Jim Jointer- BEST Publishing Co

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
My friend , confidant and favorite book seller for fifty years..

A passing of one of the pioneering diving greats who gave the diving world knowledge from the all the diving books he published. Jim's contributions to acquisition and documentation of all aspects of diving were monumental and will never be equaled again in the diving world

Jim T Jointer

Jim passed away with his loving family by his side, on August 27, 2017.
He was a 27-year Flagstaff resident and business owner. Jim was born in Long Beach, California in 1935. After receiving his degree in Zoology and Chemistry from the University of California Los Angeles, he attended the UCLA School of Medicine where he specialized in Microbiology and Immunology.
His passion for diving and medicine were soon combined into his life’s careers. During his tenure as President and CEO of the College of Oceaneering, Jim developed diver training programs and curricula for law enforcement officers, researchers, scientific, military and commercial divers and diver medics. To support these programs he founded Best Publishing Company with his wife Susan, which eventually grew to become the world’s largest publisher of books, textbooks, and manuals related to all aspects of diving, hyperbaric medicine and wound care management. He proudly edited and published the NOAA Diving Manual and the U.S. Navy Diving Manual.

Widely recognized for his contributions to the health and safety of all divers and diving medicine worldwide, as well as hyperbaric medicine and wound care advancement, Jim received numerous awards, was inducted into the Commercial Diving Hall of Fame, and formally recognized with a U.S.Congressional Award (99th Congress) for Outstanding Service and Contributions to Safety of Diving.

Nothing was more important to Jim than his family and he will always be remembered for his generosity, humility, patience, and wonderful sense of humor. He is survived by his wife of 46 years, Susan, and his children, James (Rachel), Nicholas (Brooke), Jules Biggerstaff (Thomas), Stacy L, and eight grandchildren, Isaiah, Jaden, Elijah, Simona, Josie, Isla, Nolan and Charlie all of Flagstaff; and sisters, Joan Amaral (Jim Thomas), Joette Waldon (Bob), Janice Munday (Jeff) and his brother John Joiner, plus a large extended family, which included many special nieces and nephews.

The family requests stories, photos or memories of Jim to be sent for keepsakes to s2joiner@yahoo.com. His Memorial is planned for a later date.

Sam Miller,111

It is with great sorrow that I'm just now learning of Jim's passing, but I must convey my thanks to you Sam for bringing this information to my attention. Just getting started on our annual holiday card envelope stuffing, so know to address this years' missive to Susan, and express my condolences in an appropriate manner.

Sorry to hear about this. I started working at the College of Oceaneering right after he left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom