Misool Eco Resort - An Eye Opener

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I was doing some research on Raja Ampat and exploring the different diving alternatives (i.e. land-based vs. liveaboard) and came across this documentary about Misool Eco Resort and its fight to save the area from shark finning camps and dynamite fishing, etc. My eyes have been opened and I will be booking my trip with them. I make it a point to support establishments that truly make a difference.

It is the best way to dive Misool for sure and it will be a unique experience.

Somewhere in the archives of the internet I hope the story of the resort beginnings still exist. There was a blog or website that followed the multi-year process of building the resort. It was a very interesting story. I didn't think it would ever get finished. It began with three people. There was another guy there doing a lot of the work with Andrew and Marit. I don't remember his name. He left before it opened I think. I recall thinking that was a lot of time spent on a remote island of nothing only to leave before it finished. The first time we approached the island your first thought is how beautiful it is. You don't see any of the bungalows, or at least not back then. There is this ramp of greenness that rises up from one side.

Somewhere in the archives of the internet I hope the story of the resort beginnings still exist. There was a blog or website that followed the multi-year process of building the resort. It was a very interesting story. I didn't think it would ever get finished. It began with three people. There was another guy there doing a lot of the work with Andrew and Marit. I don't remember his name. He left before it opened I think. I recall thinking that was a lot of time spent on a remote island of nothing only to leave before it finished. The first time we approached the island your first thought is how beautiful it is. You don't see any of the bungalows, or at least not back then. There is this ramp of greenness that rises up from one side.

Thanks! There's a story behind everything and this resort's story is particularly fascinating to me. I will search the internet for what else I can find!

There was another guy there doing a lot of the work with Andrew and Marit. I don't remember his name. He left before it opened I think. I recall thinking that was a lot of time spent on a remote island of nothing only to leave before it finished.
A few years ago, -while I was waiting for a boat that never came on a pier in Ambon-, I met and discussed with a guy who's now the owner of Blue Motion in Ambon and Banda.. he told me he was part of the original team who built MER.
He seemed somehow bitter about a few "marketing" things tho...

Thanks Luko. I spent a few minutes trying to google it with no luck. The journal was somewhere I got to via a link Wetpixel, but that had to be 2003-2004 time frame.

I seem to remember there was a German guy who was skilled in carpentry that was with them at the beginning....

Sounds like a falling out of some some sort? That’s a real shame. Such a passion these guys must’ve had for this place.

A few years ago, -while I was waiting for a boat that never came on a pier in Ambon-, I met and discussed with a guy who's now the owner of Blue Motion in Ambon and Banda.. he told me he was part of the original team who built MER.
He seemed somehow bitter about a few "marketing" things tho...

Well, I have an on-going "argument" with them about a few marketing things....i.e. their prices! :banghead:

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom