Shark bites spear fisherman, Carmel, CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One (of several) reasons why I gave up spearfishing back in 1975. I've the diver is going to be OK and will not lose his leg. I cannot verify that but I certainly hope it is true

I read this morning that the man bitten is expected to make a full recovery. Physically anyway... I'm curious if he had big fish bleeding out on his stringer attracting the bigger fish. No articles give any mention of it. The bite victim is named Grigor Azatain. I hope to read about his experience if he feels inclined to share it anywhere. Glad he's goning to pull through this.

Shark Attack in Monterey

Thanks Rob for the two posts.

Lets all hope the victim recovers with out problems- physically and mentally

And this event does not dampen your sprits and enthusiasm for diving --as Jim Steward of SIO fame always stated, and I have also often stated, after the shark bit him and removed his bicep muscle "Sharks are an occupational hazard of diving" and they certainly are an occupational hazard of diving

Cheers from south CenCal

Sam Miller,III

I don't get the point of the video in these news reports. It stays focussed on nothing (water) for long periods of time. Am I supposed to see something that might be a big shark or what gives?

They didn’t say if the guy was freediving or scuba diving?
Freedivers generally are at more risk of shark attacks because they spend a lot of time “breathing up” on the surface (with fish attached to them via a stringer). White sharks are ambush predators and like to attack things on the surface from below. Scuba divers rarely get hit or harrassed while they are meandering down on the bottom amongst the rocks. White sharks seldom attack from the top down, and certainly not down towards the bottom. They are also very sensitive to metallic noises and bubbles so scuba gear would also be a turn off to them.
However, the thought HAS crossed my mind a few times doing extensive surface swims in scuba gear, especially with a game hook full of fish.

To be honest, I worry about being harrassed by big alpha male sea lions more.

I've read that this attack occurred shortly after the divers entered the water and that they had not speared any fish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom