Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two dives at Point Lobos today. Wave model looked sketchy & there were some dramatic breakers on the rocks between Bluefish and Whaler's, but the surge wasn't too bad and the vis very good in deeper water.

First dive: Hole in the Wall and Lone Metridium
Buddies: Raftingtigger and sea_otter
Bottom time: 66 minutes
Max Depth: 66 feet
Visibility: 5-10 feet on the surface, 35+ feet in deeper water
Water temperature: 52.2 to 56.5F
Surface conditions: sunny with a good breeze. Big swells breaking on the rocks, but pretty flat in Whaler's.

We surface kicked well out 'til we got into the chop from the swell and descended. Viz at the ramp was 3 or 4 feet. The surface vis improved to about 10 feet by the time we dropped and opened to 20+ feet in about 40 feet depth. We soon reached HITW & I was far enough ahead I thought I'd be clever and race around to the other side to be there when my buddies arrived to shoot some video of them. Sea-otter had a similar idea and was above me as I rounded the point, then realizing what I was up to headed back the way she came. By the time I reached HITW and pointed my cameras through it they were nowhere to be seen. I headed back around the point and spotted them milling about HITW wondering where I was. LOL Should'a told them what I was up to. D'Oh!

We continued on to Lone Metridium which was in full bloom, looking in good health. Having the least air, I signaled return, and back we went, checking out a cabezon and lingcod on the way. We turned south in one of the channels, then worked our way out to the sand channel. We did a moving safety stop and surfaced well in Whaler's with in an easy swim to the ramp.

Second dive: Middle Reef
Buddy: Raftingtigger
Bottom time: 65 minutes
Max depth: 64 feet
Visibility: 20 feet along the reef
Water temperature: 5.2. to 58.6F
Surface conditions: sunny with less wind. Swells seemed to have picked up a bit, surgy along Middle Reef.

We dropped a bit sooner, cruised along the edge of the sand channel for a wile, then cut over to Middle Reef proper at the "other" hole in the wall. The surface vis was about the same as mentioned above, but only opened to 20+ feet along the reef. There seemed to be more big rockfish and some nice schools of tubesnout. We worked our way to the end of the reef, turned around, and cruised over the rocks about midway between the reef and sand channel. I spotted a nice Cabezon, not particularly well camouflaged, that decided swimming under me while I was filming it was a good idea. A little after passing the Worm Patch I spotted a nice Thornback Ray hiding in the loose kelp bits. It had no particular objection to us pulling the kelp away from us while we filmed. Another swimming safety stop put us near the ramp where I got a close clip of the seagulls on the adjacent rock.

Did 3 dives today. First was South Monastery in the shallows. Vis was about 30 but dropped a little by the end. Second dive was North Monastery shallows and vis was close to 40. Third dive was with Mubin and that was the premiere dive of the day. Worked our way out to canyon and vis was 40-50 in spots. Huge Lings and Cabazone with schools of Blues. Moon Jelly on way out. Calm and Blue. All dives 53 degrees. Breakwater looked like somebody pooped in a bath tub. Brown and not inviting.

2 cert. dives this past weekend for Dry Suit off San Carlos Beach. Basically diving inside a washing machine because of the low pressure area that just passed the night before. Tons of surge and horrible visibility but I completed the dives with another cert. under my belt.

I managed to lose my backup light during the BCD removal/donning exercise so if anyone finds a blue Pelican...

2 dives at the breakwater Saturday morning to test weighting/fit on a new drysuit.

Dive 1 -The wall
40ft, 40 mins, 10ft vis.
Several sea puppies put on quite the show for us. Somersaults, bubbles in our face, close up swim-bys, and generally hanging out with us for a good portion of our dive.

Dive 2- Metridium fields
49ft, 47 mins, <5ft vis.
Terrible vis, but we decided to make it work anyway. Hundreds to thousands of sea nettles in the area. First time diving through a jelly swarm like that for me so they ended up being the highlight here for me.

Coral street today was surgy down to 35 ft. VIs at that depth was a decent 20ft but afraid is mostly just rock covered in urchins to see.
, no kelp at all and far fewer fish than usual

All along the street there are no parking until after 10am signs for the marathon. Will be in effect tomorrow also. The road around lovers point was closed to traffic completely

Sunday12, dove north of north Monastery wall. Did a bit of a hike to south of Carmel Meadows but almost zero surface swim once fins where on.
20'vis in the shallows. Kept going west and 10 degrees to the left till the single metridium came to view at 37'. There the vis opened up to 45'. The scenery was wide and mostly yellow with nice sunlight. Kept going west till about 80' and there were 3 mola molas. They were getting cleaned by a few small rock fish I think. The mola molas were not spooked at all. Was within arms reach.
Went down to 104'depth to look for more molas but did not see more. What a spectacular day finally.

Mobeeno,
Glad to hear you had such a nice dive, I was tempted to try Carmel but with a WNW swell thought it might be too much for my son who is newly certified and my buddy for the dive.

I am curious to know where you entered from exactly. was it at the pin in the attached map?

Ken

Attachments

• Carmel Meadows.jpg
    Carmel Meadows.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 64
Ken, congrats for your son getting certified. That pin is too far, some call it Wedding Rock. Very nice but rarely calm. The arrow indicated was the entrance

Attachments

• amet.jpg
    amet.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Mobeeno, thanks for that map. I like the area that entering there get's you straight to. I often end up turning my dive there when doing North Monastery and always wish for a bit more time in that area.
That stretch where you indicated entry always looked too rocky to me for entry. Did you find a nice channel right there to take you past the shallow rocks?
-Ken

Mobeeno, thanks for that map. I like the area that entering there get's you straight to. I often end up turning my dive there when doing North Monastery and always wish for a bit more time in that area.
That stretch where you indicated entry always looked too rocky to me for entry. Did you find a nice channel right there to take you past the shallow rocks?
-Ken
Yes, after shallow rocks there is a sandy channel.

Back
Top Bottom