Sony 30/3.5 macro for fish portraits.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Issue

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello.

Today in use Sony 10-18/4 and Zeiss 50/2.8 on my A6500 camera in a Nauticam house. I lack 19-49mm focal length.

I need something for medium fish portraits. I recently discovered on Nauricams port chart that i can use my macro port for Sony 30/3.5 as well. This is a very cheap lens and not something i would choose normally. But i really don’t have money for another port at the moment.

Have anyone use this lens and can tell me how the experience was? Is it good enough to bring below the surface or should i wait and save for something better?

Thanks i advance.

As the OP of one of those threads, let me provide a quick update. I just got back from a trip to the Bahamas during which time, I dove with a Sony a6000 in a Nauticam housing. I too used the 10-18 f4 lens for wide angle. For everything else, I shot with the 16-50 kit lens in the Nauticam 36128 port and the 36172 zoom gear. I am still running my pics through Lightroom. (Due to TS Phillippe there was a lot of suspended particulate and I have a lot of spot removal to do.) Overall, I found this lens to be a fairly good compromise without the expense of buying both a new port and a new lens.

I will post a pic shortly taken with this lens.

Last edited:

Thanks.

As the OP of one of those threads, let me provide a quick update. I just got back from a trip to the Bahamas during which time, I dove with a Sony a6000 in a Nauticam housing. I too used the 10-18 f4 lens for wide angle. For everything else, I shot with the 16-50 kit lens in the Nauticam 36128 port and the 36172 zoom gear. I am still running my pics through Lightroom. (Due to TS Phillippe there was a lot of suspended particulate and I have a lot of spot removal to do.) Overall, I found this lens to be a fairly good compromise without the expense of buying both a new port and a new lens.

I will post a pic shortly taken with this lens.

So, you did not use the 30/3,5?

No I didn't. I am trying to post a pic taken with the 16-50, but for some reason, I am not having any luck.

Here is a pic that I shot last week on the Austin Smith Wreck in the Bahamas using the 16-50 kit lens:

Grouper.jpg

I have done very little to this, it is pretty much how it came out of the camera.
It was shot at 34mm f5.6 and 1/160 sec.

Sorry i have no interest in 16-50. Only reason i am into this cheap lens(30/3,5) is becuase i can use it with my port i already own. Thanks tho.

Here is a pic that I shot last week on the Austin Smith Wreck in the Bahamas using the 16-50 kit lens:

I have done very little to this, it is pretty much how it came out of the camera.
It was shot at 34mm f5.6 and 1/160 sec.

Nice shot! That's the lens/port setup I use with my a6500 and have been happy with it so far. Here's a shot from Iceland I took using the 16-50 mm at 16mm f8 1/160 sec.

Cod at Little Strytanss.jpg

Sorry...didn't mean to hijack the thread.

0A4E06EB-4C88-4C88-828C-4AEABDBD8D7F.jpeg
1D42FF3E-CC96-42DE-9F79-507496C9BCE0.jpeg
1EC596C6-D870-4CD8-A167-77C4071304BF.jpeg
95B366BA-7C4F-42B8-B6EA-8378E7388D3D.jpeg
I started Diving with the Sony 30/3.5 with an nex-7 when it first came out. I have to say I love the combo and some of my fav dive photos came from it. It works great for fish portits plus you have the benefit of being able to shoot Mack as long as you get close. I mean reallllllly close! It’s a cheap sharp lens an you won’t regret it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom