Getting to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about Vancouver, but going through US customs/security in Toronto is a major PITA (upwards of 3 hours standing in unending lines). That's why I will always choose to NOT transit through the US if at all possible, unless, of course, I'm actually going to the US or departing on a cruise in Florida.

Just my personal preference I guess.

Not sure I understand. Going from Vancouver to Bonaire via Toronto, there would be no need to go through US or Canada Customs.
Security in Toronto in my experience, takes about 1/2 hours, same as everywhere else.

Not sure I understand. Going from Vancouver to Bonaire via Toronto, there would be no need to go through US or Canada Customs.
Security in Toronto in my experience, takes about 1/2 hours, same as everywhere else.

@Doctorfish, you mentioned that "An alternative would be Vancouver, Houston, Bonaire." And various other posters in this thread also mentioned the same. When you travel into the US, or even transiting through the US to get to another foreign jurisdiction (in this case Bonaire), you have to go through US customs in Toronto. I'm not sure if this is the case in Vancouver.

I have done this many times in the past several years because I cruise a lot, so I go into Florida a lot, mainly Fort Lauderdale and Miami. It takes upwards of 3 hours standing in lines going through US customs, then security. That has been my experience. In fact, on Pearson's website, they advise to check in 3 hrs in advance for flights bound for the US. It's a totally different story travelling to other foreign destinations. It's only going to the US that is this crazy.

Now, I'm a regular traveller and I do not have Nexus or any special credit card privileges that get me through the customs and security lines quicker. My friend does and she always beats me by at least an hour. She has Nexus and the super duper AE card.

Back on topic:

I will be taking the Sunwing non stop flight Toronto to Bonaire in December.
Will let you know. Seems to me, Vancouver to Toronto then Toronto to Bonaire might be the easiest and cheapest option for the OP. An alternative would be Vancouver, Houston, Bonaire.

I agree with some of the other respondents that going to Aruba or Curacao and then on to Bonaire is a PITA.
Hmmm, Toronto, Sunwing...
I doubt it will be worth it, but whenever i seem to find a more teasonably priced flight from Chicago to Bonaire (not via separately bought tickets) it's with a ridiculously long layover or two..
Maybe going via Toronto might make sense... LOL, compared to some of those flights I could drive to Toronto, fly from there and be faster...

Anyway, what would you consider a good rate for a Toronto to Bonaire flight?
(CAN or USD?)

FWIW, the Sunwing Toronto to Bonaire direct flight is relatively new:

Sunwing is pleased to announce the addition of the Caribbean island of Bonaire to its ever-growing roster of sun destinations. Canada's #1 to the sun will operate a weekly flight between Toronto and Bonaire that will depart Sundays between December 17, 2017 and April 15, 2018 inclusive. The convenient flight service will provide Canadians with the only direct connection to this relatively undiscovered tropical gem, and complete Sunwing's service offering to the trio of the 'ABC Islands' that make up the Dutch Caribbean – Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao; making it the only Canadian tour operator to offer direct flights to all three.

Sample fare on April 15 - 22, 2018 is CAD671 or approx. USD528 at today's exchange rate. I think it's reasonable.

Toronto is not far from Chicago, that might make a nice option for a connecting flight!

Toronto is not far from Chicago, that might make a nice option for a connecting flight!

Yes, but Sunwing is a "sun" carrier so I'm not really sure if you need to buy tickets once or twice. It's an option but not without its hassles.

For Curacao it does look like the best option ATM if you're within driving distance from O'Hare.

Edit: and don't have to park the car at O'Hare for the duration.

Last edited:
The problem with using Sunwing is they only allow a maximum of 14 days. Not sure why that is.
For our upcoming trip we booked Calgary - Newark - Bonaire with an overnight stay in Newark. The last time we went Calgary - Houston -
Bonaire, but our flight out of Calgary was delayed causing us to miss our short connection in Houston, and we ended up Calgary - Las Vegas - Newark - Bonaire, which was a real pleasure. Never taking that chance again.

Seattle to Houston to Bonaire on United is how I've done it in the past. Vancouver to Toronto, then Sunwing to Bonaire would be an option but Vancouver to Toronto adds $400 or so and has nasty connection times. I will probably use one of the flight compare sites posted previously and pay what I must:)

Back
Top Bottom