the amount of length you need in most cases, so they are helpful if you've ended up with a necklace reg hose that's a little too short.

Since I'm setting up my first set of regs, I think I'm just going to go with the 70 angle adaptor for now, due to the less expensive cost and less hassle re maintenance. I suspect I will eventually swap the 40" hose out for a 5'. I just like that setup. Like @tbone1004 said, looping the long hose around the neck really does reduce the regulator weight, and therefore is very comfortable. I have felt it and I like it! But the reg set I'm getting doesn't offer a 5' option, just a 40" and the next size up is 7'.

@2airishuman and @Dogbowl the elbows have to be fully disassembled regularly as the pieces are screwed together and held by loc-tite. I have seen the threads strip and blow the elbows in half as well as unscrew. This is supposed to be done every time you service your regs, same with the omni swivels.

If you suspect you will go for a 5' eventually, just go get it now, or get the 7' and tuck it. That way you don't need a swivel and you can determine if you actually need one in the future after you dive without it. The 5'in my opinion is a solution looking for a problem in all but a very small group of people. It's not long enough for real single file air sharing which is why they aren't allowed in overheads, but they are still long enough that they are a major source of dangling when on the surface. If you're tall or have a big chest *which doesn't apply to you* they can pull funny in your mouth, or if you're slim they can flop around because you have no adjustment or attachment points. The difference in the 7' hose means you stuff it into your waist belt where you can secure it during the dive as well as adjust the length to where you are comfortable.
If it were me, I'd get the 7' and try it. If you don't like it, then you can get the 40" hose with an elbow or swivel later, but I doubt you'll go from a 7' to a 5'. If you are thinking about potentially cavern, the 7' is going to be a requirement and your 5' won't be allowed so may as well get that one now and if you decide you want shorter go with the 40" and elbow.

@2airishuman and @Dogbowl the elbows have to be fully disassembled regularly as the pieces are screwed together and held by loc-tite. I have seen the threads strip and blow the elbows in half as well as unscrew. This is supposed to be done every time you service your regs, same with the omni swivels.

If you suspect you will go for a 5' eventually, just go get it now, or get the 7' and tuck it. That way you don't need a swivel and you can determine if you actually need one in the future after you dive without it. The 5'in my opinion is a solution looking for a problem in all but a very small group of people. It's not long enough for real single file air sharing which is why they aren't allowed in overheads, but they are still long enough that they are a major source of dangling when on the surface. If you're tall or have a big chest *which doesn't apply to you* they can pull funny in your mouth, or if you're slim they can flop around because you have no adjustment or attachment points. The difference in the 7' hose means you stuff it into your waist belt where you can secure it during the dive as well as adjust the length to where you are comfortable.
If it were me, I'd get the 7' and try it. If you don't like it, then you can get the 40" hose with an elbow or swivel later, but I doubt you'll go from a 7' to a 5'. If you are thinking about potentially cavern, the 7' is going to be a requirement and your 5' won't be allowed so may as well get that one now and if you decide you want shorter go with the 40" and elbow.

@tbone1004, just to clarify, if I'm using it for open water diving only (let's forget about cavern for now), do you think that the 5' hose is more trouble than it's worth? I think you're saying that the 5' hose is an awkward length because after it goes underneath my right arm, it gets floppy and dangly because it's not tucked in anywhere. Did I understand that right?

Since I'm getting two reg sets, I'll get a 40" with elbow for one, and a 7' hose for the other, just to try it. I think that'll work!

@tbone1004, just to clarify, if I'm using it for open water diving only (let's forget about cavern for now), do you think that the 5' hose is more trouble than it's worth? I think you're saying that the 5' hose is an awkward length because after it goes underneath my right arm, it gets floppy and dangly because it's not tucked in anywhere. Did I understand that right?

Since I'm getting two reg sets, I'll get a 40" with elbow for one, and a 7' hose for the other, just to try it. I think that'll work!

yes, the 5' hose to me is a solution looking to a problem. One of the original arguments for it was with the DIR crowd when not using a canister. You had a hose that didn't bow *vs the 36" hose they used before*, it didn't use any extra "failure points" with a swivel/elbow like the 40" required.
Personally I don't think it really is worth the trouble because tucking the hose in the waist belt isn't difficult and works just fine. Even for very short people, the hose length is adjustable by how much you tuck into the waist belt.

Ordering one of each is certainly not a bad idea

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom