Emergency evacuation from liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you lose a passport?! When I'm away, mine is stuck somewhere safe or actually in a safe. I don't carry it around with me and it doesn't matter what country I'm in either. Stolen is different but losing it is baffling to me.

Chilly - you should be married to my wife as a learning lesson so you can become unbaffled. :nyah:

- Bill

How do you lose a passport?! When I'm away, mine is stuck somewhere safe or actually in a safe. I don't carry it around with me and it doesn't matter what country I'm in either. Stolen is different but losing it is baffling to me.
In the case of my employee, she did not drive, so no license. She was young enough to need to carry ID. So she carried her passport. On vacation in Vegas. Getting very drunk. Twice.

Easy to lose anything like that :)

I lose things all the time. So does my mother. I think it's genetic. :p

I wondered that too. But where is the safe place if the liveaboard catches fire/sinks? Do people that do these trips have it in a hotel safe and pay for that and/or a room while on the boat for a week? My wife's was stolen as mentioned in Vegas, but she forgot she left it on the bed not in a safe or safer place.
I'm paranoid about passports. After airport security it goes back into my carry-on even before my boots go back on. Same thing at the gate--goes in the bag while walking down the ramp to the plane.

How do you lose a passport?!

Water pipe in wall breaks, flooding basement office where our passports are in a filing cabinet. Company hired by insurance company comes by to take everything to be dried. Contents of basement are distributed among 30 odd boxes upon return. Able to find all passports but mine.

Filed for a lost passport, etc, and a year later I find my old passport stuck in a folder with my mortgage documentation.

I have only been on two live aboard dive boats so far. The last one was the 6 month old French Polynesia Master a terrific new steel hull boat. We were taken in small groups of 4 and shown to our cabins and as the same time, the safety features of the dive boat: Water tight hatches and automatic doors that would close, location of smoke hoods and air, ladders life jackets etc. We even had a drill. None of this happened on my previous live aboard with another fleet. I was impressed at all the safety gear and the thought that goes into it. With the sinking last week of a live aboard boat, perhaps we give this some thought about what if....

I have only been on two live aboard dive boats so far. The last one was the 6 month old French Polynesia Master a terrific new steel hull boat. We were taken in small groups of 4 and shown to our cabins and as the same time, the safety features of the dive boat: Water tight hatches and automatic doors that would close, location of smoke hoods and air, ladders life jackets etc. We even had a drill. None of this happened on my previous live aboard with another fleet. I was impressed at all the safety gear and the thought that goes into it. With the sinking last week of a live aboard boat, perhaps we give this some thought about what if....
I think the Master boats, especially the purpose built ones, are not even on the same playing field as the wooden junks.

Last edited:
I agree. The French Polynesia Master was built in 2016 launching in December for the business of SCUBA Liveaboard business and is IMHO awesome.

I have been on LOBs where you hand over your passport to the Captain and he keeps all of them in his safe; especially when the boat will make different ports of call during the trip. The Captain goes ashore first with all of the passports and gets clearance for everyone on board to disembark.

I have been on LOBs where you hand over your passport to the Captain and he keeps all of them in his safe; especially when the boat will make different ports of call during the trip. The Captain goes ashore first with all of the passports and gets clearance for everyone on board to disembark.
This is common on LOBs where you go from country to country, for example, the Caribbean Explorer II, where you leave St. Maarten/St. Kitts, visit Saba, and end up in St. Kitts/St. Maarten. LOBs that stay in one country typically don't, unless they strongarm you that last night for tips/sell videos and you have to go to the purser to clear your tab/get your passport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom