'Standard' Regulator set-up with BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone I know with this setup puts a D-ring on the right hip and clips it off to there with a breakaway attachment. Reach shouldn't be a problem if your octo hose is '40 and the harness at your waistline. Give it a try.

I use the "traditional" octo length with my BP&W and have no issue with it being on the right chest D ring. I simply fold the hose to fit inside the d ring so that one pull on the reg and it is free. I have no issues with it getting in the road and due to the location it is very visible to any diver looking for my backup (be it my buddy or one of the group).

I am not sure I would like it on a waist D ring though - unless the diver is at an angle, that position does not make it as easy to find.

Never had any issues with any other divers (I have had a number of different buddies on various trips).

I am in the same situation as the OP as I consider different configs for my new (about 12 dives) BP&W set up. (Thanks Chester for starting this thread as it has answered some questions I have too)

I like the necklace set up for my secondary, which is on a 21" hose. I am considering going back to my 40" hose for my primary for recreational diving. Based on this thread, it seems like this config would work just fine. I still like the idea of donating my primary which would be on a 40" hose and using my backup that's on my necklace, rather than having the backup set up with the traditional rec set up and donating the backup, which is on a shorter hose.

The shoulder D rings seem to be a bit high and the regulator might inhibit arm movement. The hip D rings are also probably a bit too low, but what do you guys think. I know most people would use a long hose set-up with a BP/W but is it possible to use an Octo set-up safely somehow?

This works wonders on chest D-ring, just like it does on a jacket: https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Scuba-Octo-Holder-Strap/dp/B00TKM1NO6/ -- the hard part is finding them for a buck that they're worth instead of $5 that every reseller is charging.

:D and $4.95 s&h I expect?

OP, you listening? Buy a few, have a couple of spares in your bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom