Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kayaked to Pescadero Point out of Stillwater today. Not as good as what Mobeeno and Ken had, but still very beautiful. Surface was glassy with little swell. Vis was 30+, watertemp was 57deg. to 65ft. Lots of life, tons of rockfish, many large live abalones, an unidetified shark sighting, and a HUGE ling, and... a s#*t load of current. A beautiful day indeed:)... happy diving...

Could have been a big leopard or a small seven gill. Saw only an outlining sillowet of a shark body looking up from depth into the sun for a moment. Wish I had more info. It was a breif encounter.

Amazing day at Pt Lobos today! Clear, cool and sunny up top and very calm conditions in the water. We got in the water right around peak high tide and had the easiest surface swim out - super flat surface and all the kelp had been pushed to the east side of the cove :) Dropped around the Worm Patch and meandered along the Sand Channel and Middle Reef about halfway up until we hung right for Granite Point Wall. Viz opened up to about 40-50ft of blue water when we got there and we spent about 30min exploring the first valley behind the wall itself. We also spent another 30min on the south end of Middle Reef on the way back but viz was not as good and there was a bit of surge.

Very fishy dive - we saw at least 5 large sheephead, one that was actively hunting a crab in the rocks. Lots of kelp crabs as well, in much larger numbers than I've seen before. I also thought I saw a medium-ish patch of krill (??), not really sure what they were.

-> 86min, 68ft, 61F on the surface, 54F at depth

Did two dives with Mubin today. Extremely calm at both sites. First was Butterfly House. Vis was not as good when we first dropped but it opened to 50 +/- as we went out to the pinnacles. A Seal buzzed and circled us a couple of times. Saw a small Thety's chain. I tried to get Mubin to demonstrate the Butterfly House back roll off the roof but he said if he did it I would have to go next. Second dive was Chutes and exit North Monastery. 50-60ft vis. Awesome. Saw a Spanish Shawl at about 100ft. Water temp for both dives was 54. Stellar November diving.
IMG_2518.JPG

Last edited:
Two fun dives today at Point Lobos with Raftingtigger. The vis was excellent---30+ feet in the cove and 50 feet out by Hole in the Wall. The wave model looked ominous, but it was pretty flat for both dives & the swell didn't really pick up 'til we were packing up to leave.

First dive: Hole in the Wall to Lone Metridium via Beto's Reef (I think)

Bottom time: 61 minutes
Max Depth: 72 feet
Visibility: 50 feet!!!!!
Water Temperature: 54 to 56F
Surface conditions: Overcast. Flat Seas.

We spent our first dive looking for the Giant Pacific Octopus, following a compass heading recommended by a friend. We wandered all over the place, possibly as far as Beto's, eventually circling back to Lone Metridium (closed today). We never did find the GPO, but there were various fish to look at and lots of jellies in the shallower water above us. Found a nice ball of Blue Rockfish to film during our swimming safety stop.

Second dive: Across Whaler's Cove to Coal Chute Cove & back again.

Bottom time: 82 minutes
Max Depth 42 feet
Visibility: 30+ feet
Water Temperature: 54 to 59F
Surface Conditions: Still fairly flat, but surgy from the building swell. Overcast with some rain developing while we dove.

Expecting the swell to get worse, we decided to take advantage of the good visibility and putter around Whaler's Cove. We took a compass bearing on Coal Chute Cove, dropped at the boat ramp, and cruised along. There were lots of fish and I had a male Sheephead give me a close pass. When we finally reached the other side I enjoyed checking out a seagull swimming above me with a fish cruising just under it. We had actually wandered into Coal Chute Cove, which I didn't realize until we wandered into the caves. We swam to the back of the first cave, considering a swim through, but decided against it 'cause of the swell. Exiting Coal Chute, we cruised back on a more-or-less reciprocal heading running out of water about 50 feet north of the ramp.

Ah, c'mon gang. We aren't letting this thread die, are we? Conditions for Monterey look great for this weekend. Somebody's gotta be going tomorrow or Sunday. Alas, not me. I went last weekend despite the questionable forecast. One look at McAbee told me I was going to enjoy the water from topside that day.

A report sent to me said 50 foot vis at Breakwater today. I plan on verifying that Monday. Anyone who goes out over the weekend, please post.

I’m supposed to meet someone on Sunday at the Breakwater. I’m going to do a little gear testing while I’m at it.
Sound like it’s going to be epic!
I’ll post about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom