Swivels and reels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XxDiveLifexX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anybody heard of using ball bearing swivels (like for use with fish) on jump reels to keep them from getting a nasty line twist. Apart from the obvious of adding a potential failure point I do see some advantages to doing this. Reel retrieval would be much easier and when you're running your spool back through your Loop you won't have that giant bird's nest at the end of it. If u tie proper knots and inspect ur equipment thoroughly there should be no reason why this wouldn't work want to know any of you have any experience or thoughts on this. Examples I see for potential use is in peacock spring P3 the jump to Henley's Castle or P1 jump to the Nicholson tunnel thanks in advance

So...

I saw one today at Madison. It was on an Apeks spool. Apparently Apeks spools have them (see under features).

Apeks Spools

So...

I saw one today at Madison. It was on an Apeks spool. Apparently Apeks spools have them (see under features).

Apeks Spools
Nice didn't know they made them also don' want to pay 90 to 150$ for a jump spool. Hoping I can find a bag of 5 stainless steel ball bearing swivels for 10$. Hoping someone with experience in using these either pros or cons can shed some light on this. thanks for the reply

The White Arrow spools do the same thing. They use SPRO heavy duty swivels.

I've done it to a couple spools just to play with. Don't notice much difference really. Will probably take them off.

I've never thought to myself that I really need a better way to manage the line when dealing with a spool. Now to be honest I use reels more often than spools but I used to favor spools at one time. My lines including primary reel have nothing on the ends, as they end up staying in the cave for line repairs or exploration. It was nice for navigation when everyone used to have the colored beads on the end and you could describe a route to someone by knick knacks (i.e. turn left at the purple marble, but you don't see that very much anymore).

Whatever you go with knot the line. It is helpful in zero vis or if you ever leave it in the cave it is already done. Don't take unknotted line into a cave.

My buddy uses a swivel on himself spools. Has been doing it for years. They work very well. The extra ties do act as additional failure points, but I think he'll use daily one particular knot for its security over others. Idle knots but he does well, so I couldn't tell you what he used. I don't see the need for it for me personally but I've got no problem followings him on a jump when's he's uses a swiveled spool.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom