Any general tips for first time liveaboard trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think others gave great advice. I just wanted to say congratulations on booking your first liveaboard. Welcome to the dark side and it’s a slippery slope, indeed. I went on my 1st one in Sept 2016. Between then and Oct 2017, I did 4 liveaboards. I have another scheduled in April 2018 and then 2 back to back weeks scheduled in September 2018.

What’s that I was saying about slippery slopes? :D I LOVE it so much i haven’t looked back. Shore diving makes me snort and laugh now. Plus, the water at home is freezing.

I’m going on my first liveaboard in April. I’m doomed if I fall in love. Will need to get a 2nd job.

Some good stuff mentioned here. The Number one rule is discard 50% of the cloths you think you'll need and then discard 50% of the rest.

I always pack a multi-way extension lead so that I only need 1 power adaptor and I can charge my stuff in a convenient place away from the socket ( I often have more than one charger needed)

MY other top tip is a toweling beach robe. View attachment 435989 you can throw it on right after a dive, especially great after the morning dive or night dive

Make sure your bags fold flat too to save room. I normally take North face bags as they keep the sea air away from my "dry clothes"

Also I choose not to take a log book, but always a note book I can write up the site names and details to enter later at my leisure.

Enjoy your adventure!!!

I agree that you don't need many clothes, shoes, or beauty products. And a long toweling beach robe is lovely and warm after a dive, especially a night dive - but I don't use one. They are large and bulky and take a lot of room in the luggage and they can take time to dry out, IMO.

I bring 2 thin beach cover-ups that pack light and dry quickly and at least 3 swimsuits. I also bring a short hoodie jacket that I can layer on top for warmth when desired - and I can use it in other situations - on and off the boat.

I like that liveaboards eliminate the need to pack & prepare not only for diving, but also for vacation on land. I can take what I need for a dive vacation and nothing else (as if that wasn't enough stuff anyhow). I don't need to dress for dinner/dancing or shore life in general, and I can have significantly less worry about non-divers and poorly commited divers trying to get us to stay up too late, drink too much or otherwise do things that interfere with the diving.
I usually wear sneakers, don't take any extra shoes and pack nothing fancier than a clean t-shirt. Liveaboarding is simple that way & I really like that.

@Diving Dubai: You said “Also I choose not to take a log book, but always a note book I can write up the site names and details to enter later at my leisure.” Why no log book with?

@Diving Dubai: You said “Also I choose not to take a log book, but always a note book I can write up the site names and details to enter later at my leisure.” Why no log book with?
People still log dives??? I stopped logging dives like years ago. I'm on vacation, no way am I going to do work!

I’m going on my first liveaboard in April. I’m doomed if I fall in love. Will need to get a 2nd job.
@Dogbowl which LOB will you be doing in April?

If I can offer one piece of advice that you will probably not get anywhere else, keep an eye out for the Toronto Outdoor Adventure Show. It is typically late February/early March out at the International Centre on Airport Road. Last year the Explorers Fleet, Allstar Fleet (Aquacat, Blackbeards, Cuan Law etc), and a couple others had displays as did Dive Provo, Coco View (Roatan) and other resorts. You can get a chance to talk to someone from the LOB that you will be going on and get some first hand info that you mind not otherwise have the opportunity to get access to.

@Dogbowl which LOB will you be doing in April?

If I can offer one piece of advice that you will probably not get anywhere else, keep an eye out for the Toronto Outdoor Adventure Show. It is typically late February/early March out at the International Centre on Airport Road. Last year the Explorers Fleet, Allstar Fleet (Aquacat, Blackbeards, Cuan Law etc), and a couple others had displays as did Dive Provo, Coco View (Roatan) and other resorts. You can get a chance to talk to someone from the LOB that you will be going on and get some first hand info that you mind not otherwise have the opportunity to get access to.

I’m going on the Belize Aggressor IV.

Thanks for the tip re the Toronto Outdoor Adventure Show! Will be on my calendar for 2018.

I’m going on the Belize Aggressor IV.
Hey! I was on the BA4 this past September! Watch out for that blue hole! 130fsw sneaks up on you in like nano seconds.

Hey! I was on the BA4 this past September! Watch out for that blue hole! 130fsw sneaks up on you in like nano seconds.

Thanks for the tip!

Shore diving? WTF is that? I went to Bonaire once and thought, "Wait, I spent all this money so I have to pack all my gear, climb over rocks, then swim out to the site?" Enter the magical world of livaboards-and now I've never looked back! Bonaire was great, but I Livabaords are so much more awesome to have to your hotel, food, and diving right on the same boat.

So true, so true. I go to work to pay for liveaboards. That’s pretty much what it feels like these days. Ha!

Or 3rd. You’ll also need to start dealing some stuff out of the trunk of your car or your trench coat. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom