December 2017 trip - pacific Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

forestfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
There will be 4 of us (my husband and I with ~20 dives each, 2 teens who will be newly certified) traveling over winter break. I am leaning towards staying in Guanacaste (using Rocket Frog or Rich Coast). I'd really appreciate any info on best places to do 2 days of diving, good place to stay, and near land-based activities.

Thanks

We didn't do any land-based activities, just diving.

I believe Rocket Frogs have some rooms for rent in their new clubhouse, but I've no idea if they've enough room for 4. We stayed in Los Almendros next door. Rocket Frogs are good guys. They typically run 2 tanks/day but will do 3 if you ask -- or you can take a few Al50s and swim around the rocks to the right and left of the beach (it's snorkelling depth there so an Al50 can easily last you close to an hour). The dives are typically deeper and colder (and shorter) than what you'd do on the Caribbean reefs. But the fishes are friendlier.

There's only one restaurant and all the shopping is in the next playa over, where there's also a couple of resorts and dive shops. I imagine most of the touristy stuff would be there too, so if you're looking for land-based stuff, that may be a better option.

Did you ever make plans for your Guanacaste trip? Just had the opportunity open to me for Christmas week and looking for dive options.

No, we didn't. We ran into some issues, and cannot make the trip this year.

Sorry to hear that! When you are ready to go, I highly recommend Rocket Frog Divers. Michael, the owner, is awesome and has a great sense of humor. :) They have very new boats that are well taken care of and FAST. They are large, spacious, and their staff are all very friendly. They were amazing 2 years ago, and I know they are in a new dive shop and have grown a lot since then so their facilities are even better than before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom